BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Burnout Noob Question

First off, I will never ever do a burnout in my car. Firstly because I think they are really dumb as your engine is getting really hot and its not sucking as much as it would be redlining and going 60mph. However, secondly I don't understand how it works.

But my question is.... I see a lot of people with their burnout videos on youtube and whatever and I'm thinking to myself, what idiots they are (IMO) and secondly when you press on the brake and accelerator at the same time, or launch then slam on your breaks isn't your rear brakes engaged while the tires are spinning? So on top of wasting your tires, you are also melting the shit out of your rear brakes?

And I know some people disable their rear brakes somehow which is pretty dumb.. but I highly doubt everyone who has posted a video does that.

I don't know if I'm going to be laughed at or not lol -.-
      03-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

The answers to your questions are yes. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

So you are never ever going to do a burnout but you want to know how? Ok, I'll play...

Many drag cars or "pro-street" cars have a rear brake cutout system so they can stand on the front brakes and do a burnout on the rear. Purpose of this is to simply heat up the tires so when they go to the line, the have better grip. Cold tires don't grip very well.

In your M3, if you want to do a burnout, simply turn off traction control and mash the pedal on the right to the floor. They'll light right up! Turn the wheel a bit and you're makin' donuts. May require a bit of brake to keep it from launching but not enough to burn your pads up.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

In other cars I've had, you can lightly apply the brakes to keep the front wheels from moving much without burning up the rear brakes very quickly. Most of the brake pressure goes to the front normally which is why this works.
However, I don't know if disabling DSC is enough... you might have to pull fuses to keep the car from cutting off your fun with brake and gas at the same time... dunno how "smart" E9x's are, but you can probably search for that...
      03-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I launched mine once...because...it has Launch Control...I had to try it at least once.
But just once...tires aren't cheap.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
gstyle704
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 DCT

You need to get a line lock that will lock up your front breaks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
you might have to pull fuses to keep the car from cutting off your fun with brake and gas at the same time... dunno how "smart" E9x's are, but you can probably search for that...
The M3 was designed as a driver's car, so the engineers did not interlock brake and throttle (as they do on more pedestrian cars). So you can have throttle and brakes applied at the same time. Great for left foot braking at the track... and for burnouts .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-15-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The M3 was designed as a driver's car, so the engineers did not interlock brake and throttle (as they do on more pedestrian cars). So you can have throttle and brakes applied at the same time. Great for left foot braking at the track... and for burnouts .
I was just about to say this. Just go around a hard corner with your left foot braking, your right foot on the throttle, and then let go of the brakes at the apex/end of the corner. You'll rocket forward initially because of the revs you were able to keep.

Burnouts are much simpler than you're making them seem. As others said, just put the car in first gear, let off the clutch a little while you're adding in quite a bit more gas, and your rears will start to light up. Lightly touch the brake pedal with your left foot, just enough to keep the front tires from moving forward, and just play with the throttle. Don't just slam it down, haha, that'll be a bit much while you're burning the tires. All you need to do is feather the gas pedal, and you'll do just fine.

Hold that for 20 seconds or so, and you have yourself a pretty decent burnout. They're redneck as hell, but stupid fun on a quiet night with some friends.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to mention to disable DSC fully, haha.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com

Last edited by I M STIG; 03-16-2012 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock
I launched mine once...because...it has Launch Control...I had to try it at least once.
But just once...tires aren't cheap.
When you use launch control, you shouldn't have done a burnout? The few times I've used mine, there's been only a small amount of spin.

When you just turn off DSC and floor it tho, you'll get some revs then the M will dump the clutch. This is best tested right before you replace your rear tires

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

This is funny hahaha
      03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

if you have a 6MT, it's really easy and fun
step 1: clutch in
step 2: rev to 5k rpm
step 3: let clutch go a little and mash the gas some more
step 4: enjoy, and cry for your tires
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
This is funny hahaha
Seriously, OP pls just go try one!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
if you have a 6MT, it's really easy and fun
step 1: clutch in
step 2: rev to 5k rpm
step 3: let clutch go a little and mash the gas some more
step 4: enjoy, and cry for your tires/rear subframe/differential
Fixed
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

Hey I honestly didn't really know how to do a burnout, all my previous cars have been awd though. but uhh I kinda figured you'd apply a little brake then put the GO pedal through the floor... I never wanted to ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTempted View Post
Hey I honestly didn't really know how to do a burnout, all my previous cars have been awd though. but uhh I kinda figured you'd apply a little brake then put the GO pedal through the floor... I never wanted to ask.
Nah, you don't wanna do that. You shouldn't bounce off the rev limiter.. That bad for engine, George.

And don't hold the clutch in:

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
Nah, you don't wanna do that. You shouldn't bounce off the rev limiter.. That bad for engine, George.

And don't hold the clutch in:
Haha well not bouncing off the rev limiter goes without saying and I have 2 clutches... which is exactly 2 more than that poor Corvette

...aaaaand that's gonna cost more than $600 haha. great video.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha well not bouncing off the rev limiter goes without saying and I have 2 clutches... which is exactly 2 more than that poor Corvette

Oh, well then if you have the DCT a burnout is super easy... Foot on brake, foot on gas... Let off of gas a bit at a time, and VOILA! You has yo-self a burnout, dude!

And yeah, that guy done f-ed up. I love his face, as if he's so excited he's doing a burnout...

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
Oh, well then if you have the DCT a burnout is super easy... Foot on brake, foot on gas... Let off of gas a bit at a time, and VOILA! You has yo-self a burnout, dude!

And yeah, that guy done f-ed up. I love his face, as if he's so excited he's doing a burnout...
Eh, I have no desire to do a burnout really. Being a young ethnic out-of-towner driving a white on red M3 in Oklahoma I already get enough looks as it is. I haven't even tried launch control in my 5 months of ownership yet.

EDIT: ...and who doesn't know that all telling smell of a burning clutch?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh, I have no desire to do a burnout really. Being a young ethnic out-of-towner driving a white on red M3 in Oklahoma I already get enough looks as it is. I haven't even tried launch control in my 5 months of ownership yet.

EDIT: ...and who doesn't know that all telling smell of a burning clutch?
At least you know why they're looking...

And, I mean, duh! What a moron...

RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Love the Corvette vid

There were other interesting links too. I especially like this one of the neon .

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

LOL this video is too funny. I don't understand how someone can be so dumb..

And I don't really want to try one =/ I feel like if I ever did one it will hurt. The max I could do is a donut which I only did two circles and I felt like that was enough. I just don't like hearing the revs + tires burning + minimal air going to the engine. Plus I know this may sound weird to everyone but, I feel like its somewhat disrespecting the car LOL
      03-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #22
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Granted, the yellow vette driver was a moron. However, the camera man was a idiot. It's stunning how casually he walks in front of the car to see if the other tire is roasting. It would have been a great Darwin award.
Appreciate 0