BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

03-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #1277
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Doesn't a buy it now price around $67,000 mean the price wouldn't have gone above that? I've never bought anything off Ebay - isn't that how it works?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #1278
DCLeopard91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M3 - Mystic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by prrbill View Post
Ken,

When Fil rejected your credit card, he broke the legal agreement that both lawyers had reached. You have also now incurred personal expenses far beyond normal not to mention whatever legal fees you will be charged. I'll assume you didn't get a free trip from California to Nebraska and that you're not independently wealthy so why should you pay? I think it's time for the next step on your part.

I would now also have a very difficult time accepting that specific car from them. How will you know that the car is still in a "new" state?

Best of luck,
Bill

Bill makes a very good point here. Even when you DO finally get the car, I would have it inspected by another BMW Dealership VERY carefully.

I am currently a member on M3Forum.net but joined here just to post in your thread and offer my support. Best of luck and I can't WAIT for more updates!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #1279
Michael Maledon
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan

I represent Husker Auto Group. Much of the information that has been publicized and reported on to date is wholly without merit.

Husker Auto Group erred in its eBay listing by not setting an appropriate reserve on the vehicle. General manager Fil Catania was contacted by Ken Tanisaka late last Friday informing him of the auction results. Mr. Catania asked Mr. Tanisaka to have the weekend to gather the facts and promised to get back to Mr. Tanisaka the following Monday. (Recall this was Easter weekend. Mr. Catania contacted me over the weekend, but I was not able to return his call until Monday morning.) On Monday, Mr. Catania called Mr. Tanisaka and explained that although the dealership’s eBay listing was in error, the dealership would nevertheless consummate the transaction at the price bid by Mr. Tanisaka.

Between Monday and today, Mr. Catania has repeatedly attempted to work cooperatively with Mr. Tanisaka to consummate the transaction. Husker has agreed to allow Mr. Tanisaka additional time to secure financing, and has only requested the minimum deposit of $1,000. (A clearly stated condition of the auction was that the buyer must deposit $1000 to $5,000, which must be received by Husker within 24 hours.)

It is true that Husker asked Mr. Tanisaka to post a comment on this site that would set the record straight. While it may or may not have been Mr. Tanisaka’s intent, the dealership and its employees have been unfairly subject to slander, threats, intimidation, malicious tampering of personal property, harassment etc. Although Mr. Tanisaka refused to correct the misinformation that has been widely circulating, Husker Auto Group nevertheless confirmed to Mr. Tanisaka its willingness to consummate the transaction at the price he bid.

Mr. Tanisaka has still not completed the necessary paperwork to purchase the vehicle. In fact, he has indicated his refusal to speak with anyone at the dealership.

Based on the gamesmanship being played by Mr. Tanisaka, it has become increasingly apparent that Mr. Tanisaka is more out for the publicity than to buy a BMW.

Of course, Husker will continue to do everything reasonably possible to satisfy Mr. Tanisaka if he truly intends to purchase this vehicle.

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #1280
bmw-m6
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-Net-Automotive View Post
Anywhere in the world, when somebody provides you with a product and a service they are entitled a profit. This is how they stay in business, pay the mortgage and feed the kids!

Look at the Jewelry industry for example, these guys have a 100-200% markup, consumers don't haggle the jeweler! at the jewelry store, it is what it is !

In the car business on the other hand, haggling seems to be the birthright of every consumer out there. Customers want to beat you up, want to steal the car, and they will flat out tell you they don't want you to make a profit off of them! That is not fair!

Consumers enjoy this game, and thrive when they feel they are getting a good deal and giving it to the dealer! Consumers made dealers what they are, they have no respect for car salesmen and they are vocal about it. No wonder thousands of people are responding to this blog.

A car is a depreciating asset, a house isn't. A realtor is respected a car salesman isn't. Interesting!

The dealer in this case does not want to lose money, I think the dealer should have his own blog and state his side of the story!

