BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

KW Clubsport Upgrade from V3 Review

Ladies and Gents,
I upgraded from KW V3s to KW Clubsports on my 2013 Competition Package E92 M3 this week and wanted to share my thoughts on the Clubsports and compare/contrast with the V3 suspension.

See my KW V3 Review here.

I had heard that KW V3s are the ultimate street coilover system and I can only confirm that statement I loved the ride comfort they provided while dramatically improving the driving experience to a very responsive and well balanced feeling which really inspires confidence! The V3s also complimented the OEM Pirelli's nicely, never wheel hopping and very forgiving/controllable/predictable.

A couple months ago I really started wanting some tires with more grip and decided to go for some R compounds. I also wanted to run the Apex Racing EC-7 18" square set-up and try to fit a meaty 275 under the front fender. I realized that the progressive spring in the front from the V3's would not allow room for such a big tire without contacting the spring and I also needed adjustable camber to tuck the 275's under the front fender. I could have invested in some camber plates and stepped down to a 255 tire in the front and retained the V3s but decided to go ahead and upgrade to a more track-day oriented suspension so I called up KW and ordered a set of Clubsports!

After driving them on the street for a few days all I can say is wow! Just as dramatic of an improvement of feeling that the V3s provided over stock I would say the Clubsports shined over the V3s! I kept the same height settings and rake that I had with the V3s and didn't touch the dampening settings that the CS's came out of the box with. I also added 1.5 degrees negative camber. The front assemblies are literally plug and play, they do not re-use any of the stock suspension like the V3s. The result is a much more tactile contact between the suspension and chassis. You get a lot better feel of the road and feedback through the steering wheel. The steering became a bit firmer and the body roll was dramatically reduced! Of course this comes at the expense of driving comfort, things get a bit bumpier and louder in the cabin although they do retain a certain level of comfort. I honestly love the way it feels, I'm connected to the road through the car and feels firmly planted in whatever line I choose. Oh and did I mention I'm still on the stock Pirellis?

The Clubsports are designed for R-Compounds and are exceedingly more capable than street rated tires, Pirellis included. I will mount my Apex EC-7s with Toyo R888s this weekend and do a separate review in a week or two.

Overall I am very pleased with my upgrade to the Clubsports which is surprising considering how much I loved my V3s. I would highly recommend the V3s to anyone who wants the ultimate street coilover set-up which are matched perfectly to street tires and retain a high percentage of the factory ride quality while seriously improving handling. If you are a weekend warrior who wants to put some trackdays under his belt or feels the need for some R-Compound tires then Clubsports are the way to go!

I certainly hope this review was helpful, please feel free to PM me with any questions.

-Curt

***V3s fronts on left, Clubsports on right***

***I know this is more than -1.5 Camber, I re-adjusted after the picture***

***Teaser of the new set-up while I was test fitting***

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports

Last edited by Curt2000; 03-20-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
manari06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2016 X5 50i

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [9.50]
2007 335I Coupe  [10.00]
Nice setup and thanks for shearing the V3 experience. I just got the V3's installed in mine but has yet to test drive it!!! It's being garaged for the winter and bunch of upgrades before I bring her out on Saturday.
      03-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice review. I need these.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

KW clubsports are awesome dampers and often overlooked since people want the latest hype.

I have had my Clubsports on for about a year and 4 track days, and i absolutely love them. They can take a beating, and if/when they wear it only costs a few bucks to ship them to Sanger, CA to get them revalved.

I run the stock setting with RS3s at the track. I could probably run stiffer settings since the RS3s have very stiff sidewalls.

Rock those KW CSs well! I love your setup. Very similar to mine!
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Great review. Your car looks sick....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the review Curt

Solid upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Good stuff! Love my Clubsports as well!

Are you running 18x10's?
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
Nice setup and thanks for shearing the V3 experience. I just got the V3's installed in mine but has yet to test drive it!!! It's being garaged for the winter and bunch of upgrades before I bring her out on Saturday.
The wait makes it that much more enjoyable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice review. I need these.
Dont hesitate, just act!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendall View Post
KW clubsports are awesome dampers and often overlooked since people want the latest hype.

