BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

02-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
jdizzle27
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

2009 M3 Alarm

New to the forum and M3 owner here.

I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car! They don't even have an ETA as to when one would be available, but they did offer to install a LoJack system.

Anyone have an aftermarket alarm installed? Any thoughts about LoJack? I really want a system that disables the car. (Sounds shady, but I wouldn't be too excited about getting it back after they've beaten the crap out of the car!). Any recommendation for installers in So Cal?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

I think LoJack might be over rated if BMW Assist can track your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Are they sold out or something? I bought mine for $235 from Tischer. Stick with the OEM alarm, it keeps you from having to hack your wires and integrates better.
      02-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Are they sold out or something? I bought mine for $235 from Tischer. Stick with the OEM alarm, it keeps you from having to hack your wires and integrates better.
+1
there are a couple of members on here that have had one installed
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I think LoJack might be over rated if BMW Assist can track your car.
+1. If you are getting the Premium Package BMW Assist is included with 4-year subscription. There is no need to get LoJack, which runs $700+.

If I decide to keep the car for several years AFTER BMW Assist expires, perhaps I will get LoJack. But you have 4 years to think about it.

I wouldn't worry about remote disabling or such. Joyriders will have little luck stealing a modern BMW. On the other hand, if a pro wants your car, he can get it regardless of what you have in it.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
rob612
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 - m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post

I wouldn't worry about remote disabling or such. Joyriders will have little luck stealing a modern BMW. On the other hand, if a pro wants your car, he can get it regardless of what you have in it.
serious. i left my car outside and my two of my friends cars got stolen (both civics). My car was untouched. thank you god
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

alarms are a waste of money.

If i want your car i will take it in less than 2 minutes with a flat bed.
If i wanted a joy ride, i'd pick something easier, and might just vandalize your car for the hell of it... which an alarm won't stop either.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I have the OEM alarm on my MY2009. I had it installed by my dealer for about $600 installed. I know others have bought it from various dealers online for about $230 and then installed it themselves. Then they paid an extra $100-200 for the programming by their local dealer. Mine wouldn't go for that so I just had them do the whole install.
      02-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
jackos335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 vert

alarms? If it gets stolen, I'd rather get a new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

My neighbor's car was parked on the street in front of his house. Drunk driver hit it about midnight, setting off the alarm. The driver backed up from the collision and left. Other neighbor (across the street) heard the alarm and looked out his window, got the license number and description as it was backing up and called 911. The owner of the car was asleep and didn't get out of bed in time to see the car drive away. The cops arrested the guy 10 minutes later pulling into his driveway. FWIW, that wouldn't have happened if there was no alarm, and makes it worth having mine. It probably won't prevent much of anything, but it makes it a little more likely that some jerk-off POS who runs into my car in a parking lot won't drive away, or if he does, maybe someone will see him.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

There is definitely an OEM alarm for this car, I got it installed in mine. Or at least they told me they did.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
New to the forum and M3 owner here.

I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car! They don't even have an ETA as to when one would be available, but they did offer to install a LoJack system.

Anyone have an aftermarket alarm installed? Any thoughts about LoJack? I really want a system that disables the car. (Sounds shady, but I wouldn't be too excited about getting it back after they've beaten the crap out of the car!). Any recommendation for installers in So Cal?

Thanks.

I had mine installed at the PDC when I picked my car up. I think I payed somewhere between $300-400 installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
There's a change to the production of the M3 in Model Year 2009. Some of the newer productions will not take be able to use the current alarm system. I can't remember the exact production date though.
      02-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
There's a change to the production of the M3 in Model Year 2009. Some of the newer productions will not take be able to use the current alarm system. I can't remember the exact production date though.
Hmm. I didn't know that. Still, that doesn't make much sense. I am assuming that the internals are the same, and the alarm is coded through i-drive software...so why would it no longer be compatible? Anyone have more specifics (i'm thinking southlight here )
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Don't know what's the reason behind that move but it seems to be true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
here is what BMW says- I got this off my DCSnet at work

Publish Date:
Expiration Date:
January 09, 2009
Aftersales Development
January 23, 2009
DCSnet Message
Important
Subject: Accessory Alarm Kits
Date: 01/09/09

Subject: Accessory Alarm Kits for E9x 3 Series and E8x 1 Series Vehicles

This message is to inform you that as of 3/09 production (for these vehicles) the accessory alarm kits listed here will not be able to be installed in these vehicles any longer. At this time accessory alarm kits for these models from 3/09 onward will be discontinued.

E9x (3 Series)
- 65 12 0 403 658 Sedan & Coupe
- 65 12 0 411 219 S/W
- 65 73 0 427 835 Conv.

E8x (1 Series)
- 65 73 0 444 089 Coupe
- 65 73 0 444 090 Conv.

The 3 Series alarm will also be removed from the Port Install Accessory Program in the near future for this reason. All accessory related material will be updated to note this.

Best regards and thanks for your continued support.

Accessory Development

Attachments: No Attachments
Recipients: BMW Passenger Cars, All Offerings, All Regions, All Areas, All Departments, All Personnel

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Don't know what's the reason behind that move but it seems to be true:

Best regards, south
thanks South! Now we need to know why...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
jdizzle27
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Thanks for the replies. I think the dealers that I've contacted in the SoCal area are referring to what John@BMW referred to in his post.

Anyone put in a Viper or other 3rd party alarm in it? Does it void the factory warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think the dealers that I've contacted in the SoCal area are referring to what John@BMW referred to in his post.

Anyone put in a Viper or other 3rd party alarm in it? Does it void the factory warranty?
I don't think that the warranty would be the biggest concern...integration is the issue. I wouldn't want to swap my FOB or not have control in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

With all due respect, I sincerely think alarms are useless.

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

What does the alarm not do:
1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

2. Protect against vandalism.

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!

What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!

My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!

What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!

My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?

an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #21
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong

Well there is an option in iDrive to enable audible confirmation (in addition to the turn indicator flashes) when the car is locked and the imobiliser is engaged . Secondly, when the imobiliser is engaged, there is a small red light flashing (hanging below the central mirror) so people know something is there! So even without an alarm, the engagement of the immobiliser sounds and flshes as if the car is alarmed.

Therefore I don't see why you need an alarm for the M3 and why my conclusions are wrong...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post

What does the alarm do:

Insurance companies give discounts to people with alarms for one reason ... They have STATISTICS that show a car with an alarm is less likely to be vandalised/stolen/broken into.

I agree that a determined thief will not be deterred but it will definately be enough to substantiate having the alarm.

I personally would not want anyone playing around with my M3 for an aftermarket alarm. The Factory alarm is extremely good and Im glad it came with it!
Appreciate 0