Anthony Rush.
i disagree here. there are alot of things you can negotiate for...and cars and jewelry are some. the jeweler isn't gonna cut a little deal when there's ppl around, but you negotiate 1-on-1, no gang-ups or "turning" (which is an illegal tactic in some places). towards the end of closing up for the day, and you're the only prospective buyer who wants a little bit of a discount of some "bling", the jeweler would be stupid not to make the sale. well, its either, make a little profit or none at all. how you gonna feed the kids on that ? (even thats no excuse to cave in once you're on the brink of a deal, they just want you to up-bid yourself). what are they gonna tell their "starving family" ? "Sorry no food tonight, but you shoulda seen me stone-wall this guy who was asking for a discount !".

if a jeweler made a "mistake" of selling a diamond as a cubic zirconia, got a sale, and realized after the fact, and was caught trying to weasel out, man up for this ONE INCIDENT, and move on.

ppl don't give car salesmen respect ? well, does the car salesmen really recipricate genuinely ? You shoulda heard how they wanted to chat me up with their BS (as if they really cared what i was majoring in college, i told them business law) !!!

ppl don't haggle the jeweler b/c there's a misconception that they can't. if you can't make a deal, so what ? Spend your hard earned dollar with someone who treated you well. There's nothing wrong with profit, but you shouldn't milk the customer for every last penny. i've given STELLAR satisfaction surveys saying how "Mr/Mrs gave up a little profit, but was willing to work with me".

sure, they need to profit to stay in business, but not cutting your losses (on depreciating cars) won't sustain you either.

in this case, the dealer didn't want to lose money, but F'd up on their own, and they should take responsibility, and move on. they want to continue to drag their name in the mud, all while stalling. i'm sure there's a timetable to escalate the legal ladder, but they're hoping to stretch it out.

when consumers are vocal, what do you think sales guys are saying after victimizing a new sale ? Sure, the new buyer is gonna have to shell out a little more to line their pockets, and make it hard to feed their family, but as long as the saleperson got theirs ? Thats not right either.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #1281
DCLeopard91
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Doesn't a buy it now price around $67,000 mean the price wouldn't have gone above that? I've never bought anything off Ebay - isn't that how it works?
not really...read eBay rules. it just means you can instantly purchase it at that price while the auction is still going IF it hasn't reached that price yet. If it has, the Buy It Now disappears since the seller will obviously only want to sell at the higher price.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #1282
SecretAgentWomoan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona -Hot Mom Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maledon View Post
I represent Husker Auto Group. Much of the information that has been publicized and reported on to date is wholly without merit.

Husker Auto Group erred in its eBay listing by not setting an appropriate reserve on the vehicle. General manager Fil Catania was contacted by Ken Tanisaka late last Friday informing him of the auction results. Mr. Catania asked Mr. Tanisaka to have the weekend to gather the facts and promised to get back to Mr. Tanisaka the following Monday. (Recall this was Easter weekend. Mr. Catania contacted me over the weekend, but I was not able to return his call until Monday morning.) On Monday, Mr. Catania called Mr. Tanisaka and explained that although the dealership’s eBay listing was in error, the dealership would nevertheless consummate the transaction at the price bid by Mr. Tanisaka.

Between Monday and today, Mr. Catania has repeatedly attempted to work cooperatively with Mr. Tanisaka to consummate the transaction. Husker has agreed to allow Mr. Tanisaka additional time to secure financing, and has only requested the minimum deposit of $1,000. (A clearly stated condition of the auction was that the buyer must deposit $1000 to $5,000, which must be received by Husker within 24 hours.)

It is true that Husker asked Mr. Tanisaka to post a comment on this site that would set the record straight. While it may or may not have been Mr. Tanisaka’s intent, the dealership and its employees have been unfairly subject to slander, threats, intimidation, malicious tampering of personal property, harassment etc. Although Mr. Tanisaka refused to correct the misinformation that has been widely circulating, Husker Auto Group nevertheless confirmed to Mr. Tanisaka its willingness to consummate the transaction at the price he bid.

Mr. Tanisaka has still not completed the necessary paperwork to purchase the vehicle. In fact, he has indicated his refusal to speak with anyone at the dealership.

Based on the gamesmanship being played by Mr. Tanisaka, it has become increasingly apparent that Mr. Tanisaka is more out for the publicity than to buy a BMW.

Of course, Husker will continue to do everything reasonably possible to satisfy Mr. Tanisaka if he truly intends to purchase this vehicle.

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
So...to be clear....NO ONE called Ken 15 mins post auction to tell him they weren't going to honor the auction?

NO ONE told him nothing could be done until Monday?

The GM DID NOT refuse to take his credit card info for the deposit?

Ken LIED about securing financing prior to the end of auction?

I just wondered ... you know....because you didn't address any of this. Your post is a bunch of hot air.

What I am getting here, is he says you guys were stonewalling, and you claim he is...and accusing him of not giving a deposit within 24 hours of auction end when you were clearly telling him on Friday that you weren't sure you were going to sell in them the car, and then we you finally say you will, refusing the deposit...well, you guys are lying jerks, period.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #1283
DCLeopard91
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
Ah, yes, I assume
"Between Monday and today, Mr. Catania has repeatedly attempted to work cooperatively with Mr. Tanisaka to consummate the transaction."
includes his refusal to accept Mr. Tanisaka's credit card deposit within the 24 hour deadline set forth thus rejecting said deal?

BTW, "Only requested the minimum" is not helping you make them look any better. If they stated clearly that the deposit is $1000 to $5000, then a $1000 is perfectly acceptable by law and they cannot require more. They're not being accommodating, just doing what they're forced to do

A little too late for them to save face now...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #1284
Nimrod
Registered
Rep
Drives: 89 Ford Mustang 25th ann.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
As many others have said, car dealerships, like any other business, are entitled to make a profit, but the way in which they make their profit is so inherently dishonest that it is truly offensive (yes, this is coming from a lawyer--no flames, please).
IMO:

But you’re honest about it. Fact is, more and more people are getting tired of the lies and dishonesty. And if explained most understand it’s about money. If you make your buck honestly even if it is over priced of the actual worth of the item. They will agree.
As it’s a demand not as much as it is what the item maybe worth.

I’m all for pushing this past a simple giving up the car. But hit them in the pocket book, for attempting to hardball like this. It really says something about there character and integrity of these men.
It truly amazings me on how little our word is really worth anymore today. It used to be if you entered in a verbal agreement it was legal. Now it’s a joke.

Anyways GL, Dooma!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #1285
zxcasd
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerfar23 View Post
I agree do not call them directly it won't have any substantial affect but call someone who can expose these sleazy bastards in pubic domain like newspaper or any media outlet. Hell call the mayor's or city council's office in Lincoln to get some attention. That will teach them a nice and very expensive lesson.

Better Business Bureau
www.bbb.org

3633 O St # 1
Lincoln, NE 68510
(402) 436-2345

Lincoln Mayor's Office
www.lincoln.ne.gov

555 S 10th St # 208
Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 441-7511
i've been reading this thread since page 1, but heres what i've seen :

the BBB IS USELESS.... its a business organization.... not an office of law...... it takes money from its members, all it can do is put a review of the business.... though i dont think everyone buying a car would search BBB for the reputation of that business

the mayor's office, well, u think he's going to put his feet into this mess? not really his problem

the only way to get stuff like this out is via your local news channel's "investigation" team(not working here b/c of business relations), or sites like consumerist.com (done here)........since everything is done, all thats needed is for the other party to act...

lets see how this plays out, i'm on spring break right now...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #1286
naugahyde
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330

Hey there mike, didn't the auction state NO RESERVE?

just when I think it's going to die down for awhile... thanks for the entertainment at least

/sad that I'll soon be paying a couple of those guys with my tax money (via unemployment)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #1287
DCLeopard91
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
IMO:

But you’re honest about it. Fact is, more and more people are getting tired of the lies and dishonesty. And if explained most understand it’s about money. If you make your buck honestly even if it is over priced of the actual worth of the item. They will agree.
As it’s a demand not as much as it is what the item maybe worth.

I’m all for pushing this past a simple giving up the car. But hit them in the pocket book, for attempting to hardball like this. It really says something about there character and integrity of these men.
It truly amazings me on how little our word is really worth anymore today. It used to be if you entered in a verbal agreement it was legal. Now it’s a joke.

