BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Another clicking M3

After reading two posts on the "clicking" engine noises including
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=clicking
I went see if I could produce this noise. While I couldn't get the noise in my garage (in neutral and raised rpm), I can reproduce this clicking noise in 2nd gear at 1100 to 1400 rpms. Over that I don't hear it anymore. But it sounds identical to that in the video and that it's coming from the engine bay. Like a bunch of bolts pinging around a pan. Click plank plik. Boom! Panic! Ok, maybe not a boom. Still drives perfectly. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
chicagobimmerboy
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Un esotico Italiano ;)

Ive heard the sound. honestly it sounds like its coming from the rotating assembly; belt, pulleys etc. have your dealer check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Any video/sound clips?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Any video/sound clips?
I'm assuming farbarg's car sounds like mine:

'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
I'm assuming farbarg's car sounds like mine:

That's the one, thanks for posting. As I said, while I can't get the noise in my garage, it's consistently reproducible at low RPMs in 2nd gear. I've got business trips and such for the next week, but I'll try to get some kind of video when I get back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ah ok. I've heard this noise too. I think I posted in bills thread about when I heard it.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

some new observations

Just thought I'd give some updates to the random clicking sound coming from the engine bay I've been hearing on my 6mt e90. First, I don't have a video, as I think the wind noise would make it impossible to hear. But I do have some more observations and would love to see if anyone else has this noise. Basically, it's random clicking when driving btwn 1 to 1.5k RPM. It only seems to happen when the engine is warm, in gear (have heard it in 1, 2, 3, and 4th), and under at least mild load (did not hear it going down a hill and engine breaking).

Unlike the other clicking sounds mentioned on this board (see prior posts on this thread), I still can't reproduce it in my garage, in neutral, revving to 1.3k (or so).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Ah ok. I've heard this noise too. I think I posted in bills thread about when I heard it.
Okay. I heard this exact noise revving the engine between 1K and 2K after driving it for at least 15 minutes. Is this the same issue as the other member who had to have his engine changed? Or have most of you heard this believe it is normal?

BTW, this started happening after my 1200 mile service. I also now hear the tapping tuperware sound someone else reported.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
I also now hear the tapping tuperware sound someone else reported.
Haha that was me. See if you can get a vid of that. I want to see if I can hear it from your clip.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha that was me. See if you can get a vid of that. I want to see if I can hear it from your clip.
Here is the clip of my clicking sound. This happens after driving the car for about 15 minutes and revving the engine between 1 and 2K. It is a little hard to hear but you hear most of it at the beginning and little at the end. It was more pronouced earlier when I went for a 1 hour drive. Let me know what you think. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

Quote:
Here is the clip of my clicking sound. This happens after driving the car for about 15 minutes and revving the engine between 1 and 2K. It is a little hard to hear but you hear most of it at the beginning and little at the end. It was more pronouced earlier when I went for a 1 hour drive. Let me know what you think. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Sounds exactly like my car.
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
M3Kevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Is this engine a pushrod engine?

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kevin View Post
Is this engine a pushrod engine?
Good question. I don't know. Why do you ask?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
Sounds exactly like my car.
It's not very pronounced in that new video (as you stated), but with earphones I can hear it random click in the exact same way as my car. Perhaps that's why I've had a hard time hearing it in my garage as well.

As I said before it happens much more frequently when I'm in 2nd gear, the transmission is loaded (slight up hill or acceleration), and I'm going 1.2 to 2k rpm. Best heard when passing a car or other vertical, hard, noise reflective surface. It definitely speeds up (but still seems pretty random, unlike say, the very regular noise of the engine valves) and seems to come from underneath the car (not the engine). Can anyone else make it worse under those conditions as well?

Bills742 did you ever have the dealer look at it (sorry can't recall your thread)? If so, any resolution?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

new 19 inch m3 rim's 1200 miles... curb scratches on two wheels...

Willing to sell at good price with ps2's.. Can't stand cleaning them..I'd like to order dpe's....don't mean to change topic.... How do you make new thread??
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #16
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
It's not very pronounced in that new video (as you stated), but with earphones I can hear it random click in the exact same way as my car. Perhaps that's why I've had a hard time hearing it in my garage as well.

As I said before it happens much more frequently when I'm in 2nd gear, the transmission is loaded (slight up hill or acceleration), and I'm going 1.2 to 2k rpm. Best heard when passing a car or other vertical, hard, noise reflective surface. It definitely speeds up (but still seems pretty random, unlike say, the very regular noise of the engine valves) and seems to come from underneath the car (not the engine). Can anyone else make it worse under those conditions as well?

Bills742 did you ever have the dealer look at it (sorry can't recall your thread)? If so, any resolution?

When I took it to the dealer today after driving it for about 40 minutes. It was VERY pronounced and did it every time. Much more obvious than the video I took. You have to drive you car a good 30 minutes going through the gears to get the engine pretty warm before you can easily reproduce the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #17
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When I took it to the dealer today after driving it for about 40 minutes. It was VERY pronounced and did it every time. Much more obvious than the video I took. You have to drive you car a good 30 minutes going through the gears to get the engine pretty warm before you can easily reproduce the issue.
Exactly. I never hear it until the engine is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #18
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok tonight I tried revving after about 15 minutes of driving and I can hear it, but it's not very frequent. I have to like let the revs drop then jab the throttle as it settles down. I can't get it to make the noise consistently though.

I do, however, hear this noise on sharp right hand turns. I tried to take videos of my car both standing still and a specific freeway interchange that I always hear it, but I guess my camera sucks because it can't pick up the tapping noises. It sounds just like the videos, but when I'm turning it's constant and faster based on speed. Maybe it really does have something to do with the pads/rotors.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Updates

Finally got around to taking the car to the dealer and to recording this noise.
The dealer said that it was the exhaust clicking. They said they could reproduce it up on the lift. I'm hoping that's the case, but it sounds darn close to the clicking that has been diagnosed as something much worse for a few others on this board. Still seems to run OK for now. Here's the video link :
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
Willing to sell at good price with ps2's.. Can't stand cleaning them..I'd like to order dpe's....don't mean to change topic.... How do you make new thread??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
After reading two posts on the "clicking" engine noises including
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...light=clicking
I went see if I could produce this noise. While I couldn't get the noise in my garage (in neutral and raised rpm), I can reproduce this clicking noise in 2nd gear at 1100 to 1400 rpms. Over that I don't hear it anymore. But it sounds identical to that in the video and that it's coming from the engine bay. Like a bunch of bolts pinging around a pan. Click plank plik. Boom! Panic! Ok, maybe not a boom. Still drives perfectly. Anyone else?

I hear Clucking metal sound on mine at idle, pisses me off when the dealer says its normal
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #22
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
I hear Clucking metal sound on mine at idle, pisses me off when the dealer says its normal
If it gets worse (i.e. makes more noise as time goes along), then I may worry. Otherwise, it may be something else.
Appreciate 0