BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Golf R?

what do y'all now about the R? Interesting design that seems to have come late in the model phase no? Anyone driven one?
      08-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
It is getting ripped bad in the media. Under powered, over weight, poor gear ratios, etc. I have read two seperate mag reviews and both prefered the new Beetle and GTI over the R.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
No first hand knowledge, but it's something I would consider... but maybe not for the mid $30s. I thought it had generally be getting good press? It is liked better than the old R32 because there is less weight over the front axle and theoretically better handling due to that. It a slightly more upscale alternative to the WRX.

It's not going to compete with an Audi RS3, but it should be 0-60 in under 6 seconds, which is pretty respectable for it's segment.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...kswagen-golf-r

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._u.s.-car_news

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
It is getting ripped bad in the media. Under powered, over weight, poor gear ratios, etc. I have read two seperate mag reviews and both prefered the new Beetle and GTI over the R.
How is it under powered, and over weight compared to the GTI? I expected good reviews for this car. Not sure about the price though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I have test driven one briefly.

Really just a Golf with suspension turbo etc.

DSG is annoying when in D, likes to stay in 6th, wont drop down to 4th quick enough once you start accelerating.

Car feels hesitant when slowly taking off at the lights in a traffic queue, its the DSG, its miles behind the 135i in terms of refinement, although it seems to change gears faster, almost instantaneously.

Steering feels Japanese not German.

Significant turbo lag(I dont mind turbo lag at all, just an observation).

Suspension was nice, pretty smooth along a bumpy road. (adaptive)

Did not really get to test it fast cause the sales guy was a stiff.

It got Top Gear hot hatch of the year not long ago. Biggest downfall would have to be its DSG.

Oh wait its turning circle f^%$%^& SUCKS! lol thats its biggest negative actually.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 09-01-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I have test driven one briefly.

Really just a Golf with suspension turbo etc.

DSG is annoying when in D, likes to stay in 6th, wont drop down to 4th quick enough once you start accelerating.

Car feels hesitant when slowly taking off at the lights in a traffic queue, its the DSG, its miles behind the 135i in terms of refinement, although it seems to change gears faster, almost instantaneously.

Steering feels Japanese not German.

Significant turbo lag(I dont mind turbo lag at all, just an observation).

Suspension was nice, pretty smooth along a bumpy road. (adaptive)

Did not really get to test it fast cause the sales guy was a stiff.

It got Top Gear hot hatch of the year not long ago. Biggest downfall would have to be its DSG.

Oh wait its turning circle f^%$%^& SUCKS! lol thats its biggest negative actually.
New Golf-R is a traditional 6-sp only, no DSG. At least for the U.S. anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

what I have read and seen online, the golf R gets the same praise

1) Great handling
2) Amazing Interior
3) Good 6-speed gearbook
4) Better then previous model(R32, R has more power and weighs about 200 lbs less due to lighter engine)

And gets ragged on for a few things

1) Low Power(compared to EVO,STI,etc)
2) Price

I am a huge fan of the Golf R, in fact, I had a 2008 VW rabbit and was waiting for it. Guess what, the Golf R has been out in europe already for 3-4 years now, and it still hasn't made it to the USA. The MKVI Golfs are coming out of production and the new MKVIII Golf is suppose to be out in fall 2012. The new GTI is speculated to be at 230 HP stock. Remember, the MKVI only have a 4 year lifecycle because they werent new models, VW just updated the MKV models(kinda like a refresh). The new MKVII is suppose to use an entirely new platform and is being built from ground up.

Now here is the real kicker. People have seen the new golf R testing(rumored for 2013 in europe) with quad exhaust, and is speculated to have around 300 hp.

The problem is that, IMO, there is no reason to get a Golf R anymore, which is a shame because I wanted one. Instead of waiting 2-3 years for the R to come to the USA, i got a 128i instead, and have had no regrets at all.

I have had almost 2 years with my 128i, and guess what, still no R. in the USA My love and passion for an R has disappeared. There are better cars coming out already.

09-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think the only real point of it is if you want an AWD hatch that has a nice interior. I think it wins in that category. It certainly beats the WRX in terms of interior quality and beat the A3 in terms of looks, power, and amenities per $.

If you don't care about AWD and aren't as picky about the interior, then it has to compete against cars $5-10k cheaper that are still a lot of fun, like the Mazdaspeed3, upcoming Focus ST, GTI, and A3.

I am hoping that the new Focus ST will have a nice interior and come in about $5-7k less than the Golf R. If it does, it could very well be my next car.

If the Golf R was under $30k (but it won't), I think it would certainly be a winner.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
I think the only real point of it is if you want an AWD hatch that has a nice interior. I think it wins in that category. It certainly beats the WRX in terms of interior quality and beat the A3 in terms of looks, power, and amenities per $.

If you don't care about AWD and aren't as picky about the interior, then it has to compete against cars $5-10k cheaper that are still a lot of fun, like the Mazdaspeed3, upcoming Focus ST, GTI, and A3.

I am hoping that the new Focus ST will have a nice interior and come in about $5-7k less than the Golf R. If it does, it could very well be my next car.

If the Golf R was under $30k (but it won't), I think it would certainly be a winner.
I'm a GTI owner and I find that the GTI is too expensive to start with. Sorry but the WRX blows GTI doors off. The GTI is a civic si competitor an other 200 hp car but is priced higher then a 263 hp MS3, on par with the 265 hp WRX, Lancer Ralliart. The R is priced along with the Evo-STI and has way less upside. Im sick and tired of hearing about how good the fit and finish is along with how nice the interior is. That nice interior will start peeling away in a matter of 1-2 years. At least Honda,subaru,mits,Mazda are pricing their price correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0