BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #111
wjesco
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 IB M3 Sedan

Hello all,

I am getting a right turn signal malfunction after installing my WeissLicht Amber Turn Signal bulbs . Has anyone here experienced the same problem. I am at the dealership for an Auto Butler service and Oil Change and I asked the SA and he told me that it could be because I replaced a halogen bulb with an LED bulb that has less resistance.

I thought these things were supposed to be error free? I am only getting the error against the right side turn signal even though they both seem to work just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
2011 E90 M3 M-Individual Fox Red/Black Two Tone Interior/Steering wheel,3D Design front lip,Type II Diffuser,IND reflectors,Cyber Scoops,Performance front grills/side grilles w/LED light, Macht Schnell Spacers, ZCP,ZCV,ZP3,6MT,Split rear seat, BMW Apps, EPS
1995 325is, 1991 735iL
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #112
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjesco View Post
Hello all,

I am getting a right turn signal malfunction after installing my WeissLicht Amber Turn Signal bulbs . Has anyone here experienced the same problem. I am at the dealership for an Auto Butler service and Oil Change and I asked the SA and he told me that it could be because I replaced a halogen bulb with an LED bulb that has less resistance.

I thought these things were supposed to be error free? I am only getting the error against the right side turn signal even though they both seem to work just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Same here, mine throw the same error - right turn signal malfunction.

However it goes away after few blinks, it seems like I am getting this after I turn on/off the hazard lights.

I am going to code out bulb checks..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #113
wjesco
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@Modmynav
Quote:
Hello all,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Same here, mine throw the same error - right turn signal malfunction.

However it goes away after few blinks, it seems like I am getting this after I turn on/off the hazard lights.

I am going to code out bulb checks..
How do you code out the bulb check?
2011 E90 M3 M-Individual Fox Red/Black Two Tone Interior/Steering wheel,3D Design front lip,Type II Diffuser,IND reflectors,Cyber Scoops,Performance front grills/side grilles w/LED light, Macht Schnell Spacers, ZCP,ZCV,ZP3,6MT,Split rear seat, BMW Apps, EPS
1995 325is, 1991 735iL
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #114
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Custom coding..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #115
wjesco
Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@Modmynav
Quote:
Custom coding..
I have decided to return the bulbs and re-install my egg yolks
I don't feel comfortable coding off bulb checks on a relatively new car. If this was my 1995 325is I wouldn't think twice about it.
I guess I will wait till someone makes stealth bulbs that are actually error free.
1995 325is, 1991 735iL
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #116
cntgetm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just installed mine ($22 ebay) they look good. havent taken her out yet so no coding issues over here. Ill post a Video once im done editing. *myediting skills leave much to be desired*
      06-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #117
ms2bmw
Rep
Drives: M3

Installed this last month and started getting the turn signal malfunction message. Initially it was on the left but now its also happening on the right. Bimmian is suggesting I set the headlamps to "off" and not "Auto". Anyone else have a solution other than "coding"?

I also asked bimmian why we have to shave the base of the bulb to make it fit the holder. Shouldn't this be part of the design of the bulb so we don't have to do any shaving?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #118
Mr. M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Anyone in socal area willing to help me install? I cant seem to get the damn lights out after removing the front panel!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #119
squidmark
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Success! After a disastrous first attempt where I thought I had bent one of the prongs inside the headlight beyond repair, I decided to try again (after bending the prong back again). Biggest tips I can give, probably been mentioned earlier but I'll reiterate:

1) Remove the wheel! Makes it much easier when you can stick your head and there and see things.
2) Once the bulb is removed, look inside to see the prongs in the housing; they are at 9 and 3 o'clock.
3) Sand the LED bulb as described earlier so they twist all the way in the base - or at least within 0.5 mm from full-twist which is what I did.
4) Orient the bulb/base so it's contacts are at 9 and 3 o'clock to line up with the prongs and slowly and firmly push into headlight until it's completely seated.
5) The most important step: check to make sure it works by switching on your hazard flashers before twisting the base to lock. If they don't work you've either missed or bent a prong. Without studying the contact mechanism before, I though you had to twist the base to make them work.
6) Once they're working, only then twist clockwise to lock and then test once more with the hazards for good measure before putting cover and wheel back.
I did exactly what David ran into (before reading his comments). Spent an hour cursing and spitting when I couldn't get the LED or old bulb back into the driver's side. Finally took off the wheel, unbent the pins and got the damn thing installed.

Like he said: take the wheels off and use the hazards to check pin contact before turning the carrier into place.

It took me 1hr + to do the driver side and repair bent pins. 5 minutes to do passenger with the wheel off knowing what to look for.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #120
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M3 View Post
Anyone in socal area willing to help me install? I cant seem to get the damn lights out after removing the front panel!!!
I JUST got these in the mail, and I'm in LA... but I'm probably in the same spot as you. Have you managed to do it?
      07-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #121
Mr. M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I took it to EAS to get it installed since I didn't have a carjack, but have to go back since my driver side bulb went out completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleen View Post
I JUST got these in the mail, and I'm in LA... but I'm probably in the same spot as you. Have you managed to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #122
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M3 View Post
I took it to EAS to get it installed since I didn't have a carjack, but have to go back since my driver side bulb went out completely.
Who's EAS?
      07-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #123
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleen View Post
Who's EAS?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #124
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

The $10 pair I bought off ebay required shaving as well, I had to shave it at a different spot though, look below:

The one off ebay has different wiring as well, looks "cheaper".

But they work, they are bright and white and no errors.

Anyways thank you for the picture, thought I bought the wrong bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #125
TX_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 M3

looks like jlevi is now selling these bulbs. is anyone using this having any fitment problems?

http://www.jlevisw.com/accessories/B...for-92-BMW.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #126
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3 View Post
looks like jlevi is now selling these bulbs. is anyone using this having any fitment problems?
No fitment problems here.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #127
imdrax
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

is everyone really having this much trouble installing them? I ordered mine from ebay for $15 shipped, no errors and installed pretty easy. Only thing i did was open the prongs up a little so it would be easier install and bam, slipped right in.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #128
sachaja
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3 View Post

http://www.jlevisw.com/accessories/B...for-92-BMW.htm

I couldn't get these to attach firmly to the bulb holders . Every time I tried to install them into the light housing they became loose
Appreciate 0