BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
Mine was a 2006 325xi. On each of my Audis and then BMW's, I always was opting for the Sport Pack. The only car I didn't get it on was my 325. The info came directly from my salesman. I was also amazed with this information as he gave it to me. But he called the Service guys and they confirmed that. I of course teased that "Audi does it, but BMW doesn't. So why do you think your xi is better than Quattro?" But the info I received was as I have written above.

Now, if someone here can give me this information straight from a BMW source, I am MORE THAN HAPPY to march down to "Lauderdale BMW, Fort Lauderdale, Florida" and give them hell. They already hate me because of all the unbelievable bad things they have done (swirlied one of my mother's cars, then destroyed the next car, tried to weasel out of lemon law with both my brother and I's cars, etc), AND they barely sell any 1 Series because they think it is "beneath them" They actually never have any of their 1's on their new spots. They actually put used cars up before a 1 Series, which is always in the back of the lot. Their sales suck, their service sucks, they suck. So if you can give me hardcore info that is straight out of BMW books, I am more than happy to go shove it down their throats.

If you are SoFL and are buying, go to Braman. I will split the referral fee whatever it is, and I will get you with the right salesguy.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx

Quote:
Sport Package $2,150 (335i Sedan)
• 18" Light alloy wheels Star-spoke (Style287) with performance tires
• Sports leather steering wheel
• Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters $100
• Sport seats
• Sport suspension
• Shadowline trim

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndOptions.aspx

Quote:
Sport Package $1,350 (335xi Sedan)
• Sports leather steering wheel
• Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters $100
• 17" Light Alloy Double-spoke wheels (style 161)
18" Light alloy wheels Star-spoke (Style287) with performance tires $600
• Shadowline trim
• Sport seats
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
Right..but oil changes have a traditionally more frequent service interval, M cars actually specify a break-in oil change at 1400 (hell I did the same too even though I do not own an M car)....I don't recall differentials needing a fluid change for at least 30k-60k miles?
Per Mike Miller, this apparently used to be a standard break-in change for the BMW, and he recommended it. Since I'm planning on keeping the car for a while, I figured I might as well do it. If I was leasing/planning on selling the car in 3-4 years, I'd almost certainly have skipped it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Per Mike Miller, this apparently used to be a standard break-in change for the BMW, and he recommended it. Since I'm planning on keeping the car for a while, I figured I might as well do it. If I was leasing/planning on selling the car in 3-4 years, I'd almost certainly have skipped it.
Hear you on long term maintenance - I'm keeping my car as well, not leasing, purchased outright. I'm just wondering who this Mike Miller is, and why you (we) should listen to him.

I understand the notion of preventive maintenance and changing fluids on a regular basis.

If he's a reputable authority...I'll do it but I've owned cars 40k-150k and never heard of break-in diff fluid change.
      08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
Hear you on long term maintenance - I'm keeping my car as well, not leasing, purchased outright. I'm just wondering who this Mike Miller is, and why you (we) should listen to him.

I understand the notion of preventive maintenance and changing fluids on a regular basis.

If he's a reputable authority...I'll do it but I've owned cars 40k-150k and never heard of break-in diff fluid change.
Sorry - Mike Miller is the tech Q&A columnist for both Bimmer magazine and Roundel - the official magazine of the BMWCCA. My understanding is that he has a good many years of experience working on BMWs.

He has compiled an 'old-school maintenance schedule' based on his experience (and, in most cases, prior BMW recommendations,) that lists recommended maintenance for long-term ownership. Much of it is of an "above and beyond" sort that would be overkill for the typical short-term BMW owner, but potentially useful for those of us who keep a car for 10 years or longer.

He gives out this schedule in PDF form free to anyone who emails him - I forget his address off the top of my head, but it should be available on either the Roundel or Bimmer websites.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Sorry - Mike Miller is the tech Q&A columnist for both Bimmer magazine and Roundel - the official magazine of the BMWCCA. My understanding is that he has a good many years of experience working on BMWs.

He has compiled an 'old-school maintenance schedule' based on his experience (and, in most cases, prior BMW recommendations,) that lists recommended maintenance for long-term ownership. Much of it is of an "above and beyond" sort that would be overkill for the typical short-term BMW owner, but potentially useful for those of us who keep a car for 10 years or longer.

He gives out this schedule in PDF form free to anyone who emails him - I forget his address off the top of my head, but it should be available on either the Roundel or Bimmer websites.
Thanks for answering my question.
I'll look up his contact info and schedule my (now late) diff fluid replacement appt.