BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

03-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #45
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Im the guy that changes the oil every 3k miles, and I don't let the rpm go past 3k while the oil is warming up. Only engine mods is intake and exhaust at 50k. If you are planning to keep your car for a long time, I would change it for preventive maintenance. I replaced mine at 56k and my bearings did show premature wear. I feel better that I saved myself $15k for a used motor. Its usually around $3k if you take your BMW to a independent shop. The upgraded bearings and rods are around $1k but the labor gets you because it involves more work. My stock 335i has 125k miles on stock bearing and no issues. The S65 is a nice motor but you can't deny there are bearing issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #46
JonM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
So that I (we) don't have to dig back through these painful rod bearing threads...what is the current recommendation on the brand/type rod bearings to use if one chose to replace the stock bearings?
Can someone answer this question? Or at least summarize the latest and greatest available choices?
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #47
doogee
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Can someone answer this question? Or at least summarize the latest and greatest available choices?
At the moment there is no "recommended option".

None of the options are proven yet, no one even knows if the bearings were the problem to begin with. Could of been assembly error from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #48
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
At the moment there is no "recommended option".

None of the options are proven yet, no one even knows if the bearings were the problem to begin with. Could of been assembly error from the factory.
FWIW: the guys who build engines for a living are the ones that came up with the BeBearings solution, AFTER doing measurements and research.

Other solutions include VAC-Clevite coated, VAC-Calico coated, and WPC treated bearings. There are plenty of members on this site that have installed at least one of these solutions.
      03-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #49
doogee
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
FWIW: the guys who build engines for a living are the ones that came up with the BeBearings solution, AFTER doing measurements and research.

Other solutions include VAC-Clevite coated, VAC-Calico coated, and WPC treated bearings. There are plenty of members on this site that have installed at least one of these solutions.
VAC is not new to building engines.

At the moment, they are the only bearings proven to show no wear after 40,000 supercharged miles, which is why I went with them over BEBearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #50
admranger
Curmudgeon
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mlife View Post
Doesn't look like the composition change did much this past week I've seen a 2012 zcp and a 2013 zcp that grenaded because of rod bearing issues.. BMW should just offer a free new engine to anyone who's engine grenades theres definitely a design flaw.
If you know how to contact them, get them to go to the NHTSA site and input their data as a safety issue. Also, there's the class action lawsuit thread here so they can contact the attorney in NJ heading that up.

'16 X5 40e, Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, multi contour seats, HK
Appreciate 0