BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #89
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
But most people here are equating straight-line acceleration with performance. That's just 1 aspect. Not to mention the build quality and materials in the R8 are huge steps above the M3. It's like when people say the M3 is no faster than a Mustang GT so why spend double on the M3? That reason is why people would buy an R8 over the M3.
Every time I hear people comparing the Mustang with the M3 I remind them that the Mustang has a bigger engine. 1 liter bigger, which is a lot and still can't outperform the M3. As far as built quality and creature comforts go, the M3 is pretty comparable with the R8 where the Mustang is far from the M3. R8 engine is also bigger than the S65 and the M3 can still keep up with it. I'm sure it will be easier to drive fast in the twisties due to its better balance, lower center of gravity and so on..but this doesn't change the fact that it should be faster, a lot faster than the M3 and in fact it's not.
Again I'm not being a fanboy...just giving respect where respect is due. I'll give you a few examples: Nissan GTR - great performance for the price, interior and exterior design are not on the same high level in my opinion. Corvette Z06 - great performance, interior materials and styling not that good. Audi R8 V8 - great styling, great interior, but performance isn't on the same level as other similarly priced cars. Audi R8 V10 - the complete package. Great looks, great interior and great performance.. Another example would be the 911 Turbo.
It's not about hating on Audi, Nissan and Cevy,but rather being realistic about what different cars are good at and where they're lacking something.
And again the M3 is not even in the same league as these cars and I would never claim it's a better all around performer than the R8. We are just using it here to compare its performance to the R8's and some of us are feeling that the R8 V8 could've done a lot better for what it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #90
formulagt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars.

Having owned both the R8*V8 and 2 ///M3's, I felt compelled to share my thoughts regarding the "comparison" and the comments made thus far.

I came directly from a 2011.5 E90 ///M3 DCT, have previously owned an E46 ///M3 (6spd) as well as a 335is, X5, etc. I've been thru the BMW lineup, I consider myself an enthusiast and have driven track events, canyons, the occasional fun run on the streets etc. When it comes to a blend of overall street-able "performance" IE: Straight Line, Handling, actual real-world use - the ///M does a magnificent job of doing all of these things VERY well. Some say to the same level or better than the R8*V8. But as someone mentioned, the same could be said about the ///M3 compared to a Mustang or a Vette (just typing that makes me barf a little in my mouth)

In my opinion, what's missing is the intangible factor. It means different things for all of us, but for me it's about what excites you when you open up the garage. For some, it may be a Type-R - for others, it may be an Aventador. This is where the R8 beats the ///M3 hands down for me.
If I had a dollar for everytime I saw an M3 here in SoCal...well, I'd be driving an Aventador LOL.

To be honest, if I wanted a car that was fast as hell, full performance oriented and seated 4, it would be a GT-R, not an ///M3. But to me they're butt ugly compared to the ///M.

As a BMW enthusiast, it's great to be proud of the performance of your car and I understand that. But you have to take into consideration all the factors if you're a true automotive enthusiast, regardless of make/model (unless it's american LOL /kidding) - it's easy to play the numbers game, the seat of the pants horsepower, etc. There will always be a faster, better car - enjoy your car and stop worrying about comparisons. Appreciate what other cars have to offer as well or better yet, own both or all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #91
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulagt View Post
Having owned both the R8*V8 and 2 ///M3's, I felt compelled to share my thoughts regarding the "comparison" and the comments made thus far.

I came directly from a 2011.5 E90 ///M3 DCT, have previously owned an E46 ///M3 (6spd) as well as a 335is, X5, etc. I've been thru the BMW lineup, I consider myself an enthusiast and have driven track events, canyons, the occasional fun run on the streets etc. When it comes to a blend of overall street-able "performance" IE: Straight Line, Handling, actual real-world use - the ///M does a magnificent job of doing all of these things VERY well. Some say to the same level or better than the R8*V8. But as someone mentioned, the same could be said about the ///M3 compared to a Mustang or a Vette (just typing that makes me barf a little in my mouth)

In my opinion, what's missing is the intangible factor. It means different things for all of us, but for me it's about what excites you when you open up the garage. For some, it may be a Type-R - for others, it may be an Aventador. This is where the R8 beats the ///M3 hands down for me.
If I had a dollar for everytime I saw an M3 here in SoCal...well, I'd be driving an Aventador LOL.