Anyways GL, Dooma!

Ahhhhh, yes, the good old days of "any agreement, express or implied". I am a fan of upholding that! Too bad that as you stated, it's worthless these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #1288
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-Net-Automotive View Post
Rainsux,

1-For a business to be viable it needs to make a profit. Yes, some businesses lose money, yes they sell loss leaders, but this is the exception to the rule.

2- I don't know what you mean by Teenage Troll, if you have a problem with me being on this blog, call me and we'll figure it out!

3- 300% markup, my point exactly. Dealers have a 5-10% markup on new cars. I don't think many jewelry customers haggle, maybe a fraction but certainly not the majority. 90% of car shoppers haggle!

My point here is simple, let's stop looking at car dealers as these big bad liars and try to resolve the issues at hand with some understanding and compassion.

Anthony Rush.
there isn't anything wrong with haggling ! when i was car shopping before i bought a car last xmas, they always asked me how much i wanted to buy this $ 55k car for.....if i named a price they already had me. if i said $53, they'd say, $54, so it seems a fair compromise (if they got $50 invoice, they made $4k profit, instead of $5, but profit is profit). they'll try to nickel/dime ya back. basically, you'll be negotiating down, but they'll be negotiating up...so its not just the consumer being the bad one trying to fleece the salesperson. they ask how much i was willing to spend (looking for my max, so they'll try to reach it as close as possible), i countered with, "well, whats the lowest you'll sell it for".

they have a big window of profit margin. you don't always get the high end, but you gotta be smart enough to settle for something in the middle...and that is how you stay in business. you've got a $10k car depreciating thats agiven, and some fella says he'll buy at $9k, what are you gonna do ...cut your losses, or wait until next year when the value is at $8k and dropping, or maybe longer until the value is $0.

general sale's ppl have a saying : we're NOT gonna lie to ya, but we aint gonna tell you the whole truth though.

you aint gonna stay in business at all if all you settle for is the high part of the profit margin, but you will if you sell more volume at say, mid/lower profit margin....again, profit is profit.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #1289
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

Mr. lawyer man

First of all, mistake or no mistake the dealership is legally contracted to sell the car at the ebay winning price of ~60K okay.

also, you are saying Mr. Tanisaka hasn't completed the paper work on time even though Phil (aka douchebag) was the who asked for more time intially and has delayed the purchase process all long see your own quote below..

Quote:
later..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #1290
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubbles there buddy, but bmw's don’t have 10 grand worth of mark up on them from invoice to msrp. I’m pretty sure that selling him that m3 for 60k probably either breaks them even (depending on invoice price and whether bmw is giving any factory kick backs on the car) or their losing money. There’s a reason dealers have to sell a high volume of vehicles in order to make profit because there’s usually only a small amount of profit on every car sold. Don't forget you got to offset the money you lose sometimes on cars (ad cars, etc. etc.) I work for a car dealership and I have people tell me all the time that we have 10 grand worth of mark up on our cars... I usually laugh at them because if we did have that much mark up then we would only need to sell 20 cars a month as a dealership to make a large margin of profit Trust me its not like that though, if you don't believe me, join any auto group and see for yourself.

As far as Dooma's situation, the dealer needs to accept the fact that they Fu**ed up and sell him the car for 60,000. Every dealer makes mistakes and they all need to accept the consequences of their mistakes.

Good luck Dooma

they should settle and give extras. so 1 single deal went sour...the dealership and BMW would **NOT** have gone bankrupt the next day !!! AND THEY STILL WON"T !!! (not sure about the dealership though). every day situation isn't settled, is another day lost to move on and recuperate.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #1291
mooseman
Rep
Drives: 318ti

Interesting developments.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #1292
BritBoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Mondeo 20si (Old!)

Quote:

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
Looks like they've finally got someone with half a brain to address this.

Pity they only address half of Dooma's story.

They're obviously finally coming to realise that this could cause permanent damage.

Very odd for someone to actually directly address a blog site. I would not have expected that.

Desperation?

