BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #529
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
So just because someone pays 75k for a car, then they MUST have DCT?

People pay 150k for cars that only come with 6MT. I guess they're wrong too?

Cost has ZERO to do with a preference. I have both versions and I like both for what they are. But the 6MT is hardly a downgrade as you are trying to make it sound.

If I had to guess, you're one of those guys that can't work on his own car. Doesn't track, doesn't mod and would also think the e93 m3 is better because it "costs more" right?

Get real... They are both great! It's a preference! Not an upgrade.
Wow bro, you couldnt be more wrong, you dont know me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #530
Tkiss
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: m3 e92 2010 DCT

Tell me please, how to switch from parking to N if the engine not starts.. my starter is dead (((
      06-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #531
key428
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe Jerez Black DCT

I'm in,
2011 E92 M3 DCT....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #532
Staypuft_E92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone e92

mDCT Lover Joining in

Hey All - just joined the forums and the m3 owners group. I bought my 2009 Silverstone e92 on Saturday and I drove a 6MT before I drove the DCT and I chose the mDCT!

06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #533
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkiss View Post
Tell me please, how to switch from parking to N if the engine not starts.. my starter is dead (((

There is a manual switch under the leather center console lever cover. Use a screw driver to flip it, this puts the transmission in N.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #534
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Just picked up my 2013 dct m3 after its break in service at bmw and I find out the dct transmission fluid has been changed after I requested them not to.

so there I am asking the service rep why did they change it and is it done according to the newest tech bulletin and the guy tells me "before the tranny oil never needed changing and now bmw came out with this new bulletin about the dct tranny oil and its suppose to be changed at every service..."

So i call another bmw dealer after, and this dealer tells me the 1st service does not include a transmission fluid change because the fluid is good for the life time of the vehicle.

am i SOL with a time bomb transmission now....

also they turned off my auto start and shift indicator lights.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #535
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunman View Post
Just picked up my 2013 dct m3 after its break in service at bmw and I find out the dct transmission fluid has been changed after I requested them not to.

so there I am asking the service rep why did they change it and is it done according to the newest tech bulletin and the guy tells me "before the tranny oil never needed changing and now bmw came out with this new bulletin about the dct tranny oil and its suppose to be changed at every service..."

So i call another bmw dealer after, and this dealer tells me the 1st service does not include a transmission fluid change because the fluid is good for the life time of the vehicle.

am i SOL with a time bomb transmission now....

also they turned off my auto start and shift indicator lights.

OH No! Its GOING TO GRENADE!

Dude, seriously... its just transmission oil. I would want my mine changed if they offered.
      08-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #536
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:

Cost has ZERO to do with a preference. I have both versions and I like both for what they are. But the 6MT is hardly a downgrade as you are trying to make it sound.

If I had to guess, you're one of those guys that can't work on his own car. Doesn't track, doesn't mod and would also think the e93 m3 is better because it "costs more" right?

Agreed My Friend, Agreed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #537
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 Mineral Grey/DCT

Count me in!! Just picked IT up!!!!
2013 E93 M3 DCT!!

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk (gone)
2016 F83 M4 DCT MG/Black

Last edited by k5ng; 08-19-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #538
andrE92w
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

count me in as well! picked up my m3 this past weekend. e92 w/ dct! cant wait till break-in period is complete...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #539
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Farewell DCT.. Im going back to 6MT. From a performance standpoint, the DCT is better. But I got bored with it.

I will miss the perfect rev matches and being able to drive while drinking my frappachino. But that's about it. =(

Now its back to fun times!
That, of course, is your preference. It's your car, you're paying for it.

But, to relegate DCT as simply providing perfect rev matches and being able to drive while drinking a cup of joe, I think you are missing the point.

You can drive any cars with MT (obviously on cars that have MT available, that is). I mean, if having the satisfaction of rowing your own gears is your thing, you can do that with pretty much any car. But, why give up on such an amazing technology as DCT when it's available? E9x M3's 6MT is a merely-ok MT. There are cars with better MT out there. Compared to the fantastic S65 motor and E9x chassis, 6MT is a mere-ok technology. Put S65, DCT & E9x chassis together, and IMHO, you have a package that's firing on all cylinders, so to speak. This has nothing to do with DCT shifting faster or whatever.

