BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Jaijai
Banned
Rep
Drives: Alpineweiss M3

Wheel locks without keys?

So, my wheel lock "keys" are apparently missing and I cant get my wheels off. The garage folks tried but said it was impossible to get it off without a key. It has been a couple of months now and I dont know if I should ask the dealer because now I notice that some stuff from my toolbox and my wheel keys are missing!

Can I get a generic key from the dealer for the wheels or do I need lock specific keys?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
those lock keys have a designated no. assigned, but I found that its pretty much the same ones you can order thru the Dealer Parts Dept.
My suggestion, is take your car to the Parts Dept, asked them if they have a set of the lock set, leave your Driver license while you check out if those work on yours, and if it does. Then buy the whole set, since I doubt that they'll order you just the lock keys, but you can try.

GL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

The wheel lock "keys" are similar to a key for a deadbolt in that the keys are "all" different, BUT obviously, some are the same.....they can't have an infinite number of unique keys!

However, the chances of you finding a wheel lock kit with the same key as yours is close to zero, but not impossible. I doubt the dealer will let you cut open kit lock his to test the keys though.

Basically, you are screwed.

There are a couple ways to get off the locks, and none of them pretty.

One way is to beat a lug wrench or impact socket on that is slightly smaller than the lock over it....this is brute force and will destroy the locks. If you are lucky, they will not damage the wheels. This method worked on a set of cheap locks I had at one time, but I bet the BMW locks are better and harder metal that that.

The other way would be to cut two deep groves into the face of the lug and use an impact gun with a "phillips" type bit on it. Heating the lug with a torch prior to removing it will help loosen the lug as well.

I would recommend you just dump the car at the dealer and have them figure it out.

If you think it came without the "key" originally, tell them. But I doubt they are going to believe you....but it is worth a shot.

Good luck.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
The wheel lock "keys" are similar to a key for a deadbolt in that the keys are "all" different, BUT obviously, some are the same.....they can't have an infinite number of unique keys!

However, the chances of you finding a wheel lock kit with the same key as yours is close to zero, but not impossible. I doubt the dealer will let you cut open kit lock his to test the keys though.

Basically, you are screwed.

There are a couple ways to get off the locks, and none of them pretty.

One way is to beat a lug wrench or impact socket on that is slightly smaller than the lock over it....this is brute force and will destroy the locks. If you are lucky, they will not damage the wheels. This method worked on a set of cheap locks I had at one time, but I bet the BMW locks are better and harder metal that that.

The other way would be to cut two deep groves into the face of the lug and use an impact gun with a "phillips" type bit on it. Heating the lug with a torch prior to removing it will help loosen the lug as well.

I would recommend you just dump the car at the dealer and have them figure it out.

If you think it came without the "key" originally, tell them. But I doubt they are going to believe you....but it is worth a shot.

Good luck.
I think the idea in the post before your's may be a better approach. Go to a BMW dealer or two and see if they have the matching key and then buy the set. Better to try that before going crazy and damaging the wheels.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Shouldn't this thread belong in the general or wheels sub-forum? What's it doing in the engine/powertrain section?
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
I have seen some special impact sockets that may be able to remove the lugs. But this will only work if there's enough room between the wheel and the lug itself. Basically the socket will "bite" into the outer casing of the lug and unscrew it in that manner (The inside looks like a beveled spiral with teeth). The lug will become unusable afterwards though. If I remember correctly these are only available to licensed mechanic shops, so your mechanic should be able to locate one. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I think the idea in the post before your's may be a better approach. Go to a BMW dealer or two and see if they have the matching key and then buy the set. Better to try that before going crazy and damaging the wheels.
Good luck with that.

Seems like that would be like going to a locksmith and asking for a couple of keys to fit your deadbolt. Total shot in the dark, and I seriously doubt they will cut open their stock of lock kits so you can try the keys.

Worth a shot I guess, but I think your odds are better hitting the lotto.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Jaijai
Banned
Rep

For now I have left it with the dealer and told him that some stuff from my tool box was missing and he needs to get those for me. The sales man said that he has no idea where the missing parts are but the service guy was helpful in telling me that he will try to figure it out and let me know how it goes. This is simply retarded but I would imagine that the dealer should have a master key that would open all freaking locks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
Bluedoor2002
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 - Interlagos Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
I have seen some special impact sockets that may be able to remove the lugs. But this will only work if there's enough room between the wheel and the lug itself. Basically the socket will "bite" into the outer casing of the lug and unscrew it in that manner (The inside looks like a beveled spiral with teeth). The lug will become unusable afterwards though. If I remember correctly these are only available to licensed mechanic shops, so your mechanic should be able to locate one. Good luck!
Sears sells these impact sockets. A little frighteningly easy to buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
go to the dealer, They should have a matching key somewhere in the store... They will charge you a minimal amount and u will just have to buy a new set of lugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

i would just let my dealer take care of it ... I am sure you are not the first one to come wit this problem ...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Now that is a problem.
      12-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
lol
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Jaijai
Banned
Rep

Update - it took the dealer almost 2 days to get the locks off! They apparently had a misplaced set of master keys....

anyway, the SA said that they were just going to charge sales for the 3 hours they spent to get the wheel locks off...ridiculous!

on the bright side he gave me a brand new set of wheel locks and before that asked me how likely is it that your wheels might get jacked..lol!

Anyway, I got to enjoy the new 2009 550i for a few days as a loner...not bad eeh!
Appreciate 0