BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: Which one of the following do you consider to be the last ream ///M Car?
E30 M3 27 12.50%
E46 M3 26 12.04%
E9X M3 124 57.41%
E39 M5 1 0.46%
E60 M5 1 0.46%
E63 M6 1 0.46%
E82 1M 13 6.02%
Other (specify in thread - M1 does not count) 4 1.85%
N/A - I like the direction and future that the M division is headed for. 19 8.80%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

07-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #89
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Z4 M Coupé E86
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #90
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

I own a 2004 E46 M3 Coupe and let me tell ya-even with 74,xxx miles on the clock-that car is solid as a rock. No interior rattles/creaks or things out of whack.

The model was not perfect-Subframe failures, Vanos failures, Defective rear view mirror etc...but there has been no other car that tugs my heart strings like it has. It captured the essence of a flickable-total jackass rocket that could easily look civil given any situation. The design is the high mark of BMW design-no doubt and will always be close to my heart. That S54 engine sings a song unlike no other.

Even today-the E46 M3 with its bulldog stance garners attention everywhere. With gas prices this high-guess what I still get upto 28mpg on hwy driving on on a 6th gear roll.

I LOVE THE E46 M3 and am sad that I will have to sell it soon for my new E9X M3
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #91
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
I hear this all the time. The 1m is more similar to the e30 because it went on a diet or is a smaller.

The e9x/e30 situation is analogous to the evolution of birds. Although Dinosaurs do not physically (phenotypically) resemble birds, birds evolved from dinosaurs. Similarly, although the e30 does not resemble the e9x via the number of cylinders in the engine, weight, luxury options or whatever, the same m3 DNA courses through them. Just as dinosaurs and amphibians look similar superficially (at least more so than dinosaurs and birds), evolutionarily they are not related to each other. Not even close. This is the same with the e30 and the 1m. Although they share a few superficial characteristics, the 1m lacks the m3 DNA and thus the 1m cannot be considered in the same vein as the m3 because it is an evolution of the 1 series.
That might be the first time I've seen an M3 analogized to dinosaurs and the conclusion still made sense! Well done, CB.

lhsa is correct in saying that the definition of a true M car is subjective. However, as the people that buy M cars, we are in the best position to define that phrase. As mentioned, M is moving away from SOME of the things that made M cars what they are to us today. If this V6TTT rumor is true, than the last true M car is either the E46 M3 ZCP or the E92 M3. Period.

That doesn't mean the next M3 won't be awesome, it's just that it won't have many (or any) of the characteristics that got M to where it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
This is an M3 forum, of course the poll is going to be biased. On 1addicts the 1M would be leading, on f10post the M5 would be winning, and I doubt X5/X6 M owners like to be told they dont drive a "real" M-car.
again, the better term is "true" M car, not real M car. They are all real, as Bruce has made clear (which i agree with his logic, as simple as it is), but even M5 and M6 owners would agree that they are not driving a true M car in the sense of what it has been about from day one and what efforts were made to stay true to that objective. These are just my opinions, but if I was an E60 M5 owner, I would easily submit that the M3 is more of a true M car than "my" M5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I own a 2004 E46 M3 Coupe and let me tell ya-even with 74,xxx miles on the clock-that car is solid as a rock. No interior rattles/creaks or things out of whack.

The model was not perfect-Subframe failures, Vanos failures, Defective rear view mirror etc...but there has been no other car that tugs my heart strings like it has. It captured the essence of a flickable-total jackass rocket that could easily look civil given any situation. The design is the high mark of BMW design-no doubt and will always be close to my heart. That S54 engine sings a song unlike no other.

Even today-the E46 M3 with its bulldog stance garners attention everywhere. With gas prices this high-guess what I still get upto 28mpg on hwy driving on on a 6th gear roll.

I LOVE THE E46 M3 and am sad that I will have to sell it soon for my new E9X M3
Yes, I miss my E46 as well, but you will learn to love this car. I would not go back at this point. the S65 music is so addictive!

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0