BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

06-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Question Can't disable DSC on the M3?

Hey Guys, posting on behalf of an M5board member who also has a new M3. Apparently DSC cannot be disabled? See this thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho....php?p=1361780

Any thoughts and opinions? Thanks Guys.
      06-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Hey Guys, posting on behalf of an M5board member who also has a new M3. Apparently DSC cannot be disabled? See this thread:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho....php?p=1361780

Any thoughts and opinions? Thanks Guys.
I was on a wet skitpad the other week with DSC off practicing spins and what not, and it sure was easy to lose the tail end if you got on the throttle fully. I know for a fact that you can't disable ABS. That said, I don't know if DSC is still intervening a little in the background or not. If it is, it really is minimal. That'd be really hard to pin down unless BMW releases detailed info.
      06-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I was on a wet skitpad the other week with DSC off practicing spins and what not, and it sure was easy to lose the tail end if you got on the throttle fully. I know for a fact that you can't disable ABS. That said, I don't know if DSC is still intervening a little in the background or not. If it is, it really is minimal. That'd be really hard to pin down unless BMW releases detailed info.

Apparently with DSC off, DSC kicked in during a mountain drive

I am surprised it hasn't popped up as an issue here....

Anyone else seeing this?
      06-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Apparently with DSC off, DSC kicked in during a mountain drive
How does he know that DSC kicked in though? Did he see the DSC light come on?

I read that post about the mountain drive. The poster says the car lost power and "corrected" itself. I spun the car several times on the make-shift wet skidpad and then drifted some and definetely did not experience anything like that. Also did a little autoX, sliding the tail out coming out of tight corners. I never lost power.

There have been reports of power loss when acceleration hard at low rpms. There was a thread on this. Nobody has recalled seeing the DSC light come on unless it can kick in without flashing a warning.
      06-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How does he know that though? Did he see the DSC light come on?

SCARY

If you guys can help out, Sergio, the orginator of the issue is a standup guy.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...1&postcount=10
"Just this AM...went on a spirited early AM run with some fellows...a couple of boardmembers were there as well...Bonehead & Thrilos5 & Kelster in the S3 w/Harry driving.
Clear roads...no traffic...start to get twisty so I disengage the DSC to see how I can slide her a bit...as there are camber changes under speed and you feel the car pitch to adapt...you would expect to have the rear slip out...right?....well it did a bit...got some wheel spin...then she corrected herself...power dropped till she hooked up again...WTF???...the M3forum thinks perhaps a puter glich??..
S"
      06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

You should ask Gearhead999s as he tracked his with DSC off. I used MDM on the track; I don't trust myself well enough with this car yet and don't want to drive it into a wall.
      06-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

I was actually on that drive w/ Sergio, and I had the same issue. We talked about it briefly but were both stumped by it. I do not recall seeing the DSC light ever illuminate, but it is possible that it flashed, and I was too busy driving to notice.

I do have the tech package, Mdrive, etc, and while coming through the turn I felt the computer kick in and rob power to the wheels. It was a considerable shock considering I was under the assumption that I had told the computer to go away using my Mdrive settings. What is pretty bad is that it sorta unloaded the suspension in mid-corner. Not very good. On the return trip I put the Mdrive to MDM mode and I didn't feel the power cut-off at all!!

That being said, I was not able to fully replicate that on subsequent turns. We can't be the only 2 guys that this has happened to. I mean, what would the odds be of 2 2008 M3's having the same issue, on the same morning, on the same roads, being the only cars with the glitch.

Now that I just read my post, I wonder if we had this issue on the same corners. If that is the case then maybe it somehow was a road surface issue.....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
I was actually on that drive w/ Sergio, and I had the same issue. We talked about it briefly but were both stumped by it. I do not recall seeing the DSC light ever illuminate, but it is possible that it flashed, and I was too busy driving to notice.

I do have the tech package, Mdrive, etc, and while coming through the turn I felt the computer kick in and rob power to the wheels. It was a considerable shock considering I was under the assumption that I had told the computer to go away using my Mdrive settings. What is pretty bad is that it sorta unloaded the suspension in mid-corner. Not very good. On the return trip I put the Mdrive to MDM mode and I didn't feel the power cut-off at all!!

That being said, I was not able to fully replicate that on subsequent turns. We can't be the only 2 guys that this has happened to. I mean, what would the odds be of 2 2008 M3's having the same issue, on the same morning, on the same roads, being the only cars with the glitch.

