BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Riding along with a professional driver?

Is there anywhere I can ride along with a professional driver on a track? Every time I see a video of someone riding shotgun with a professional driver they're always freaking out with excitement or want to piss their pants so I feel like I would get a kick out of the experience. I've seen online that this can be done with Nascar but I'd rather be on a track with twists and turns.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4662
Rep
18,213
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Do a track day, most tracks have instructors that are or were pros of one level or another.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #3
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Do a track day, most tracks have instructors that are or were pros of one level or another.
I have no desire to track my car. Do tracks have programs where someone can walk in and ride with a driver? Perhaps even pay to do so?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4662
Rep
18,213
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Most probably dont. Where do you live. May be able to set something up but would come easier to someone who is a track junkie and already knows those people.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
Rich150001
First Lieutenant
39
Rep
398
Posts

Drives: 2017 Stingray
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arlington (Ballston), Va

iTrader: (0)

Nurburing has the Ring Taxi. Maybe there's a market to have these in the US too?
__________________
08 E92 M3 AW (Sold) / 09 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

I'm in Los Angeles, more specifically the Culver City area.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4662
Rep
18,213
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Lots of track guys in that area they will chime in. M3 Number 86 comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich150001 View Post
Nurburing has the Ring Taxi. Maybe there's a market to have these in the US too?
Just Youtubed this. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Wonder if there is something similar to it in the states.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4662
Rep
18,213
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Pacific raceways my home track has a track taxi that was a e92 m3. Call laguna, thunderhill, bw, thermal whatever close by you.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Lots of track guys in that area they will chime in. M3 Number 86 comes to mind.
Thank you. I'll wait for him or others to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #11
okusa
Major
okusa's Avatar
175
Rep
1,223
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

Just show up for a Speed District event and ask someone for a ride along. I've given a few.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1766
Rep
4,599
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print
Is there anywhere I can ride along with a professional driver on a track? Every time I see a video of someone riding shotgun with a professional driver they're always freaking out with excitement or want to piss their pants so I feel like I would get a kick out of the experience. I've seen online that this can be done with Nascar but I'd rather be on a track with twists and turns.
I'm not a professional but I'm good at drifting which make for the best ride alongs. I'm going to buttonwillow tomorrow.

I think the best day would be during Bimmerfest which is at Autoclub speedway in May. Does that give you enough time to schedule?
__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #13
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I'm not a professional but I'm good at drifting which make for the best ride alongs. I'm going to buttonwillow tomorrow.

I think the best day would be during Bimmerfest which is at Autoclub speedway in May. Does that give you enough time to schedule?
Hell yeah! Thanks for chiming in. Wasn't planning on going to Bimmerfest but may have to now. I'll shoot you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #14
Flying Ace
mdosu
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
1977
Rep
7,991
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (3)

You need a ride?
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
4662
Rep
18,213
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You need a ride?
You aren't qualified to drive a shopping cart
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #16
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
You need a ride?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You aren't qualified to drive a shopping cart
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 02:38 AM   #17
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
1766
Rep
4,599
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
You need a ride?
Where the hell have you been?!
__________________

a whale amongst sharks
IG: @M3number86 youtube: track vids
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 02:46 AM   #18
nnettepos
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: x5

iTrader: (0)

Most probably dont. Where do you live.
__________________
M3 is cool
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 03:02 AM   #19
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnettepos View Post
Most probably dont. Where do you live.
Los Angeles.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #20
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
374
Rep
4,486
Posts

Drives: '16 Cayman GT4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
I have no desire to track my car. Do tracks have programs where someone can walk in and ride with a driver? Perhaps even pay to do so?
Can I ask why you have no desire to track your car? I'll give you fair warning that if you ride along at a track day, that is rather likely to change. Not that that's a bad thing at all IMHO, but if you're resolutely against tracking a car that really is a hoot on track and will give you a whole new level of appreciation for it out there, then consider that carefully.

To answer your original question, at least out here it's pretty common for DE organizers to allow instructors and even sometimes the top student run group to give rides even to non-participant spectators. Sometimes it's free, sometimes there's a fee. And yes some instructors have a pro background, but honestly if you've never been to a track, any instructor is going to impress even in a mostly-stock car, no need for a full-on racecar. I just took a neighbor out for a quick run around a few corners and straights near our neighborhood and she reacted just like those "Son takes mom on track" YouTube videos. I wasn't even pushing that hard since it was a public road, but her mind was well and truly blown.
__________________
'16 Cayman GT4 (delivery pics, comparison to E92 M3 write-up)

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 03-26-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #21
leopard print
Private First Class
93
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: Really well for an Asian.
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Can I ask why you have no desire to track your car? I'll give you fair warning that if you ride along at a track day, that is rather likely to change. Not that that's a bad thing at all IMHO, but if you're resolutely against tracking a car that really is a hoot on track and will give you a whole new level of appreciation for it out there, then consider that carefully.

To answer your original question, at least out here it's pretty common for DE organizers to allow instructors and even sometimes the top student run group to give rides even to non-participant spectators. Sometimes it's free, sometimes there's a fee. And yes some instructors have a pro background, but honestly if you've never been to a track, any instructor is going to impress even in a mostly-stock car, no need for a full-on racecar. I just took a neighbor out for a quick run around a few corners and straights near our neighborhood and she reacted just like those "Son takes mom on track" YouTube videos. I wasn't even pushing that hard since it was a public road, but her mind was well and truly blown.
I don't really have an answer to your question other than I've never really thought it about before, so it wouldn't say I'm resolutely against it. If that desire changes after the ride along, then it looks like I'll have a new hobby to pursue.

Hopefully you blew your neighbors mind enough to get blown yourself. Hahaha

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #22
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
39
Rep
541
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Spend a day at the BMW Performance Center in Thermal if you would like to drive on 5 different courses. All BMW's with their tires and fuel at one price.

My wife and I were there on March 13th with the BMW CCA. Great day with the M235, M3, M4, M5, M6, X5M, and 340. Outstanding price for CCA members at $215 each.
Take a friend
After 20 years of owning BMW's my wife is finally interested in our E92 M3.
I may have to buy her a new car.
Check out their webpage.

Last edited by kenwelch; 03-26-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Appreciate 3
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST