BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #23
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
lol cupertino bike friendly... you mean nearly got run over when some chick didnt check for people in the biking lane and just merged in...
Cupertino is bike friendly, but stupidity isn't.
      03-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Congrats on getting the bike. I'd do the same since my commute it only 3 miles, but then my fiance always want a ride to work which would up the mileage considerably, plus I don't think she'd be down with the wind blown hair.

Have you ever taken a spinning class?? I say this because it will help you get in shape even more before you actually start riding the bike to work. You don't want that first day to be complete hell cuz then you might regret your purchase. Plus you can even use your nifty bike shoes on a spinning bike so you'll be use to using those as well. I'd highly suggest finding and taking a spinning class at least a handful of times before you go all out on your 7mile trek to work.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

saves money on gas + good exercise is always good.
      03-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
When summer comes, aren't you going to be sweating by the time you get to work?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #27
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Congrats on getting the bike. I'd do the same since my commute it only 3 miles, but then my fiance always want a ride to work which would up the mileage considerably, plus I don't think she'd be down with the wind blown hair.

Have you ever taken a spinning class?? I say this because it will help you get in shape even more before you actually start riding the bike to work. You don't want that first day to be complete hell cuz then you might regret your purchase. Plus you can even use your nifty bike shoes on a spinning bike so you'll be use to using those as well. I'd highly suggest finding and taking a spinning class at least a handful of times before you go all out on your 7mile trek to work.
Thanks!!

Thanks for the advice... I actually have a stationary bike at home that I've been using all winter. Lately I ride for an hour, hour and a half at time. The difference I guess is that the route to work has more hills, grades, etc, but I think I should be okay. Maybe I'll try it one day on the weekend first..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
saves money on gas + good exercise is always good.
That's the idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
When summer comes, aren't you going to be sweating by the time you get to work?
Yep. We have a shower at work that I can use though. The days I drive in I'll load up my desk with clothes, food, so that I can bike in whenever.

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #28
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Yep. We have a shower at work that I can use though. The days I drive in I'll load up my desk with clothes, food, so that I can bike in whenever.
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgod View Post
Nice new 08 ride!! If you are looking for a cycling computer. Take a look at the Trek Incite 9i for a good basic cpu. You can get it either wired version meaning, there is a cable that runs down the fork for the pickup of the sensor on the wheel or go wireless.
Also don't forget a tail light and head light if you are riding before dawn or after dusk. Also a tail light will help during day time if you get a bright one.

Have fun and ride safe!

Took your advice.. Just went for a spin during lunch and picked up the Incite 9i. Has exactly what I was looking for, distance, speed, odometer, max speed, avg speed, temp. Will install it tonight. Thanks..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #30
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Cupertino is bike friendly, but stupidity isn't.
wordd!

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #31
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks!!

Thanks for the advice... I actually have a stationary bike at home that I've been using all winter. Lately I ride for an hour, hour and a half at time. The difference I guess is that the route to work has more hills, grades, etc, but I think I should be okay. Maybe I'll try it one day on the weekend first...
I'd still suggest a spinning class. Those instructors can be pretty brutal. Plus those spinning bikes are insane. The front wheel weighs 50lbs. and takes a lot of leg control to keep up the momentum and then there is this dial that simulates hills so it's harder to pedal.

I'm tellin you, it's more of a workout you'll prolly ever put yourself through on your own little home bike. I thought spinning classes were a joke till I took one, could barely walk for 2-3 days.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Took your advice.. Just went for a spin during lunch and picked up the Incite 9i. Has exactly what I was looking for, distance, speed, odometer, max speed, avg speed, temp. Will install it tonight. Thanks..
Glad to hear it Josh!! It is extremely simple to set it up. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
FYI bike shop owner myself.

Cheers

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #33
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Man, I used to be so into biking until I was about 18 and got my full unrestricted license. I sure as hell don't look it though. I'm a bigger guy and I went on 60km bike rides sometimes. Once I was fully licensed, we always had cars around (dad was forced to retire a cab because it was 7 model years old, still ran good enough for me to drive), After that I got into cars and never really looked back. Still have my old bike hanging in the garage. I should really take it down and go for a spin in the spring, just for nostaliga's sake (commute is 30km one way).
      03-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #34
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgod View Post
Glad to hear it Josh!! It is extremely simple to set it up. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
FYI bike shop owner myself.

Cheers
Thanks for the offer!! I will definitely be pm'ing you for info along the way.. Hope I don't ask too many questions..

I got the 9i setup and running tonight, I will post a pic or two tomorrow.. Very simple, looks great on the bike, and has all the useful info I was looking for. The magnet that came with the wireless one doesn't seem too rigid though. It is a plastic clip with the magnet inside. I have been debating whether to put a drop of epoxy where the clip meets the spoke so it doesn't come off it I hit a bump or something in the road... Other than that everything seems great.

Can't wait to get out there.. Thanks for the guidance!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #35
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Commuted in for the first time today. It's up and down the whole way. There are some really long grades that took a lot of juice to get up. A lot of up the last 1.5 miles too. Should make for a smoother ride home being more downhill. Top speed was 29.1, average speed was 14.1. Took about 30 minutes. Went faster than I thought it would to be honest..

Made it the whole way without stopping once, so I was happy with that.

One more note - My hands were fvcking cold. The burning is just starting to go away, and I've been at work for 20 minutes now. I need to get gloves or something next time I'm down near the shop. Hopefully it will be a lot warmer on the way home..

EDIT: Right now it's 36 feels like 30 and sunny. Should be about 46 on the way home..

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #36
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Commuted in for the first time today. It's up and down the whole way. There are some really long grades that took a lot of juice to get up. A lot of up the last 1.5 miles too. Should make for a smoother ride home being more downhill. Top speed was 29.1, average speed was 14.1. Took about 30 minutes. Went faster than I thought it would to be honest..

One more note - My hands were fvcking cold. The burning is just starting to go away, and I've been at work for 20 minutes now. I need to get gloves or something next time I'm down near the shop. Hopefully it will be a lot warmer on the way home..

EDIT: Right now it's 36 feels like 30 and sunny. Should be about 46 on the way home..
You crazy. Sounds good though. Gloves are a must in 36 degree weather for sure.

So how are you going to deal with the summer months and showing up all hot and sweaty??

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #37
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
You crazy. Sounds good though. Gloves are a must in 36 degree weather for sure.

So how are you going to deal with the summer months and showing up all hot and sweaty??
Yeah, it was freezing.. Right into the wind most the time too. I really wanted to take the bike for a spin though!! I bought it Sunday and have been anxious to ride it since..

We actually have a shower at work. So I will keep a towel, shampoo, etc here along with changes of clothes, food, so I can just bike in and not have to worry about any of that. I bought a pouch for under the seat on the bike that I can fit my keys, cell phone and wallet in..

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #38
Bomb617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 535i M-Sport

How much is your bike?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #39
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

That is good to hear the ride went well!!! The magnet seems like it will not stay, but I have had zero issues with them.

Gloves are going to help a lot with keeping the fingers warmer and add a bit of comfort.

My wife road into the shop today, and I am planning on riding to the shop in a week. I have to let it warm up a bit first.

Glad to hear you are having fun! Keep us posted.

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #40
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, it was freezing.. Right into the wind most the time too. I really wanted to take the bike for a spin though!! I bought it Sunday and have been anxious to ride it since..

We actually have a shower at work. So I will keep a towel, shampoo, etc here along with changes of clothes, food, so I can just bike in and not have to worry about any of that. I bought a pouch for under the seat on the bike that I can fit my keys, cell phone and wallet in..
i sweat like ass if i try to bike fast...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #41
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:

You're crazy for riding in the cold
29 mph for top speed is fast (downhill?)
      07-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #42
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Well, definitely making progress on the bike. Reset the computer today to take some info. Max I hit was 31 mph, average was 15.0 mph. These hills on the way to work are brutal. Sunday I rode 30 miles on flat ground, and could have easily gone further, yet after these 7 miles to work I'm pretty spent.. Definitely feel like I'm improving though. I'm standing now to climb all of the hills, and staying in much harder gears than I used to.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #43
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Good idea. Sounds like you will save alot in G money. My bro actaully rides his bike to work because his Cherokee gets like 10 MPG. My commute is 8 miles. I have considered this, but have decided I will just bike for fun and exercise. I have a Specialized "HardRock" from about 7 years ago. Thing is still good as new, and is really fun to ride.

OP where are you commuting to/from?

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #44
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
did someone recommend OP should drop his new ride and roll it on spinners?
Appreciate 0