When you're driving a car like this at its peak or near-peak performance, wherein you're concerned with weight shifts as you brake into and then accelerate out of apexes, correcting oversteers, managing grip versus slip angles, etc, etc, putting the tranny into appropriate gears by shifting MT or DCT is relatively unimportant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you into staying with DCT. As I said, it's your car, you do what you want. But, it's just amazing to see people preferring a plain-vanilla 6MT on a car that has other, better (IMHO) option. And, this whole 6MT-vs-DCT issue gets clouded when people who just learned how to drive MT gets their heads ballooned with an over-inflated sense of accomplishment and sophomorically characterize DCT as being for soccer moms, or people who don't want to or aren't capable of learning MT, or it's for tracking only, etc.

When you've driven all kinds of cars over the years, both MT & otherwise, it's just mind-boggling, how a person can grossly-oversimplify & brush off DCT.

Quote:

Jezuz, calm down. I didn't read ibmike's post as being focused on the cost.

And, they're not both great. 6MT is found on all sorts of other cars too. Nothing special. The reason for your perception that it's great is due to the S65 motor.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 08-13-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #540
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey `11 M3 ZCP

Add me to the list. `11 Space Grey E92.
      08-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #541
ANTE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i coupe

I been a long time old school guy who love manual but after driving the DCT i fell in love with it and wouldnt take a manual car over the DCT. love it.. add me in
E93 M3 Vert
E92 335i Coupe Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #542
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:

Im in the club...^^^ hes just mad because a performance car is about speed and hes slower.
By the way I have been working on cars since I was young, just sold a manual corvette with 700 hp, supercharged, meth, boost a pump, you name it ...I did it. So his delusion that people that don't work on their cars have DCTs is crap.

In fact I would guess hes one of those that works on his car ( changes oil etc.) but does not modify it. Or maybe he does modify but pays someone else to do it for him...lol. I say this because anyone who is a true performance car junky/modifer is always looking for that extra tenth of a second somewhere, weight reduction, power increase, and yes shift times!!

When I test drove the M3 I gladly went with the first upgrade modification on the M3 which is the DCT....where there is speed one must go. Honestly, unsure why anyone who cares about speed and modifications would buy a slower car ....when the DCT is faster. In the corvette world the manual is faster than the automatic so you buy the manual. However, in the M3 world it isn't so why buy it? Maybe so you can tell your friends your a "purist" who changes his own oil?

I always changed my manual shifters in my past cars to short throw to reduce shift times. The DCT reduces shift times people!! So you "purists" go be purists and lose races. The bottom line is that if any sports car has a faster shifting option is a performance upgrade.

Last edited by Cool Steel; 08-29-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #543
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post

But, to relegate DCT as simply providing perfect rev matches and being able to drive while drinking a cup of joe, I think you are missing the point.

You can drive any cars with MT (obviously on cars that have MT available, that is). I mean, if having the satisfaction of rowing your own gears is your thing, you can do that with pretty much any car. But, why give up on such an amazing technology as DCT when it's available? E9x M3's 6MT is a merely-ok MT. There are cars with better MT out there. Compared to the fantastic S65 motor and E9x chassis, 6MT is a mere-ok technology. Put S65, DCT & E9x chassis together, and IMHO, you have a package that's firing on all cylinders, so to speak. This has nothing to do with DCT shifting faster or whatever.

When you're driving a car like this at its peak or near-peak performance, wherein you're concerned with weight shifts as you brake into and then accelerate out of apexes, correcting oversteers, managing grip versus slip angles, etc, etc, putting the tranny into appropriate gears by shifting MT or DCT is relatively unimportant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you into staying with DCT. As I said, it's your car, you do what you want. But, it's just amazing to see people preferring a plain-vanilla 6MT on a car that has other, better (IMHO) option. And, this whole 6MT-vs-DCT issue gets clouded when people who just learned how to drive MT gets their heads ballooned with an over-inflated sense of accomplishment and sophomorically characterize DCT as being for soccer moms, or people who don't want to or aren't capable of learning MT, or it's for tracking only, etc.

When you've driven all kinds of cars over the years, both MT & otherwise, it's just mind-boggling, how a person can grossly-oversimplify & brush off DCT.

