BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

05-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
nickm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M

From a C6 Z06 to an E92 M3

Anyone on here or know of anyone that did this transition. I have a Z that i love to death, but i always had a passion for M's growing up. I love the sound of these V8's, like the idea of the backseats and most of all the DCT. I live 10 Min outside of Manhattan and even though this wont be my everyday car, i love the super fast shifting. Another thing...Supercharging it. Its would be a must because going from a Supercar to an M will make me a bit sad...power wise. Relialibty of the DCT with the Added Power? Rod Bearings? etc. Buddy of mine had an E92...did a Full exhaust, gears, Ran into some issues and the dealer just gave him a hard time...ever since then he bashes the crap out of BMW....I work on all of my cars so doing the work wouldnt be an issue, would getting an extended warranty be to my benefit? any feedback would be great. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

A Z06 and ZR1 was on my list when I was in the market for a performance sport car. My decision to go with the E92 was more practical that is very well balanced in virtually all aspect. As for modding, what is the point of dropping X amount of money that voids BMW's warranty. All that money can be used to buy a super performance car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ
A Z06 and ZR1 was on my list when I was in the market for a performance sport car. My decision to go with the E92 was more practical that is very well balanced in virtually all aspect. As for modding, what is the point of dropping X amount of money that voids BMW's warranty. All that money can be used to buy a super performance car.
A blower is only 8-12k, I don't think that will make the difference between buying an M3 or a super "performance" car, unless you're talking about a GT-R which has nothing in commen with an M3 or a Z06 which he already had! As for warranty, who needs that, the E9x is an ultra reliable platform!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

DCT is incredibly reliable. Tons of flawless running blown M3s without issue. Just call ESS and ask them all the questions you have. Extended warranty with blower? Don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I went from this to a M3...I felt comfortable modifying the hell out of the LS3 C6. The M3 S65 engine...not so much. I read the whole bearing thread and got spooked... not to mention the cost of modifications are much higher with the M3, parts more expensive..... I did allot of the work myself too, and what sucks is you cannot buy a service/tech manual on the M3, so get into a jam and there is no reference...sucks.

I wouldn't supercharge it....having said that I remember allot of people complaining about the Z06s reliability too. So??? You will definitely miss the Z06...I miss working on it, the simplicity of it, the cost of it, the rawness of it ...shifting the gears. So, do I miss my car, yea...not working on this one and not having a manual...kinda boring..... Just seeing the picture that I posted makes me want to sell my M3...

The M3 is the total package...but for raw speed, performance, modifications, cost, and ease of working on it...I vote Vette...

M3 is the supermodel, Vette is the hot chick you meet at a bar....both have their advantages...

Last edited by M3-S65; 05-08-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

so getting axle back exhaust, springs will give the dealer the opportunity to deny a warranty claim? what if it's an outside warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
nickm3
Private
Rep

Thanks guys for the feedback, great group here in this forum, all valid point you are all bringing up.
Practicality is my concern, but yea I know I would miss the absurd amount of power from my Z.
Would love to know what the hell the power feels like in an M, DCT with a blower. I'm in Westchester county NY. Haven't seen anyone in the forums that's near me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
nickm3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
I went from this to a M3...I felt comfortable modifying the hell out of the LS3 C6. The M3 S65 engine...not so much. I read the whole bearing thread and got spooked... not to mention the cost of modifications are much higher with the M3, parts more expensive..... I did allot of the work myself too, and what sucks is you cannot buy a service/tech manual on the M3, so get into a jam and there is no reference...sucks.

I wouldn't supercharge it....having said that I remember allot of people complaining about the Z06s reliability too. So??? You will definitely miss the Z06...I miss working on it, the simplicity of it, the cost of it, the rawness of it ...shifting the gears. So, do I miss my car, yea...not working on this one and not having a manual...kinda boring..... Just seeing the picture that I posted makes me want to sell my M3...

The M3 is the total package...but for raw speed, performance, modifications, cost, and ease of working on it...I vote Vette...

M3 is the supermodel, Vette is the hot chick you meet at a bar....both have their advantages...

Good looking Z you had there. What does your M look like? Mods? Post some pics
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC6Z06 View Post
Would love to know what the hell the power feels like in an M, DCT with a blower. .
probably no better than your stock Z06. Most kits for the M3 give you just over 600 hp, which isn't that much more than a stock Z06. The M3 is also a fat pig, so that extra power has to move a much greater mass. You're talking 500-700 lb weight difference. I also noticed you don't talk about handling. Do you track? If so you'll find the M3 a huge downgrade from a Z06 on the track. Even with full bolt on mods the M3 is still no match for the pace of even a stock Z06. You're basically going from a supercar to a grand tourer.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65

[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...psc19e32a3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...psc919e544.jpg[/IMG]
I'm not sure what kind of work you'd like to be able to do on your M3, but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to install a supercharger kit yourself, it's pretty straight foward! As for the other worthy mods, there's only the exhaust, after that, only need regular oil change and occasionnal spark plugs replacement, all easy things to do! So I say get yourself a blower, you wont miss your Vette anymore!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of work you'd like to be able to do on your M3, but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to install a supercharger kit yourself, it's pretty straight foward! As for the other worthy mods, there's only the exhaust, after that, only need regular oil change and occasionnal spark plugs replacement, all easy things to do! So I say get yourself a blower, you wont miss your Vette anymore!
The M3 is much more difficult to work on than a Corvette. The engine bay is tight and cramped. And Germans like to make everything unduly complicated. Have you tried to replace a throttle actuator, starter, or MAP sensor on your M3 yet?

