BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Looking to replace engine cover chrome nuts

Hey guys,

I did a search and found nothing so here's what I'm trying to find.

I'm not terribly fond of the 2 chrome nuts that are located towards the rear of the main intake cover. Not the air box, but the cover over the throttle intakes with the MV8 badge, also in chrome...

I'm not going to replace that, but if I could find a set of nice anodized aluminum nuts (gun metal gray or black) I would be happy.
Yeah, it's nickel and dime stuff, ain't gonna make the car go any faster, but I love doing detail things like this.

FWIW I'm not "pimping" my car out , just some very subtle stuff that many would likely not even notice. I've worked on vintage hot rod Porsches for years doing these types of OCD detail modifications with some very cool results, and compliments.

Any tips much appreciated.

AC
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Try McMaster-Carr.

www.mcmaster.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mcmaster does not have any metric aluminum acorn style nuts. I'd love to know if there is a European equivalent to McMaster. That would be your best bet. If not that then you'd probably have to have them custom machined and that would not be cheap, probably $100 at the very best. If you find or get them made from aluminum you could have them anodized at a local plating shop. Many plating shops "your" machine shop and you need a sample for your customer and pricing in quantities of 100 and 500. Not entirely honest but it is expedient...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Mcmaster does not have any metric aluminum acorn style nuts. I'd love to know if there is a European equivalent to McMaster. That would be your best bet. If not that then you'd probably have to have them custom machined and that would not be cheap, probably $100 at the very best. If you find or get them made from aluminum you could have them anodized at a local plating shop. Many plating shops "your" machine shop and you need a sample for your customer and pricing in quantities of 100 and 500. Not entirely honest but it is expedient...
I bet that if you contact Mcmaster directly they can get them from whoever make them... looks to me that they work like Newark does in the electrical/electronic business, as a supplier/middleman.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
I stopped by a shop that a long time buddy of mine owns.
He does high end performance work, race-car prep., etc.
He told me to drop one off and he will have a set CNC machined out of billet aluminum and then anodized. He does the latter in bulk so that part will be cheap. He estimated it will cost me about $75.00.

No rush, but I think I'll do it.
It's just one of those cool, stealth mods. that I enjoy.
He smiled when I mentioned it. He love stuff like this.

AC
Appreciate 0