And, they're not both great. 6MT is found on all sorts of other cars too. Nothing special. The reason for your perception that it's great is due to the S65 motor.
Whatever man. I have both. If you like DCT, then get DCT. Im not a racer, so I don't care what is technically faster. I already admitted I felt the DCT is a better "over all" transmission, but IMO, its BORING. Period. If you don't like what I think, oh well. Because frankly, I could care less what you think is better. I bought what I LIKE. Not what YOU LIKE. Understand? Good.

There is nothing wrong with liking what you like. The problem is; when you start telling me your choice is better because you choose one option over another. Get over yourself.
      08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #544
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Im in the club...^^^ hes just mad because a performance car is about speed and hes slower.
By the way I have been working on cars since I was young, just sold a manual corvette with 700 hp, supercharged, meth, boost a pump, you name it ...I did it. So his delusion that people that don't work on their cars have DCTs is crap.

In fact I would guess hes one of those that works on his car ( changes oil etc.) but does not modify it. Or maybe he does modify but pays someone else to do it for him...lol. I say this because anyone who is a true performance car junky/modifer is always looking for that extra tenth of a second somewhere, weight reduction, power increase, and yes shift times!!

When I test drove the M3 I gladly went with the first upgrade modification on the M3 which is the DCT....where there is speed one must go. Honestly, unsure why anyone who cares about speed and modifications would buy a slower car ....when the DCT is faster. In the corvette world the manual is faster than the automatic so you buy the manual. However, in the M3 world it isn't so why buy it? Maybe so you can tell your friends your a "purist" who changes his own oil?

I always changed my manual shifters in my past cars to short throw to reduce shift times. The DCT reduces shift times people!! So you "purists" go be purists and lose races. The bottom line is that if any sports car has a faster shifting option is a performance upgrade.
Oh boy... here we go again. We have another one explaining why his choice is better. If you want to be Ricky Racer and have that 10th of a second faster lap, have at it buddy. I really don't care! I just don't like elitist acting like there choice in a transmission makes them better than the next guy. I find DCT boring. You like it. Oh well. Who cares buddy. You buy what you like and I will drive what I like. End of story.

But anyone who acts like an elitist because he thinks DCT is SO much better is a tool in my book.

You guys going to rant and rave over me liking vanilla ice cream over you liking chocolate too? You guys remind me of church people who come to my door and want me to like there religion or else I'm a sinner. Heaven forbid people from having there own opinions.

For the rest of you...

Enjoy what you like. Who cares what people think. If we all did the same thing, nothing would be original. No one would have there own opinions and the world would be boring! Like what you want to like and if someone like something else, don't act like some elitist ass-hat who feels hes better than you just because he choose something you didn't.

/I'm out.
      08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #545
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Whatever man. I have both. If you like DCT, then get DCT. Im not a racer, so I don't care what is technically faster. I already admitted I felt the DCT is a better "over all" transmission, but IMO, its BORING. Period. If you don't like what I think, oh well. Because frankly, I could care less what you think is better. I bought what I LIKE. Not what YOU LIKE. Understand? Good.

There is nothing wrong with liking what you like. The problem is; when you start telling me your choice is better because you choose one option over another. Get over yourself.
Quote:
Oh boy... here we go again. We have another one explaining why his choice is better. If you want to be Ricky Racer and have that 10th of a second faster lap, have at it buddy. I really don't care! I just don't like elitist acting like there choice in a transmission makes them better than the next guy. I find DCT boring. You like it. Oh well. Who cares buddy. You buy what you like and I will drive what I like. End of story.

But anyone who acts like an elitist because he thinks DCT is SO much better is a tool in my book.

You guys going to rant and rave over me liking vanilla ice cream over you liking chocolate too? You guys remind me of church people who come to my door and want me to like there religion or else I'm a sinner. Heaven forbid people from having there own opinions.

For the rest of you...

Enjoy what you like. Who cares what people think. If we all did the same thing, nothing would be original. No one would have there own opinions and the world would be boring! Like what you want to like and if someone like something else, don't act like some elitist ass-hat who feels hes better than you just because he choose something you didn't.

/I'm out.
No no no, you (along with half the people who post on this forum) got it all wrong. I agree with you that it's one's choice (didn't I say that already? --> "That, of course, is your preference. It's your car, you're paying for it") and, whatever choice one makes, that's fine - i.e. the "choice" is fine. What is not are these idiotic claims that 6MT fanboys tend to make (99% of whom never even drove/tested DCT). Anyhow, a lot of this type of banter on the forum is a result of some serious degree of reading-comprehension problems.