To be honest, if I wanted a car that was fast as hell, full performance oriented and seated 4, it would be a GT-R, not an ///M3. But to me they're butt ugly compared to the ///M.

As a BMW enthusiast, it's great to be proud of the performance of your car and I understand that. But you have to take into consideration all the factors if you're a true automotive enthusiast, regardless of make/model (unless it's american LOL /kidding) - it's easy to play the numbers game, the seat of the pants horsepower, etc. There will always be a faster, better car - enjoy your car and stop worrying about comparisons. Appreciate what other cars have to offer as well or better yet, own both or all.
Agree 100% and I think we all agree that the car looks stunning and offers exclusivity on par with it's price.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #92
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigbus View Post
I guess what some are saying is that to many, the "quality" of build between the R8 and M3 is not that different. At least, not on a scale comparable to a Ford Mustang vs the M3. And I can see where they are coming from.

I myself love the R8's, but have never driven one. The price to be paid is all based on exclusivity plus looks, quality, tech, etc. Value is subjective. I don't think the base price of a V8 R8 is terribly unreasonable.

But I can also see where the OP is coming from...I don't think the quality of the M3 is THAT far off from the Audi, so the M3 is quite a bargain and an amazing total package...which is something we already all know
I don't think Audi interior is light years ahead of BMW as many people here seem to think either, but the R8 interior is pretty plush. Lots of carbon fiber accents, stunning gauge cluster and if you opt for the manual, a nice gated shifter. When I drove it, the interior definitely felt like a nice step above my car which has extended leather.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #93
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulagt View Post

Great write up! Your closing statement said it all too
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #94
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Agreed on all fronts! We live in an insane engineering time, be thankful
      03-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #95
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Weird cause the R8 is A LOT faster the the 1M!
I assume you have raced both to be making these kind of accusations huh???

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #96
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
Every time I hear people comparing the Mustang with the M3 I remind them that the Mustang has a bigger engine. 1 liter bigger, which is a lot and still can't outperform the M3...
Fair enough, but the Boss 302 outperforms the M3 while only lightening your pocketbook by about $45K for a properly equipped model.

However, the M car is an all around way better car than the Boss, only losing out on track or dragstrip - and at the gas pumps, come to think of it.

All in all, I think the current M3 may be the best all around compromise car that the planet has ever seen, while the Boss is more or less a one trick pony. It sure as hell is good at that (track) trick, though.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #97
Matterhorn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
Every time I hear people comparing the Mustang with the M3 I remind them that the Mustang has a bigger engine. 1 liter bigger, which is a lot and still can't outperform the M3...
Fair enough, but the Boss 302 outperforms the M3 while only lightening your pocketbook by about $45K for a properly equipped model.

However, the M car is an all around way better car than the Boss, only losing out on track or dragstrip - and at the gas pumps, come to think of it.

All in all, I think the current M3 may be the best all around compromise car that the planet has ever seen, while the Boss is more or less a one trick pony. It sure as hell is good at that (track) trick, though.

Bruce
Agree 100%. The Boss is a great bargain if you're looking for something more dedicated. And the current M3 especially in a sedan is... well you said it, a great all arounder.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #98
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkhanna16 View Post
I assume you have raced both to be making these kind of accusations huh???
Yep, raced both on highway when i was stock and the R8 was a bit faster them me in 2nd gear and pretty equal after that while the 1M was equal with me in 2nd gear and as soon as I shifted in 3rd I completly destroyed him(by 130-140mph I had at least 7-8 car lenght on him), we repeated that race maybe 5 more time with always the same result! So yes the R8 is A LOT faster then the 1M, just like the M3, but that should'nt be a surprise, 330hp vs 420hp!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 03-23-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0