Even if Dooma has 'played a good game' here (which is possible, though doubtful) - it's clear that Husker have played a shocker!

They have left it rather late to start trying to do character assassination on Dooma - they're pretty much dead in the water themselves on that front.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #1293
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
you say ebay land like its not real, its very real thousands of courts cases a year are based on "ebay land" transactions with their legally binding contracts in the US court system. And as for putting in 80,000 how do you know he didn't? If he did and no one bid and it ends at 60,000 its the dealers fault for trying to save a few $'s and not putting a reserve.

The problem is shady dealers such as this one who use ebay as a promotional tool to advertise their dealerships, hey look we have a top of the line car for less than msrp and when you go to the dealership they say "oh sorry thats only online" Then you get home and the listing is removed. Plain and simple if you are a lazy ass who don't know how the internet age works don't try to use it to your advantage. Or crap like this will happen.

Btw I have contacted several more media outlets since I last did with updates on this situation, They claim they are looking in to this to make it a pretty big local story. Stay tuned.

i think BMWNA and ebay are nervously and passively watching if case escalates. and husker is clearly stalling for space for their legal team to work some kinda magic technicality/loophole. i say just sue and catch them off guard. after hearing this, i wouldn't be surprised if ebay motor's division folds, generating *ZERO* income for any party.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #1294
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Dooma, I am not a lawyer or have any knowledgeable basis for the following statement, but "If I were you by this point, I would not only want to get the M3 for 60k, but I will ask for so much more from the dealer it is not even funny. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! Is wrong with this dealership and BMW N.A., I am so angry and I am in no way connected to this case except for the fact that I bought a car from a crappy BMW dealership that treats me like shit ,supplied by BMW who has become completely complacent lately and hopefully will lose millions of customers from now on until they clean up their act. I have been a BMW fan since I was a little kid, and have literally spent most of my money on BMW products(cars, diecast toys, clothes, accessories and driving to the dealership to look at my favorite driving machines.. Im 19 and I have owned 2 BMW's and I am so disappointed in them. Im having problems with my 335 and have called BMW N.A. a million times, nothing has been done about it. IM F********ING pisssseeeeedddd..
      03-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #1295
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Michael B. Maledon, Esq.
Now what, Husker trying to clarify things? It doesn't help that Husker is already accusing and blaming "Tanisaka is more out for the publicity than to buy a BMW". What a way to treat a customer.

I don't think Ken would have asked his lawyer to write a legal letter regarding Fil Catania refusing to accept his credit card if it did not happen. In addition, also Catania is not following instructions on the deal agreed between Ken's lawyer and BMW NA corporate counsel.

Ken also indicated his refusal to talk to Husker dealership because of the way Catania treated him, refusing to accept his form of payment.

And ultimately, why is a Husker employee writing about this whole incident? Shouldn't they be keeping quiet instead of fanning additional flames on this whole incident?

I am really really disappointed at how Husker is responding. A "clarification post" like this would not do anything to help. Decisive action (i.e. apologizing as if they really mean it, honoring the deal of $60K for E90 M3 and throwing in extra credit/support) from Husker is the best form of prove of the dealership's endeavor, but instead Husker choose to continue to fan flames. Great job.
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #1296
bmw-m6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinred View Post
hi there member from revscene.net here just wanted to say we're rooting for you

if i were you id be all over the press, and their ebay feedback score, about them being shady or at least threaten to escalate the situation unless all conditions within the ebay auction are met and nothing more
just put a link to page one and like a chain letter, ask them to pass the word on to 5 ppl. even if 1 more person gets wind, who knows how long the gust will be !
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #1297
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Stop Being Nice Dooma........it Time For An Upheaval, This Is Ridiculous, And I Am Going To Do Everything I Can To Express The Opinions On This Blog To Everyone!!!!!!! Revenge Ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      03-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1298
mooseman
Rep
Drives: 318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
This whole thing is getting a little weird.
It is. I find it odd that their counsel would post anything here. I also find it odd that Ken's counsel would seek BMW NA's assistance.

Neither make sense if there were a solid case on either side. Just my 2¢.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread