BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

BPM

01-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
PM limit???

Alright, so yesterday or the day before I had 217 messages in my PM box. It was like 97% full. Then today, I see that it is over 100% full.

It seems to have gone from a limit of 250 to a limit of 200? Is this for everyone? Why did this happen? Is there a way to make this limit larger?

A Lot of people have been on this site for years and have a lot of old messages with info from people or vendors that they want to keep. At this point I almost have 200 messages that I want to actually keep in there.

Am I alone?

D
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
PM boxes are being really abused and people just dont take the time or effort to clean out their boxes which ends up slowing the server down for everyone.

The best and quickest way to open up space in your PM box is to delete all the messages from your 'Sent Items' folder.

If people take the time and effort to keep their PM boxes clean, then we can bring the PM size limit back up again.

Again, we reduced the size of the PM box in order to keep the site speedy and responsive for everyone. So take the 5 minutes (really less than that) and keep your PM boxes clean
      01-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
You should introduce something I have seen on many other forums. A PRO account. I would pay $10 to have more space, lets say 500 or whatever. I am very good at cleaning my box out other than messages I want to keep. Even in my sent items I have things I sent people that I want to keep for reference. Whether it is because I was confirming payment sent, or sending a link to something specific to a person on the forum.

Anyway, I am all about keeping the server fast and usable, but changing the limit without notifying people kinda sucks, what about all the vendors waiting for PM's about products and it takes them a day to realize their box was full. Im pretty sure all the vendors would pay more for a "pro" account so they dont have this issue.

Why punish everyone for the ones that cant manage their own accounts!

D
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
You should introduce something I have seen on many other forums. A PRO account. I would pay $10 to have more space, lets say 500 or whatever. I am very good at cleaning my box out other than messages I want to keep. Even in my sent items I have things I sent people that I want to keep for reference. Whether it is because I was confirming payment sent, or sending a link to something specific to a person on the forum.

Anyway, I am all about keeping the server fast and usable, but changing the limit without notifying people kinda sucks, what about all the vendors waiting for PM's about products and it takes them a day to realize their box was full. Im pretty sure all the vendors would pay more for a "pro" account so they dont have this issue.

Why punish everyone for the ones that cant manage their own accounts!

D
I agree .. I'd be happy to donate for a larger PM box. I'm at the point where I am deleting PM's that I really want to keep. PM's with helpful information from members here as well as details of sales.
________
buy vaporgenie

Last edited by stimpy; 02-04-2011 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I agree .. I'd be happy to donate for a larger PM box. I'm at the point where I am deleting PM's that I really want to keep. PM's with helpful information from members here as well as details of sales.
This. I have about 45 PM's back and forth detailing sales transactions with vendors on here alone...I'd like to keep those. Anyway there could be a "member" addition?
      01-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
This was a pretty annoying change. I had no idea my box was full until a vendor posted that they couldn't send me a PM. At this point I've done so much buisness with vendors on this site that I have way more than 200 PM's I'd like to keep. I've exported them as text before I delete them, but it's a lot easier to fine a PM on this as opposed to a text file.

This is especially annoying for those of us that came from the original 1addicts. If I remember correctly we had a limit of 400 on that site and then after the merge it was dropped to 250 and now dropped again to 200.

Anyway, I'll work around it, but I felt the need to vent my frustration.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
335i_LeMans_pkgmax
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 09 - 335i Xdrive Sdn

You guys can archive your PM's... pretty simple to do