I have had my Clubsports on for about a year and 4 track days, and i absolutely love them. They can take a beating, and if/when they wear it only costs a few bucks to ship them to Sanger, CA to get them revalved.

I run the stock setting with RS3s at the track. I could probably run stiffer settings since the RS3s have very stiff sidewalls.

Rock those KW CSs well! I love your setup. Very similar to mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
Great review. Your car looks sick....
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Thanks for the review Curt

Solid upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Good stuff! Love my Clubsports as well!

Are you running 18x10's?
Yep 18x10 all around.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
I want more photos
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
I want more photos
I have a series of professional photoshoots coming soon

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I need these also. My KW sleeve kit doesn't not inspire confidence in high speed sweepers on the track (Big Willow 8 & 9 are scary).
      10-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I need these also. My KW sleeve kit doesn't not inspire confidence in high speed sweepers on the track (Big Willow 8 & 9 are scary).
Did you end up upgrading?

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
Scooba_Steeve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

sell me your v3's!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
ccondo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 - Ferrari Red

How would you rate them on the street?

I don't know id you had EDC or not. But lets set a baseline of 10 (10 being comfortable) for the EDC set to comfort mode with stock suspension.

What would say the KW v3's were and what would you say the Club Sports are?

Like a 7 and then a 4 etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #15
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccondo
I don't know id you had EDC or not. But lets set a baseline of 10 (10 being comfortable) for the EDC set to comfort mode with stock suspension.

What would say the KW v3's were and what would you say the Club Sports are?

Like a 7 and then a 4 etc?
Comfort wise...probably a 6.5-7 still very live-able.

The feedback and responsiveness makes the ride more enjoyable and makes up for the stiffness IMO.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba_Steeve View Post
sell me your v3's!
Clubsport are basically revalved V3s with camber top mounts and stiffer spring rates. KW will revalve your shocks and can sell you the springs to compensate or get them revalved and use your own springs based on the clubsport rates.

Same shock body as V3. Fantastic product. I had custom KW Competition 2 way speced before (see below). Notice the front lower perch was metal instead of plastic, if you are planning on going this route of revalving (ask them to get you the metal perches). Revalving last time we did it from V3 to CS was $75 a corner. Eibach Springs were $60ish each. Had the camber plates from before. KW can also help you identify the proper spring rates by asking you the questions on car weight, purpose, tires being run etc. They will send you a sheet of paper to fill out and send it back with the shocks when they revalve.

Like others have mentioned, KW is a FANTASTIC product a lot of race teams outside of the US runs these.

Congrats!

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 06-23-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #17
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba_Steeve View Post
sell me your v3's!
Clubsport are basically revalved V3s with camber top mounts and stiffer spring rates. KW will revalve your shocks and can sell you the springs to compensate or get them revalved and use your own springs based on the clubsport rates.

Same shock body as V3. Fantastic product. I had custom KW Competition 2 way speced before (see below). Notice the front lower perch was metal instead of plastic, if you are planning on going this route of revalving (ask them to get you the metal perches). Revalving last time we did it from V3 to CS was $75 a corner. Eibach Springs were $60ish each. Had the camber plates from before. KW can also help you identify the proper spring rates by asking you the questions on car weight, purpose, tires being run etc. They will send you a sheet of paper to fill out and send it back with the shocks when they revalve.

Like others have mentioned, KW is a FANTASTIC product a lot of race teams outside of the US runs these.

Congrats!

Lutfy
Unfortunately the competition version uses a different diameter shock body. The metal spring perches are not interchangeable. I tried to get a set of the metal for my Clubsports.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Big Thumbs Up for the KW Clubsports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
Comfort wise...probably a 6.5-7 still very live-able.

The feedback and responsiveness makes the ride more enjoyable and makes up for the stiffness IMO.
Just installed a set of KW Clubsports this weekend (non-EDC) - Thank you EAS! - and love the way the car rides! The ride is firmer but not uncomfortable. It reminds me of going from the OEM 18" to 19" rims and lower aspect tires.

The overall responsiveness and improved sense of stability feels very good and inspires confidence. Communication through the wheel and seat are improved. The car feels hunkered down and ready to go hard into the next corner.

This is the first time I have ever installed anything more than lowering springs, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the results!
Appreciate 0