BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Mporium BMW

12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

450D (XSI) upgrade to ?

I know there's a lot of these types of threads out there but I'm wondering if I can get an opinion from you guys.

I have been using the 450D for a number of years now and I've been pretty happy with it. I've given up the kit 18-55 lens and now have a Tamron 17-50, a Canon 50 1.8, and a 75-300, as well as a starter Speedlite (270EX2). I'm enjoying these lenses and the flash a fair bit.

During the years I've taken the camera travelling to Europe and Asia but in the future I see taking a lot more indoor shots because wife and I just had a newborn... thus far I've been finding that the 450D is fairly slow to focus (missed shots) and very noisy at low light (I think ISO 1600 max only).

I shoot both JPEG and RAW.. primarily so I can just use the RAW files to play with the colors but no photoshopping. I already have a dedicated video camera (DSLR videos are nice but I don't think I have the creative chops or patience to do HD video like what we see online)

Would you guys recommend me updating to a T4i or upgrade to a 60D? I have a friend that is looking to sell his 18 month old 60D (he's upgrading to a full frame, which I don't plan on doing). My wife uses my camera sometimes, but she's more of a point and shoot person.. she definitely won't be interested in a more complicated and heavier camera (although I am considering keeping the 450D as a backup body)

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

I would recommend the 60D over the T4i, unless your budget can afford the 7D.
      12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

First off congrats on the newborn - just had one too 4 months ago to add to our existing one who's not-so-newborn anymore

For what it's worth, I'll mention that until 3 weeks ago I've been shooting with an XTi (400D) for 6 years.

Once the first kid came, and indoor shots became more prevalent in my photography, I saw the same issues as you and the same limitations. The single best thing that helped me was getting an external flash (580EXII) for those indoor shots with the kids. If you already have one, just disregard this for a moment, but if not, it will absolutely help. Just bouncing it off the ceiling was enough to make up for the limitations of the XTi.

As for T4i vs. 60D - the 60D seems to be the better choice except one thing to note is that the T4i is able to go 1 stop higher in ISO. This could be important for getting indoor shots that are in focus and motion-blur free if you're not using a flash since you'll need the higher ISO's to get fast enough shutter speeds.

However, I am not familiar with the high ISO performance of either camera. I would recommend to check out POTN (photography-on-the.net) which is a Canon fan-site for all things Canon DSLR. There are going to be tons of image samples from both cameras as well as discussions on ISO performance, etc.

One other thing to consider is that the 60D has a better viewfinder (much larger and easier to see through) than the T4i, which again once you experience it, it's amazing how much of a difference that can make.

So there's some give and take, but if the 1 stop higher ISO of the T4i isn't a big deal - the 60D goes up to 6400 (and 12800 on H) - the 60D is otherwise the better choice from what it looks like.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0