BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #45
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I am not a big fan of a GTR, but have you driven 350z?
I owned it for 3 years and i honestly think, that even if you put $30K in it, it will still be a POS.
He said 370z, which is a totally different car, and is actually almost as fast as an E92 M3. As for a 350z being a "POS", here is what a properly built 350z can be capable of. No M3, heck, not even a Ferrari is anywhere near that level.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #46
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
He said 370z, which is a totally different car, and is actually almost as fast as an E92 M3. As for a 350z being a "POS", here is what a properly built 350z can be capable of. No M3, heck, not even a Ferrari is anywhere near that level.

That is a full blown race car, with full roll cage, gutted out that probably weighs less than 2,500 pounds. Of course it will beat any street legal car on a road course.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #47
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That is a full blown race car, with full roll cage, gutted out that probably weighs less than 2,500 pounds. Of course it will beat any street legal car on a road course.
Actually this car holds the lap record at Cayuga which makes it faster than many fully built race cars too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #48
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
People post such things all the time about their trading in an M3 for a Vette, or 911, or C63, or M5/M6, etc and they never stir a debate. It's only when someone buys a GT-R that all the haters come out of their holes to trash talk the seller and put him down. Seems like some M3 owners have such an inferiority complex regarding the GT-R specifically that they always feel the need to make excuses to justify driving an M3 instead of a GT-R.

A 370Z with $30k in mods? No I wouldn't take that over a GT-R. But I'll likely take that over a M3 though.
I would still take the M3. I specified the 370Z because we are speaking about a Nissan to Nissan comparison. Now, put all the engineering of the GTR into the 370Z body, give it a nice manual gearbox, an infiniti grade interior while keeping the full GTR functionality, keep the 370Z's steering, and I will take that car in a heartbeat.

Quote:
I am not a big fan of a GTR, but have you driven 350z?
I owned it for 3 years and i honestly think, that even if you put $30K in it, it will still be a POS.
Yes, I owned one, with about $30k in mods. Fun car. Not in the same overall league as an M3, but a solid all around performer. Interior was definitely a bit on the cheap side, however.

Last edited by LarThaL; 04-30-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #49
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
He already made the deal, signed the papers, and got the car. It's too late for that. Besides, I'm sure he already read the million different threads about M3 vs GTR and that no one here has anything new to say that he hasn't heard before. So why is it so hard for the douchebags to just say congrats, and move on. Or just not say anything at all?
Quote:
People post such things all the time about their trading in an M3 for a Vette, or 911, or C63, or M5/M6, etc and they never stir a debate. It's only when someone buys a GT-R that all the haters come out of their holes to trash talk the seller and put him down. Seems like some M3 owners have such an inferiority complex regarding the GT-R specifically that they always feel the need to make excuses to justify driving an M3 instead of a GT-R.
+1 Just about every GTR thread turns out negative. You rarely ever see this with other cars. There are definitely some select resident GTR haters on the forum that always come out of the woodwork, regardless of the purpose of the initial thread. You will always find the same select few in the GTR threads.

I think the GTR probably intimidates many brand enthusiast (not car enthusiasts) owners, especially on the road, even though they may never admit it. It has performance that's on a completely different level and looks relatively menacing compared to the M3. Please don't bring up any supercharged M3s either as we are comparing stock cars. A modded GTR....forget it. Just like many high end manufacturers are frustrated by the GTR's capabilities, I think it also causes some frustration among many owners.

A couple other factors may be at play. It has a new vehicle price point that may be just out of many people's reach, especially as it doesn't carry the badge they desire. That is not a compromise they are willing to make. They may be seeking recognition from others and a sense of self accomplishment based on the brand of car they drive. There is nothing particularly wrong with that, but most true car enthusiasts don't think that way. Unfortunately, most don't realize that the GTR has a impressively rich history that dates back to the 60s, before the M division was even formed. They might also feel it's too much a compromise for a daily driver, again along with the lack of brand presence they desire. While I agree that the M3 is naturally a better DD given it's purpose, the GTR happens to be a better daily driver than most of it's competitors. I know several people who DD their GTR. I can also tell you that my GTR has been more reliable than most of my BMWs, including my e92 M3. That says a lot given all the technology involved in this relatively low production vehicle that doesn't share any of it's platform with other cars, unlike the M3. I also love my M3, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison. One has supercar performance and the other is the sportiest offering luxury car from BMW.
To the OP, congrats on your new car.

Last edited by erio; 04-30-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #50
Liger187
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
To be honest I'm surprised at so much negativity towards my decision . I wasn't trying to knock the m3, I just got an unreal deal on a car I always wanted bur to each there own
Do not pay attention to the negative comments of what people have heard and are repeating.

I also just UPGRADED from my awesome M3 to the even better GT-R. I love these people that post what they heard from someone else. Drive both cars extensively and then I will happily listen to your opinion. The only area that the M3 is better than my 2013 GT-R is the engine sound. A midpipe or full exhaust will remedy part of that. In every other way the GT-R is better. The only problem is using the full capabilities of the car daily without getting a ticket. The looks of the car are subjective and I would never call it beautiful, but it really has a presence and looks much better in person than in pictures.

All that being said I love my M3 and would love to keep it, but that is not feasible. I will do a full write up comparing the cars at a later date once I have more time with the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #51
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liger187 View Post
Do not pay attention to the negative comments of what people have heard and are repeating.

I also just UPGRADED from my awesome M3 to the even better GT-R. I love these people that post what they heard from someone else. Drive both cars extensively and then I will happily listen to your opinion. The only area that the M3 is better than my 2013 GT-R is the engine sound. A midpipe or full exhaust will remedy part of that. In every other way the GT-R is better. The only problem is using the full capabilities of the car daily without getting a ticket. The looks of the car are subjective and I would never call it beautiful, but it really has a presence and looks much better in person than in pictures.

All that being said I love my M3 and would love to keep it, but that is not feasible. I will do a full write up comparing the cars at a later date once I have more time with the GT-R.
We should team up I am working on the review right now actually. I actually used the think the gtr wasn't pretty but now I absolutely love it. It looks and feels speacil. Congrats on your new ride enjoy it in health and happiness. What color did you get and what year.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #52
Liger187
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
We should team up I am working on the review right now actually. I actually used the think the gtr wasn't pretty but now I absolutely love it. It looks and feels speacil. Congrats on your new ride enjoy it in health and happiness. What color did you get and what year.
Congrats on your new car too. Enjoy it and drive safe.
Mine is a white 2013. I will post a comparison and review soon with some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #53
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Congrats!!!!!! Now paint them lower trims so it looks good!

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #54
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Quote:
The only area that the M3 is better than my 2013 GT-R is the engine sound.
That is true! Also, the M3 premium sound is way better than the Bose in the GT-R

2008 M3 BRP 2:08.4 Big Willow 1:37.8 SOW CW 1:29.0 Chuckwalla CW 2:07.4 LS 1:46.7 ACS 2:00.7
2010 GT-R BRP 1:55.3 Big Willow 1:32.0 SOW CCW 1:23.4 Chuckwalla CCW 2:02.5 Chuckwalla CW 2:00.1 LS 1:41.2 ACS 1:50.6
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #55
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
manufacturers are frustrated by the GTR's capabilities, I think it also causes some frustration among many owners.
is kind of sad though. the GTR is ruining things IMO. lots have that itch to want a GTR for its stupid fast performance for the money. kind of takes the fun out of things when you have one car that is by far the best gang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #56
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
is kind of sad though. the GTR is ruining things IMO. lots have that itch to want a GTR for its stupid fast performance for the money. kind of takes the fun out of things when you have one car that is by far the best gang for your buck.
So why don't the euro manufacturers step up their game? For the ridiculous prices some of them charge they should be able to smoke a GTR.
Yet they don't. Even the. New 911 turbo is still no faster than the old platform GTR. Wait till the R36 comes out. That will be a hypercar slayer!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #57
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
So why don't the euro manufacturers step up their game? For the ridiculous prices some of them charge they should be able to smoke a GTR.
Yet they don't. Even the. New 911 turbo is still no faster than the old platform GTR. Wait till the R36 comes out. That will be a hypercar slayer!
because European cars are made with a different ideology in mind. they shoot for the overall feel of a car. styling, performance, luxury etc

where a GTR is more so just a all out performance car. GTR`s goal is straight up to be the fastest car on the road. where a Lamborghini`s goal is to be the most emotional car on the road.

everything is made with a propose, your not a true car guy tell you understand what each is.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #58
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

So after having the GTR for a month I finally can compare the two.
Driving:
The two cars are completely different in the end of the day. The m3 is a lot more driver oriented when it comes to how much you can push the car, while the gtr seems to have no limits to performance. In the m3 I felt like when I was on the track I was becoming a better driver every lap; learning more. While in the gtr I could just go, and push the car but could never get it to the absolute limit, which is quite remarkable. But with this being said I found the gtr a lot more fun to drive. Handling the gtr was better, brakes gtr much better, overall performance no comparison.
Transmission: This is tough both cars have very intuitive transmission but I felt that the DCT in the m3 was a little more responsive.
Exhaust: M3 hands down had a much better exhaust and engine note obviously. The gtr you can barley hear; which kind of stinks but already ordered an aftermarket exhaust which should some what rectify the situation.
Exterior: Hands down GTR gets a lot more attention, overall m3 is a much prettier car, but GTR is definitely an attention grabber.
Interior: M3 has a much better fit and finish which is expected, the GTR has more comfortable seats. Sound system in the gtr is horrid.
Overall: Having driven both cars I have to say the extra price tag on the GTR is worth it. All the short comings on the GTR just don't equal the positives the car has. The m3 even though a fantastic car just can't compete. The one thing I was 100 percent sure I would miss about the m3 was the engine, exhaust note and interior but I just don't. Once you sit behind the wheel of the GTR the m3 just feels obsolete and dated. Now with the new m4 coming out with similar exhaust and engine note the m4/m3 seem irrelevant since you can purchase a used GTR with low milage at the same price point. But that opinion has no relevance since I haven't driven the new m3/4 yet nor heard one in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #59
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

No GTR hater here. But I've driven one hard for a good 30 minutes in the mountain roads, been on the track with one and spent plenty of time around them to form my own opinion.

Those who are implying that the GTR isn't quite the driver's car like the M3 are right. I don't think anyone can deny that the performance of the GTR blows away the M3 in every category. It's a huge upgrade over the M3 there. And the GTR isn't overpriced. It's the performance bargain of the decade as far as I'm concerned. But anyone who has spent considerable time driving a balanced rear wheel drive car at/near the limits knows how sublime that feeling can be and you just don't get that in the GTR. When you drive the M3 at the limits, you feel like you are driving a great car, but it's your skills that are piloting it. When you drive the GTR at the limits, you feel like you are driving an incredible machine that is defying the laws of physics so effortlessly. It almost feels magical and you get the feeling that it's the car more than your driving skill. Of course it always takes a great driver to pull off a very fast lap time, but the GTR makes it way easier for the average driver to get a respectable time.

And I'm no euro snob. I'm still dreaming of an 80-100k pure RWD sports car to come out of Japan. I want a modern RX-7, Supra, and NSX. The GTR is a fantastic car, but just not my personal cup of tea.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #60
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

I am not a fan of the aesthetics/look of the GTR. BUT, I marvel at the engineering behind it for sure. OP, congrats on the new car!
      06-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #61
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet
Quote:
the problem is that while half the people here are car enthusiasts, the other half are snobs who only drive overpriced Euro cars to make up for their insecurities, and look down on any "Jap" car. Pay no attention to them. Good luck and enjoy that beast!
Most people on this forum like to talk about cars and can be passionate. Part of the fun is to sometimes respectfully disagree, exchange views and find out what others like. That's what the forum is about, if you don't like it, then get your behind to some un-moderated blogs where you can let your impulsive hate streak run ad-nauseum just because somebody posted that "the m3 feels more connected than the GT-R". Which incidentally most people will agree.
Keep behaving like a rogue who's first reflex is to throw an expletive at a person because you don't share their view on 2 cars and I'll be more than happy to send you off.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #62
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

majority of manufacturers going with turbos, maybe GTR is on my list dist future.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #63
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

hows the sound system in the gtr?
      06-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #64
narkotic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
hows the sound system in the gtr?
Quote:
So after having the GTR for a month I finally can compare the two.

Sound system in the gtr is horrid.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #65
ALL4Kicks
Rep
Drives: No BMW ATM

Congrats on owning a GTR. Quit an accomplishment.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #66
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
What's wrong with the looks of GTR? I actually think that it's a good looking car!

Haven't driven one yet, all of the dealers park their GTRs inside the showroom. Like I told the dealers, I have no desire to own one because I haven't driven one yet. Test drive may change that but they just don't care.... :
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0