BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #67
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I think it was a mid-March change. They also deleted the ashtray at the same time and put in the sunglass tray. I assume your car is a US spec car. Not sure about other versions. The only way I know to check for sure is to pull off your wheel and check behind the wheel well piece for the siren wire. Check out the DIY.
      06-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #68
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I think it was a mid-March change. They also deleted the ashtray at the same time and put in the sunglass tray. I assume your car is a US spec car. Not sure about other versions. The only way I know to check for sure is to pull off your wheel and check behind the wheel well piece for the siren wire. Check out the DIY.
I have the ashtray, so perhaps I am in luck. I will look for the wire as well.

Danke!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #69
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 - AW, 6MT

Pull out the dome light and see if you have the black connector that suppose to go to the ultrasonic sensor. My build date is 03/13/09 and it does not have it. Does anyone have the part number for the alarm systems for 03/09 onwards?

Last edited by Thinker23; 06-01-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #70
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker23 View Post
Pull out the dome light and see if you have the black connector. My build date is 03/13/09 and it does not have it.
Just wondering, do you have the sunglass tray or an ashtray?
      06-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #71
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
Just wondering, do you have the sunglass tray or an ashtray?
Sunglass tray.

The question is whether BMW will be offering a new kit or the '09+ are doomed not have an add on OEM alarm option.

Last edited by Thinker23; 06-01-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #72
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think BMW changed anything about the actual alarm. They changed it from a dealer option to a factory option. I don't think there will be an OEM option after the car is built. I found out about the change two days before my car went into production and was able to get the change made.

Maybe you can talk with your dealership and have them install the OEM alarm for the $400 that it would have been as an option. It will be a more complicated installation but it seems most dealers did not know about the change or at least did not notify their customers.
      06-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #73
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Pull out the dome light and see if you have the black connector that suppose to go to the ultrasonic sensor. My build date is 03/13/09 and it does not have it. Does anyone have the part number for the alarm systems for 03/09 onwards?
Would this be the same for the convertible?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #74
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
Would this be the same for the convertible?
Since the convertible does not have the ultrasonic sensor (someone pls confirm), I think you would have to pull out the wheel liner to see if they deleted that harness as well. Let us know the results if you do.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #75
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car!
No alarm on a freaking #70k+ car? My manual even says the car has an interior motion sensor, and also has a hood switch. But iDrive only has 'visual' confirmation (no chirp), so guess no alarm.

If everything is in place, what the heck are we getting for $400 plus labor? Just a siren and 'activation'? Unbelievable. By the way, where the heck is the siren and module? Thx.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-03-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #76
M3luvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90 DCT Silverstone

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Just got a E 90 M3 Silverstone with DCT, Prem/Tech/Cold, Carbon leather, 19's, Extended Black, Enhance Sound, PDC, Ipod...but no alarm.
I left the car to the dealer overnight so they can put an OEM alarm. Even willing to pay $730 to get it installed-ouch! Got the car back today and was told they can't do it. Any car made after 3/09 can't have it added after build. I guess you can still order it for custom build though. I thought it was silly that an alarm on such a car is not even a standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #77
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Freakin out....first attempt to install alarm on 09 Coupe

So I've been dealing with this problem ever since I ordered my car. At first their solution to the problem was to throw a Lojack membership at me. Which is good ($1500 value), but not the deterrant an alarm would be.

After more complaining....the dealership said they found a way to install an "aftermarket" alarm system which works with the same keyfob. They say it should give me all the same functions as the OEM alarm (shock sensor, audible tone for lock/unlock, hood/truck sensors, even the dome sensor in the car). They said the installer was someone who previously did the alarm installs before the OEM alarm became an option. So...all sounded good and I agreed for an appt on Mon (yesterday). And they threw in the Lojack for the life of the vehicle.

Yesterday, I dropped off my car in the morning....then at 4pm i get a call saying they can't install it cuz all the parts aren't there yet. WTF!? I get there and start complaining that they wasted my time in having me bring my car in just to have it sit on the lot for a whole day. Anyways....I finally talk to this guy who is doing the alarm install from "Custom Cellular" (sounds fishy) and he says he isn't even sure how to do this install yet and it will be "the first time doing it on an 09 M3 Coupe". Ok...now i'm more concerned and kinda freaking out....my car is now the guinnea pig for this alarm system install. I don't want them messing with my electrical system without knowing what they are doing!

Looking for help out there....has anyone else run into this problem and what are your dealerships trying to offer you instead? I personally want to give my car back and make them order me a new one. I can see this all turning out bad in the end.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #78
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I sent BMW AG an email several weeks back about this issue. I just got a call from BMW NA this morning and they said they would have a definitive answer on whether it would be possible to install the OEM alarm from their Engineering Group by next week.

Timbo, I would hold off for now, there may be a work around. To keep things in perspective, hypothetically all you need are the wiring harnesses anyway. I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #79
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I only want alarm for the audio confirmation that the car is lock and blinking clown nose... is there anyway to get this accomplished without getting the alarm. I don't really want the alarm because comfort access for the trunk doesn't work half the time and will just set off the alarm...
any idea?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #80
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

I haven't had any trouble with comfort access setting off the alarm when I open the trunk. Not sure about the blinking light because I haven't seen it in the new idrive menu at all.
      06-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #81
scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

My dealer screwed me into getting Lojack and I have BMW Assist also.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #82
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5

2009 M3 alarm

Like the other posts, my understanding is that the oem alarm is available ONLY as a factory installed item after 3/09 builds. I was able to add it to my M3 at the last minute. My car built first week of April.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #83
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
So I've been dealing with this problem ever since I ordered my car. At first their solution to the problem was to throw a Lojack membership at me. Which is good ($1500 value), but not the deterrant an alarm would be.

After more complaining....the dealership said they found a way to install an "aftermarket" alarm system which works with the same keyfob. They say it should give me all the same functions as the OEM alarm (shock sensor, audible tone for lock/unlock, hood/truck sensors, even the dome sensor in the car). They said the installer was someone who previously did the alarm installs before the OEM alarm became an option. So...all sounded good and I agreed for an appt on Mon (yesterday). And they threw in the Lojack for the life of the vehicle.

Yesterday, I dropped off my car in the morning....then at 4pm i get a call saying they can't install it cuz all the parts aren't there yet. WTF!? I get there and start complaining that they wasted my time in having me bring my car in just to have it sit on the lot for a whole day. Anyways....I finally talk to this guy who is doing the alarm install from "Custom Cellular" (sounds fishy) and he says he isn't even sure how to do this install yet and it will be "the first time doing it on an 09 M3 Coupe". Ok...now i'm more concerned and kinda freaking out....my car is now the guinnea pig for this alarm system install. I don't want them messing with my electrical system without knowing what they are doing!

Looking for help out there....has anyone else run into this problem and what are your dealerships trying to offer you instead? I personally want to give my car back and make them order me a new one. I can see this all turning out bad in the end.
You should give a call to this people http://www.bypasskit.com/index.aspx and ask them about their 3-Series CAN adapter http://www.bypasskit.com/product.asp...KIBMW&catid=13

That could be used (no personal experience) to add any aftermarket alarm to the car and still behave like OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #84
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
I only want alarm for the audio confirmation that the car is lock and blinking clown nose... is there anyway to get this accomplished without getting the alarm.
This is one of the main reasons I want the alarm. The other functions are bonus. I hate not having some sort of audible tone saying the car is locked when I walk away. The noise from the doors locking isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
My dealer screwed me into getting Lojack and I have BMW Assist also.
Big difference between the two is that Lojack uses RF while BMW Assist uses satellites to find your car. I'm still staying strong...want the alarm and making them throw in the Lojack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You should give a call to this people http://www.bypasskit.com/index.aspx and ask them about their 3-Series CAN adapter http://www.bypasskit.com/product.asp...KIBMW&catid=13
That could be used (no personal experience) to add any aftermarket alarm to the car and still behave like OEM.
Thanks....I'll give it a look.

I'm actually going to wait to hear what Thinker23 gets from BMW AG (AG??). He sent them an email and they said they should have an answer to this problem next week. Stay tuned!!!

Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #85
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Maybe one of the vendors will step in and do an aftermarket harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #86
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update from BMW NA: No plans to release an updated kit. Parts / Engineering has no intentions of addressing this soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #87
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Update from BMW NA: No plans to release an updated kit. Parts / Engineering has no intentions of addressing this soon.
Thinker23....that's all BMW AG came back with? I was hoping to hear something more than that. That's not even any new news to us....pretty weak!

Guess I'm back to looking at the aftermarket alarm system. I was sent the link below from the guy who is planning on doing the install.

http://www.automatecarsecurity.com/products/sec.asp

What do you guys think? Hold off? Or push for the aftermarket alarm which is suppose to give similar functionality as the OEM Alarm?

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #88
Thinker23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Seems BMW AG directed the inquiry to BMW NA. Yes, response was pretty lame. I am not sure why it took a week to get that info.

Timbo,

I would hold off for a few more months if you can. One of the vendors might step up and develop this.
Appreciate 0