Now that I just read my post, I wonder if we had this issue on the same corners. If that is the case then maybe it somehow was a road surface issue.....
Check this out. Maybe there is some kind of connection...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150976
      06-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

When you hold the DSC Off button, it turns it fully off. Unless you program the M button for MDM and use it instead, DSC is either fully on or fully off, no in between. I have had the car sideways on a skidpad and on the dry pavement on a road; both with DSC off. I have used MDM on the track and it will kick in a little, but no where near as much as normal DSC, but definitely more than nothing at all. I don't know why anyone would think that the power was cut if DSC was off.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
You should ask Gearhead999s as he tracked his with DSC off. I used MDM on the track; I don't trust myself well enough with this car yet and don't want to drive it into a wall.
He must have the MDM engaged.because I do know that on my car with the DSC turned off there is zero electronic intervention.Did he just press the M-Button not realizing the stability setting was on the MDM,not totaly off?My car acts like that when I use the MDM setting,which is why I do not like it on track.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
He must have the MDM engaged.because I do know that on my car with the DSC turned off there is zero electronic intervention.Did he just press the M-Button not realizing the stability setting was on the MDM,not totaly off?My car acts like that when I use the MDM setting,which is why I do not like it on track.
He claims he turned it completely off. I agree that when it is completely off, you can do whatever you want to, or don't want to, the rear. Maybe there is something wrong with his car. That's why I pointed him to the other thread.
      06-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Quote:
He claims he turned it completely off. I agree that when it is completely off, you can do whatever you want to, or don't want to, the rear. Maybe there is something wrong with his car. That's why I pointed him to the other thread.

Hey thanks guys...it is just a sighting so we need to see if anyone else is seeing it.
      07-01-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I remember seeing some drift video recently on here.

I woudn't have been possible, if you couldn't turn off DSC.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #14
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

I almost forgot about Tiff drifting the M3. You can most definitely turn off DSC.

The video shows Tiff turning the DSC off and then doing some of biggest powerslides you will see in any car.

Honestly, something is wrong with his car.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-01-2008 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 05:39 AM   #15
hankit
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have try turning it completely off during M3 experience in China, so I'm sure it can be done. (Since we need to do tail slide/spin out exercise)

LET ME SHIFT *CLICK CLICK*
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
How does he know that DSC kicked in though? Did he see the DSC light come on?

I read that post about the mountain drive. The poster says the car lost power and "corrected" itself. I spun the car several times on the make-shift wet skidpad and then drifted some and definetely did not experience anything like that. Also did a little autoX, sliding the tail out coming out of tight corners. I never lost power.

There have been reports of power loss when acceleration hard at low rpms. There was a thread on this. Nobody has recalled seeing the DSC light come on unless it can kick in without flashing a warning.
The DSC light is constantly on when DSC is turned off... If you didn't see the light then it wasn't turned off in the first place.

Also when turning off DSC you must hold the button for a bit, as a built in safety feature just touching the button quickly will not turn it off.
      07-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
The way to know for sure if DSC is fully off is to induce plough-on understeer, in this situation if DSC is on in the background it should correct the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The way to know for sure if DSC is fully off is to induce plough-on understeer, in this situation if DSC is on in the background it should correct the car.
I did that with DSC OFF, and did not experience any intervention.
      07-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
DSC doesn't care about understeer. You can udnersteer all day long in any car with any form of stability control and it won't do jack shit. If you're understeering you're probably pushing, and you have no slip angle at all. DSC only intervenes when it senses wheel slip or any amount of slip angle. MDM allows some wheel slip and a little more slip angle before it kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
DSC doesn't care about understeer. You can udnersteer all day long in any car with any form of stability control and it won't do jack shit.
How do you know this? Do you have any references?

Stability control systems do look at your steering input and consider that in conjunction with loss of traction and data from yaw rate sensors in an understeer situation and decrease power or apply brake(s) for the car to regain traction and directional stability.
      07-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #21
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Eh, no need to debate the physics, I'm sure 99% of the people can figure out how to trigger the DSC. Anyway, take a hard right and give it too much throttle, slide out the rear but point the wheel in the direction you wish to go. If DSC is on it will rotate the car in the direction the wheels are pointing. If not, try not to hit anything
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

So did the OP figure out what was wrong with his car? Since you can completely disable DSC.

Tiff from Fifth Gear drifted the hell out of the M3.
Appreciate 0