BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Stoptech is king if you are going to be using the setup on the track. If you ever decide to get the rear setup you will be able to swap the pads from front to back since the st40 caliper is the exact same (piston sizes are different)! That is the biggest benefit ever!!!! Saves you money as pads are not cheap for a bbk.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #24
Gary_C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Anything with Brembo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post

But anyway, so will the 365/6pot & 345/4pot Brembo's fit clear of my 18"s then? Are you guys running any spacers?

Cheers,
Yes, the Brembo 365mm (F) and 345mm (R) was specifically developed around the ability to utilize the OEM 18" wheels without the need for spacers.

There's quite a few posts going around on this board right now about this kit, the ability to use 18" wheels, and the question of whether it can be used as front only or if you need a rear.
BremboGuy on TWITTER Enthusiast Extraordinaire - While I do happen to work for Race Technologies, US Distributor for BREMBO Brakes, this is my personal account and the views and opinions expressed here are my own, and NOT that of Brembo or Race Technologies. The information I share is 100% factual to the best of my knowledge and I will be the first to admit when I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Just like the title states, looking at BBK options and run OEM 18's for both winter and track so clearance is an issue. I have looked into both the AP Racing and Brembo kits as well but just noticed Stoptech has a 355mm 4 pot front brake option. Any feedback would be appreciated although how these perform at the track is important.
Why?

If you want bling go bigger and 4 corners. For performance, I am pretty sure that proper pads is all you need.
      10-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #26
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Interestingly, the Trophy page on StopTech website states that the STR 40 (i.e. 4 piston setup) is the "same caliper used by top SpeedŽ World Challenge and Grand-Am Cup Teams". Not the STR 60

http://www.stoptech.com/Products/trophy.shtml

Is this some kind of regulation or do race teams prefer 4-piston over 6-piston, and why?

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #27
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Interestingly, the Trophy page on StopTech website states that the STR 40 (i.e. 4 piston setup) is the "same caliper used by top SpeedŽ World Challenge and Grand-Am Cup Teams". Not the STR 60

http://www.stoptech.com/Products/trophy.shtml

Is this some kind of regulation or do race teams prefer 4-piston over 6-piston, and why?
It's per regulations. Only 4 piston fronts are allowed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Why?

If you want bling go bigger and 4 corners. For performance, I am pretty sure that proper pads is all you need.
Not the case with our cars for good drivers. The stock brakes are just not up to the challenge regardless of pads, fluid and brake line upgrade.
An SEVERE example was posted by JuniourM3, who's a professional race car driver, who literally cooked his brakes, and he had ducts on too. He had no warning when the brakes failed.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #29
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Not the case with our cars for good drivers. The stock brakes are just not up to the challenge regardless of pads, fluid and brake line upgrade.
An SEVERE example was posted by JuniourM3, who's a professional race car driver, who literally cooked his brakes, and he had ducts on too. He had no warning when the brakes failed.
Well, I'm not sure it's totally fair to say the brakes are not adequate for "good drivers" on track. The brakes are fine, up to their limit which, of course is not as high as with the best race-ready brake systems. The OE system can certainly be pushed beyond its practical limit, and just as easily by a lesser skilled driver. Your point is well taken, but competent drivers can enjoy the car on track without burning up the brakes; just a matter of choice, and one of the many compromises one makes in casually using a street car on track.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #30
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
It's per regulations. Only 4 piston fronts are allowed.
If 4-piston brakes are good for the World Challenge cars to go racing, they are probably good for my track days then ;-)

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0