And power is only one component of a car. a supercharger won't make an M3 feel any less bloated compared to a vette.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
The M3 is much more difficult to work on than a Corvette. The engine bay is tight and cramped. And Germans like to make everything unduly complicated. Have you tried to replace a throttle actuator, starter, or MAP sensor on your M3 yet?

And power is only one component of a car. a supercharger won't make an M3 feel any less bloated compared to a vette.
No, I have'nt tryed replacing anything broken on my car because it's been bulletproof reliable for the last 3years/40000miles! That's how I like my cars!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Agreed...and expensive..If you think the Vettes mods were expensive welcome to a new world...
Axel backs run you 2k + , front splitters and diffusers 1K....and those are cosmetics...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
WinterSoldier
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

Driving experience means a lot to me. After years at driving schools with Porsche and Corvette, the M3 was just right for me. You won't have the "fastest guy" potential in an M3, but it's damn close and such a fine, fine machine. Depends on what you want to feed your need for thrills. I love the driving experience. The Porsche is raw, loved that thing, the vette was clumsy and the M3 is heavy but divine. My $.02.

Forza Michael!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

I had both at the same time. Both very different rides but both gratifying. The Z06 was an animal to put it lightly, but can be very docile when just cruising. I used to love getting 28mpg in that thing doing 75mph on the highway. People couldnt believe that a 500hp car can do that. The power was intoxicating, explosive and fun as hell to drive. The M3 was smoother, more tossable. I loved the way it sounded too. Not as raw and loud as the Z06, but still a very sweet sounding V8. I was very surprised and satisfied. My M3 had the DCT. Very fast shifting and can be driven in auto pretty smoothly. I liked the way you can program the suspension with EDC and the speed of the DCT. The M3 would push a little too much if you hustled thru a corner too fast, where as the Z06 becomes more buttoned down the faster you drive it. I would take the Z06 when I wanted to drive a lone or wanted to de-stress myself. It always put me in a good mood and always made me smile. I would take the M3 when I wanted to cruise and when I went somewhere I didnt want to leave my Z06. I loved the differences between the 2. I sold my Z06 2 summers ago after 5 yrs of ownership for a new SVT Raptor. I wanted a truck. And I had the M3 for 2 yrs and returned it after the lease was up. I will be keeping my Raptor because I love it and I fish a lot and need the space and will eventually get a boat to tow. I will also be looking to get another car in the near future and will most likely get another E9X M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
@ OP: Both are models that appeal to me, but the E92M3 appealed more which explains my choice between the two. Having said that, a C6 ZO6 is a model that I find myself thinking about more often of late. Perhaps one will end up joining the M3 for other duties.
      05-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Antonio1988
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3

This was my exact move... went from an 08 Z06 (h/c/i and all bolt ons; 545rwhp) to a 335is (only two months) to the M3. Been in it for a year and a half now and I have to say that even though it is not as fast or draws as much attention, the M3 is, by a large measure, the greatest car I have ever owned. It just does everything well... with the Z06 there are a lot of compromises to be made, none needed in the M3. Make the move, you will not regret it as long as you yearn for more than blistering illegal and mostly unattainable speeds from the Z06. As for the modding, I can only speak of my experience. My M3 is full bolt on right now and it is, IMO, perfect right now and I am not hassled at my dealer for it. A blower would be nice, but like on the Z06, no mods are really necessary other than the cosmetics and an exhaust.

2012 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Agreed...and expensive..If you think the Vettes mods were expensive welcome to a new world...
Axel backs run you 2k + , front splitters and diffusers 1K....and those are cosmetics...
I don't think the prices of mods are that bad unless you go with the fancy stuffs. You can always get a Corsa exhaust for ~1500$ which will give you one of the nicest sound, and a set of test pipes for 400$, that's all you need, and a blower!

Yeah it's true, you need a supercharger to make good power with the S65, but I think it's a good deal, +200hp for ~$10k of mods, on a special engine like the S65, seems fair! And as far as I know, those kits have been very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
Jamesomania
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2014 BMW S1000RR  [0.00]
2007 BMW F800s  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post

good one

just went for a cruise, first i saw a C6, man the exhaust sound was so nice, followed him for a while then saw a C7, followed him for a while too.. Vette is a sexy beast.. i would own one if i didn't live in Canada.. such beasts!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #20
nickm3
Private
Rep

Nice to hear that some guys made the transition, appreciate the info from everyone and the advice.
I have hit track days with my Z, Limerock twice and Monticello. Yes, the Z hands down is an animal and the perfect track monster..best bang for the buck when looking for a track/street car. The M is a phenomenal street/track platform. My thing is the technology of the dual clutch. Crap if I had bank I'd be lookin to a GTR hands down. This is a toss up for me..funny thing. Last weekend I was in my Subaru impreza that I lease "everyday car" I seen a black Z, ZR1 wheels, lip, sides, exhaust.. I fell I love all over...I was like wow..what am I doing? I have that in my garage hahaha!!
But this video has me going!!! Love these black M's and how they are setup...it's pure sex!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

z06 seems like a tempting proposition....but every time i look at them closely i cant get over the cheapness of the interior and to be honest i still think it has an old man / country stigma going on.

Id rather save for a german or italian 2 seater when the time is right. M3 just meets all my needs right now... if i really want it faster I think the ESS kit is a fairly safe way to go.
      05-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
I have a modded c6 that I track, not quite as quick as a stock Z06, but I can keep up with 90% of the z06 guys in my run groups. I hate driving my vette on the street, it's not comfortable and it feels cheap, on the track the car's fine, but it doesn't instill confidence the way the M3 does, the car gets unpredictable when it's at the edge whereas I always feel like I can tell what the M3 is going to do.
Appreciate 0