Look, I've had both too. You and I are in a small minority group.

In any case, you used words like "elitist" and, when I read what 6MT fans write, that's exactly the impression I get - i.e. that, because they prefer to row their own gear, they are somehow part of an elite group, and that somehow makes them some sort of purists. Add to that, these idiotic wholesale claims that people who bought DCT are a bunch of soccer moms, can't or won't drive MT, typically don't work on their own cars, etc, etc, no wonder this DCT-vs-6MT arguments never die out. I personally know at least 3 6MT people in SoCal who learned how to drive MT in their M3 (i.e. they have less than 2 years of MT experience, embarrasingly stalling their cars all over the streets mere months before posting on m3post.com) and, to read their posts on here, my gawd, you'd think they went thru tens of MT cars over decades and are genuine experts. You read posts from the likes of them, and see how similar more than half of the posts from other 6MT fanboys are, I tend to argue against their sophomoric arguments. This is not about trying to claim that 6MT sux, or that it's a poor choice, etc (although, in my and many others' minds, DCT is clearly a better technology).

If pro-6MT arguments were posted by experienced 6MT owners like Kaiv, Radiation Joe, radiantM3, Ti-Jean, pkim1079, etc (I'm sure there are a lot more out there, I just don't know of them), who I KNOW have very good MT skills, hey, no argument from me. More power to them. In fact, their posts on this subject tends to be spot-on, objective, and are void of silly, sophomoric claims. But, then, you have these other random, anonymous idiots, the extent of whose driving skills are going on "spirited" drives (with MDM on, mind you), and wildly claim "6MT FTW, and DCT drivers are a bunch of women"...

I can't speak for other DCT owners, but although I track, I did not choose DCT because it shifts faster (and, I'm pretty sure the majority of DCT owners didn't either). I chose it simply because I found the 6MT M3 I had (2008 model) to be ok at best, and because I found DCT to be an amazing technology.

In closing, totally agree with you on this --> "Enjoy what you like. Who cares what people think. If we all did the same thing, nothing would be original." If other 6MT people posted like that, we'd have no issues.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 08-29-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #546
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:

For the rest of you...

/I'm out.

I don't know what weird "elitist" generalization you are making about DCT owners ..cause its just weird. However, I actually find the MT crowd on this forum to be quite condescending claiming they are "purists" and DCTs are for women, the DCT is boring .. blah blah. So I find myself defending the DCT although I shouldn't. I do have to say this, I have never, ever, been on a "performance" car forum -with the factually slower model- defending and crapping on the faster model with such arrogance. Its a joke. In the end who cares....I just don't get why on gods green earth would a "true" performance car owner, that spent 70k on a performance car, not care about an option that makes him faster...IMOP. I guess it goes both ways..

Also keep in mind that this is a DCT club thread...so if you post that the DCT is boring...than expect to be flamed. Funny statement "boring" maybe your 24 and still care about proving your a man cause you shift...I don't know because believe me ...I never found winning a race boring. If you didn't want to go fast and just wanted to say " I own a M3" to your friends...than more power to you. Just don't race a DCT or you will lose...

P.S. Choc vs Vanilla is subjective ....however DCT is factually faster...

Last edited by Cool Steel; 08-29-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #547
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

By the way rowing the gears in a manual is "more fun" ? The DCT is boring?...really?

Aventador, Enzo, GTR, Pagani Huayra, Bugatti Veyron - to name just a few supercars......I wouldn't call any of these super cars boring to drive.

Last edited by Cool Steel; 08-29-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #548
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
In closing, totally agree with you on this --> "Enjoy what you like. Who cares what people think. If we all did the same thing, nothing would be original." If other 6MT people posted like that, we'd have no issues.

Quote:
I don't know what weird "elitist" generalization you are making about DCT owners ..cause its just weird. However, I actually find the MT crowd on this forum to be quite condescending claiming they are "purists" and DCTs are for women, the DCT is boring .. blah blah. So I find myself defending the DCT although I shouldn't. I do have to say this, I have never, ever, been on a "performance" car forum -with the factually slower model- defending and crapping on the faster model with such arrogance. Its a joke. In the end who cares....I just don't get why on gods green earth would a "true" performance car owner, that spent 70k on a performance car, not care about an option that makes him faster...IMOP. I guess it goes both ways..

