BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

08-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

This just irritates me when other drivers....

So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

It just irritates me when other drivers:
  • On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • Double park/stand and leave nobody behind the wheel.
  • An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
When slower drivers cut in front of you on the highway at the last second, even though they saw you coming from a mile away and had enough of an opportunity to do so in that time.

When I attempt to overtake a slow driver only for them to accelerate to my speed or even faster.

When cars drive right behind me to get me out the way when the slow lane is clearly occupied by trucks/ much slower cars and we're driving in a convoy of traffic. We're not going anywhere buddy..

Having poor reaction times to green lights which leads to only 3 cars getting past the traffic light.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[*]On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
+1000
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
Quote:
[*]On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
+1000
Extra douche points for the people who never return to the right lane.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

People that don't accelerate up to speed on highway onramps. Then these same people try to merge with traffic that is going the speed limit or above.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Cyclists.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

People that feel the need to speed up as you're in the process of passing them, then ride your ass as if you were the one going slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Bigrob126
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe Auto

The moron in the fast lane that won't get the F out of your way, even though there's nobody in the middle lane! They must feel..." I'm in the fast lane, and here I am a stayin!! This is mainly when i drive from Vegas to CA! I love em!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
The moron in the fast lane that won't get the F out of your way, even though there's nobody in the middle lane! They must feel..." I'm in the fast lane, and here I am a stayin!! This is mainly when i drive from Vegas to CA! I love em!!
If the middle lane is open to the point that I could just move to the middle lane, I won't be pissed at the guy who stays in the left.

I know the "customs/rules of the road" call for passing on the left, but the reality is that as long as the situation allows me to move forward, I don't mind being the one who has to change lanes. That's especially so if I'm overtaking a guy in the left lane because after I pass him, I'm most likely headed tot he middle or right lane anyway until I need to pass someone else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Bigrob126
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe Auto

Quote:
If the middle lane is open to the point that I could just move to the middle lane, I won't be pissed at the guy who stays in the left.

I know the "customs/rules of the road" call for passing on the left, but the reality is that as long as the situation allows me to move forward, I don't mind being the one who has to change lanes. That's especially so if I'm overtaking a guy in the left lane because after I pass him, I'm most likely headed tot he middle or right lane anyway until I need to pass someone else.
Very true, but frustrates me just the same. I had this happen once, so I moved to the middle lane and passed an older man in a mercedes. As I could see him in my rear view, he was flipping me off!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very true, but frustrates me just the same.

I ...passed an older man in a mercedes..., he was flipping me off! [/quote]

He's old. You might have deserved it. (just messin' with ya.)

In defense of old people, due in no small measure to the fact that I hope to be one in 15 years, give 'em a break. They're old. My dad is 95 and still drives, and he drives slowly too, really slowly. When I go out with him and Mother, I drive, regardless of whose car it is we take. Once in a blue moon, Mother wants to go somewhere with Dad and me. When that happens I drive and Dad follows me and we both are going slowly in the right lane.

It's the one time I might be that irritating other driver. Particularly when it comes to approaching yellow lights and spots where there's a merging lane onto the road we are on. I stop for the yellow because I know Dad's not going through it. I don't move over because once Dad's following me, he stops paying attention to how to get to his destination. So if he can't see me right in front of him, he may not see me turn. (It's happened and you'd be surprised how far someone can get in the few seconds it takes for you to make a turn and in your rear view mirror see them go straight and then turn around and hustle to catch up with them.)

Once he's missed a turn, and lost sight of me, I have to then catch up to him, pull along side him and honk so he'll look and see it's me. Then I can get back in front of him and we can continue the trip. He's good with operating his car. He's good with seeing cars around him, but he sees cars, not a blue car, brown car, black car, grey car, etc. They are all just dark cars. Not late model, not old, just dark cars. He knows how to handle the traffic and his car given that there are cars around him.

If we are all going somewhere and he knows how to get there, he doesn't follow me. He drives at his pace, I drive at mine and meet him and Mother there.

As for Mother, I'm sure anyone who knows her today would describe her as a generous, regal, kind, sweet old lady. And to them that's exactly what she is. Around the house with just Dad and me, she's a different woman. There's something about a car, most likely the difficulty of getting out of one while it's moving, or once it's left the neighborhood, that she suddenly must say all the things she might have tried to say at home, but neither Dad nor I felt like listening to, so we just walked away from her and let her keep talking until she got tired of talking to herself. She's 88 and he's 95, so he has to list to her in the car. I don't don't have to and I won't. The last time I was in a car with Mother was 2003.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
They make it wayyy too easy to have a license in the US. Just drove 400 miles on the Pennsy turnpike yesterday and saw all of the mentioned stupidity. Most of it is general lack of awareness of what they are doing. Unlike other places in life, highways and roads invite everyone and because of their linear nature, driving gets by limited by the dumbest schmucks out there and, sadly, we have a LOT of stupid people out there.
      08-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Deadwrong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Prius drivers....
      08-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

It just irritates me when other drivers:
  • On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • Double park/stand and leave nobody behind the wheel.
  • An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.
Essentially, when someone gets in your way.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
People that feel the need to speed up as you're in the process of passing them, then ride your ass as if you were the one going slow.
this is definitely my number one pet peeve....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

I could probably go on for pages, but my top ones are:

-People who don't signal to change lanes. Particularly if it is as they cut me off.

-I pull up the a 4-way stop first, and another guy gets there a a second later, and runs the stop sign because I'm already stopped. Usually no real inconvenience, it's just the principle of it. But sometimes the crazy buss drivers in my city do this and make a turn so I'm stuck behind them - this really pisses me off.

-Someone tooling along in the fast lane at a slow pace, causing a huge traffic jam.

-Basically, as George Carlin said it, anyone who is going faster, or slower than me

Quote:
One of the coolest driving experiences I ever had was when we rented a car in the south of France. Some of the best road etiquette I've ever seen. People are vigilant about keeping out of the left lane, probably because there used to people coming up at 120. It was just a whole different level there, wonderful espresso & cheese at the rest stops, gas pumps that can fill a car in less than a minute. Very cool. Unfortunately I was driving a 60hp diesel.

Last edited by funkle; 08-20-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
2PInZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Black/Black

i think most things have been covered...but another one that really bothers me here in northern VA is when people become infants when approaching a toll booth. The signs are clearly marked from a good distance away...it's like, if you don't have money or aren't sure what to do, go to the full service lane! Don't slow down to 5mph in the EZPass lane as you mentally break down and try to figure the puzzle out...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
I could probably go on for pages, but my top ones are:

-People who don't signal to change lanes. Particularly if it is as they cut me off.
Funny to me, because I am a new BMW driver as of last November. And for years previous, I would have sworn that BMWs did not come equipped with turn signals, despite being an upscale car ;-)

My biggest complaint is people who make others pay for their mistake. They discover they need to make a turn and hold up traffic while they force their way into the turn lane. Or they don't realize (or care) that they are in a turn only lane, so they hold up everyone behind them who does want to turn while they wait for a chance to merge back into traffic.

If you made the mistake, take the responsibility. Make the turn you didn't want and then do a U. Don't hold up others who know what they are doing.

Yup! That's gonna happen ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Funny to me, because I am a new BMW driver as of last November. And for years previous, I would have sworn that BMWs did not come equipped with turn signals, despite being an upscale car ;-)

My biggest complaint is people who make others pay for their mistake. They discover they need to make a turn and hold up traffic while they force their way into the turn lane. Or they don't realize (or care) that they are in a turn only lane, so they hold up everyone behind them who does want to turn while they wait for a chance to merge back into traffic.

If you made the mistake, take the responsibility. Make the turn you didn't want and then do a U. Don't hold up others who know what they are doing.

Yup! That's gonna happen ;-)
+1

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I forget who said it, it could have been the late David E Davis, but they stated that their goal when driving was to not cause anyone else to have to unduly use their brakes. If everyone practiced that approach, we'd all be a lot happier behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwrong View Post
Prius drivers....
YES!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

too many to list them all but here are a few:

-the person that parks in the handicap spots, or at our store we have a motorcycle section and there is usually a car there taking up 2 or 3 of them.

-the person that enters the highway and automatically swerves over to the far left lane, cuts off anyone, and than goes 5-10 miles under the speed limit.

-the obvious phone talking, makeup applier, food eating bone head that likes to drive by braille.... and you finally get by them and they look at you like your the A hole.

-the gravel trucks that don't put the tarp over their load.

-and finally a new one that happen to me not to long ago. the person the that trails the wide load with the flashing lights. I get that they want to block the lane next to the truck but when it splits to 3 lanes and you ride the middle so you can make it so no one will pass.... come one man!!!
Appreciate 0