BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
m3rocks
Rep
Drives: not a BMW

DCT option

The DCT can be driven as a normal automatic requiring no interaction from the driver correct? I ask because the significant other has no experience with a manual, paddles, or anything else for that matter and I can't see to find a definitive answer!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Correct. Just make sure the SO knows how to tell it's in auto mode and if not how to get into it.

Cheers.
      07-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
My wife drove mine last night. Once I explained to her how it worked, it was easy for her. She goes straight to D1 and it drives like any other auto. Only difference is how it goes into "Park"
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Ersin's spot on. She needs a bit of training for sure. I'd bet I'm not the only one to hit a paddle by accident or subliminally shift and then realize I'm no longer in Drive. One needs to understand how to get back to "D."

But one additional point if I might -- don't think you should just assume she needs to understand just the "D" mode. With a very little bit of training she could also get the hang of operating the DCT in the manual mode as well. DCT is so much easier to master than SMG when it comes to smooth operation in any mode. Teach her how to drive the car as it should be, it's much easier than teaching someone to drive one than a manual and she can't do a "money shift" on you.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

So to add to what the other's said, keep in mind that while the car will start up in "P" just like an automatic, by default, putting it into gear will leave you in the "S" manual-shift mode. This is the opposite of every traditional automatic with paddle-shift option (that I know of). Typically they start up in "Drive" and you just go on from there not worrying about shifting. It's very easy to get it into the "D" automatic mode, however - you just push the gear lever to the right once again. As a corollary though, its also easy to get confused and choose the wrong mode, since its just a toggle-type function. That's especially true when you throw in neutral, which is a click of the lever to the left instead of the right.

My point here is not to belabor the details or to scare you off. I am merely saying that if your SO is truely mechano-phobic, it might take a bit to get her used to it. And, on the plus side, the display on the dash does make it very clear which mode you are in (well, as long as you know to look there).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I had an E46 M3 with SMG. DCT operates pretty much the same. But, I swear, some people are just too dumb to figure it out. I had tires mounted one time and even though I SHOWED him how to put into gear, the guy who was supposed to drive the car into the bay just did not get it. This was his only job; to drive cars to and from the lot into the bay. I guess he wasn't bright enough to actually do any work on the cars. I ended up driving the car into the bay instead.

It's not that hard to catch on, I'm sure your significant other will do just fine. The SMG was a bit confusing because instead of showing which mode you are in on the dash, it showed you the mode you WILL be in if you move the lever to the right. I don't believe the DCT is the same way.

Cheers.