Also keep in mind that this is a DCT club thread...so if you post that the DCT is boring...than expect to be flamed. Funny statement "boring" maybe your 24 and still care about proving your a man cause you shift...I don't know because believe me ...I never found winning a race boring. If you didn't want to go fast and just wanted to say " I own a M3" to your friends...than more power to you. Just don't race a DCT or you will lose...

P.S. Choc vs Vanilla is subjective ....however DCT is factually faster...
I didn't make any generalizations that all DCT drivers were elitist. I said I dont like elitist who think there choice of transmission makes them better. Mind you that can work both ways.

Quote:
By the way rowing the gears in a manual is "more fun" ? The DCT is boring?...really? HELL YES IT IS IMO.

Aventador, Enzo, GTR, Pagani Huayra, Bugatti Veyron - to name just a few supercars......I wouldn't call any of these super cars boring to drive.
To me, yes they would be boring to drive. Again... its a preference. My left foot wants to drive too. Anyone can mash the gas and go. I prefer to engage my left foot.

If I have both and I know how each one drives, then why is my preference towards 6MT so overwhelming for you? The cost of the car means NOTHING to me in regards to what makes a performance car a performance car. Maybe to you, but it doesn't to me. DCT doesn't make me feel my M3 is anything less than yours. IMO, I think my 6MT is better than the DCT for what I bought the car for. I DD my car 10 miles a day and DCT bores me to death in how I use my car. Where as my 6MT bring a smile to my face. That's my opinion of it. Now if I bought my car to be ricky racer at the local track, then yes I would use my DCT.

Ive already stated once I find the DCT to be a better "overall" fit for the M3. I just dont like it anymore. So its not like I'm telling you mine is better. Yet the majority of you (including you at this point) still continue to tell me DCT is better than mine. Maybe in pure performance mode yes. But for DD use, not in my book. And the worst part is you guys saying stuff like "you spent 70K on a car with a manual". What the hell does cost have to do with a preference? It doesn't, yet you guys keep bringing that up. Its THOSE comments that make YOU DCT guys sound like elitist.

Anyways... I shouldn't have posted this as I really don't wish to bicker with you guys. I'm on both camps and my choice is my choice for DD use. If I was a track rat, then sure I would probably drive my DCT. But I'm not so 6MT FTW in my book. And I'm happy its DCT FTW in yours. Whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy your cars. I know I do.

/Peace out
      08-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #549
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I didn't make any generalizations that all DCT drivers were elitist. I said I dont like elitist who think there choice of transmission makes them better. Mind you that can work both ways.

To me, yes they would be boring to drive. Again... its a preference. My left foot wants to drive too. Anyone can mash the gas and go. I prefer to engage my left foot.

If I have both and I know how each one drives, then why is my preference towards 6MT so overwhelming for you? The cost of the car means NOTHING to me in regards to what makes a performance car a performance car. Maybe to you, but it doesn't to me. DCT doesn't make me feel my M3 is anything less than yours. IMO, I think my 6MT is better than the DCT for what I bought the car for. I DD my car 10 miles a day and DCT bores me to death in how I use my car. Where as my 6MT bring a smile to my face. That's my opinion of it. Now if I bought my car to be ricky racer at the local track, then yes I would use my DCT.

Ive already stated once I find the DCT to be a better "overall" fit for the M3. I just dont like it anymore. So its not like I'm telling you mine is better. Yet the majority of you (including you at this point) still continue to tell me DCT is better than mine. Maybe in pure performance mode yes. But for DD use, not in my book. And the worst part is you guys saying stuff like "you spent 70K on a car with a manual". What the hell does cost have to do with a preference? It doesn't, yet you guys keep bringing that up. Its THOSE comments that make YOU DCT guys sound like elitist.

Anyways... I shouldn't have posted this as I really don't wish to bicker with you guys. I'm on both camps and my choice is my choice for DD use. If I was a track rat, then sure I would probably drive my DCT. But I'm not so 6MT FTW in my book. And I'm happy its DCT FTW in yours. Whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy your cars. I know I do.

/Peace out
Okay, Okay dude....take a pill. No one cares...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #550
neolimitex
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Count me in! '11 E90 M3 DCT
Appreciate 0