BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

12-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Question about helper springs.

Those of you that have them, do you run a set on front and rears or fronts alone? What length helper spring do you normally use?
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Helper spring is only used to prevent the main spring from unseating at full droop. Length of helper springs needs to be long enough to keep the main springs seated when the suspension is at full droop.

Tender spring is used to help "push" the main spring down as the suspension starts to droop/extend (i.e., keeps the main spring "preloaded") as well as soften the effective spring rate if it is not fully compressed (two springs in series). Length and rate of tender springs are important.

I use helper springs on the front struts, and no helper or tender springs on the rear height adjusters.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

OP: is there a specific kit you are looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Helper spring is only used to prevent the main spring from unseating at full droop. Length of helper springs needs to be long enough to keep the main springs seated when the suspension is at full droop.

Tender spring is used to help "push" the main spring down as the suspension starts to droop/extend (i.e., keeps the main spring "preloaded") as well as soften the effective spring rate if it is not fully compressed (two springs in series). Length and rate of tender springs are important.

I use helper springs on the front struts, and no helper or tender springs on the rear height adjusters.
Well said
      12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Yes, I have been looking at the JRZ RS1 primariy, but I have been also tempted by TCK DA, Ohlin RT, and Nitron R1 (not anymore on since getting info that the rear is not a divorced set). I have seen alot of helper springs used on JRZs but not on many other sets. So im looking at the necessity of them. I have seen the rear kits that allow quick change of the springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
OP: is there a specific kit you are looking at?

Well said
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post

M3SQRD, thanks for all your advice. You are truly a suspension guru. Never seen anyone test so many kits. I think I want your exact set up with 500f/800r rates. Can you tell me all the parts you ordered to complete your set? And do you think I need camber plates if its mostly a street car?

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
M3SQRD, thanks for all your advice. You are truly a suspension guru. Never seen anyone test so many kits. I think I want your exact set up with 500f/800r rates. Can you tell me all the parts you ordered to complete your set? And do you think I need camber plates if its mostly a street car?
I've seen RS1 setups with helper and tender springs.

MCS has released their e9x M3 SA damper!!! This is another great option. Also, it can be upgraded in the future; e.g., you could send the dampers back to MCS and have them converted to 2-way remote-reservoir dampers

PM sent...
Appreciate 0