BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
jcw
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

2011 M3 tire pressure and brake fluid question

I'm taking my car to Watkins Glen would like to know the recommended tire pressure for PS2's and should I change the brake fluid. I have the DCT, do I need special transmission fluid for it?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

with respect to tire pressure, I usually try to run around 40psi hot. so I typically fill them to 32/33 psi cold, and then when I check the pressure as soon as I get off the track they're at around 40psi. you should always look at the wear indicators (they're arrows on the PS2's) on the sidewall of the tires to see if you're running too much or not enough pressure.

how many miles since the last brake fluid flush? any track miles? my guess is that you should be fine if it hasn't been tracked yet, but it never hurts to do a flush. it should at least provide some peace of mind.

nothing to do on the DCT. BMW wouldn't even change the fluid if you asked them to. there's a lot of info on this forum about BMW's questionable "lifetime fluid" policy with the DCT and whether that's actually appropriate.

enjoy Watkins! I've always wanted to run on that track.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
It sounds like this is your first HPDE. You should take your car to the dealer and have them Tech the car. Have them flush your brake fluid. ATE is great and is relatively inexpensive though you can get away w/ the DOT 4 fluid the dealer has.

When are you going to The Glen? Are you going Mother's Day weekend w/ GVC BMW CCA? Unfortunately that's the event I can't make, so I am going the weekend prior w/ Trackmasters, Inc. and the weekend after w/ AR PCA. If you are there when I am, I can help you out. My first HPDE was the Mother's day event 2 years ago. Ever since then I've been hooked!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

PS2 tires are not recomended for the track. Side walls are not reinforced and they roll over under heavy lateral load. I know because i distroyed my new ps2 tires in 2 track days. But my driving style is very agressive and if its your first event you should be ok. They are expensive and are very good street tires. For your next event you should consider dunlop direzza spec or similar street tires that also are very good on the track. When are you going to the glen? Its my favorite track by far and i will be there with SCDA early next week. I will be running my AW 135i.

Last edited by Groundpilot; 04-21-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
It sounds like this is your first HPDE. You should take your car to the dealer and have them Tech the car. Have them flush your brake fluid. ATE is great and is relatively inexpensive though you can get away w/ the DOT 4 fluid the dealer has.

When are you going to The Glen? Are you going Mother's Day weekend w/ GVC BMW CCA? Unfortunately that's the event I can't make, so I am going the weekend prior w/ Trackmasters, Inc. and the weekend after w/ AR PCA. If you are there when I am, I can help you out. My first HPDE was the Mother's day event 2 years ago. Ever since then I've been hooked!
I wouldn't inform the dealer your taking the car to the track. They could use it against you in providing certain warranty work. Maybe take your car to an independent shop for track prep items.

Good luck and enjoy the car and track.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

He has a 2011 M3 why should he have his car tech'd by the dealer.
It's hard to understand some of the advice here.

I'm going to assume that you are new to this based on your questions.
1) Your tires will be fine.
2) Run 35-36 psi all the way around (cold), which is probably what you are running stock on the street anyway.
3) Don't worry about scruffing off all the outside tread as this is highly unusual for beginners unless your instructor is going to let you understeer through every single corner.
4) Don't worry about DCT fluid as you can't do anything about it and there are no reported failures due to fluid issues. Also, at this point you don't need to worry about brake fluid either as your skills are not likely to be pushing either your pads, fluid or tires.
lastly
5) Have lots of fun.

Last edited by VictorH; 04-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
I wouldn't inform the dealer your taking the car to the track. They could use it against you in providing certain warranty work. Maybe take your car to an independent shop for track prep items.

Good luck and enjoy the car and track.

Ditto!!

Anyone can kill tires, aggressive or not. Actually the better you get the easier you are on your tires. Have fun man and just take it easy out there. The car is better than you are as a novice. (I'm still the weak link when compared to my car).

Buy a "good" pressure gauge. Not a $5 one, go out and buy a good one like this

And keep your ego at home.
      04-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I had literally no problem using my dealer to tech my car. I don't know if things would be different if I wasn't a friend of the owner and sales manager, but I have heard of horror stories with some dealers so I'll say it's a case by case basis.

The PS2's will be absolutely fine. Do not worry about tires as long as there is decent tread. Yes there are stickier tires, but it truly doesn't matter at this level. Plus street tires make a nice loud roar going around corners telling you that you are working them.

As far as PS2's as a track tire. I don't know the circumstances of M3 09 AND135I 11's incident where he destroyed one, but I corded a Pilot Sport Cup tire that still had 3/32" tread on Sunday at Summit Point's Jefferson circuit. That tire is made for the track, but on tight tracks w/o camber plates and a decent driver you'll destroy anything. My father has a Panoz GTS racecar that he bought from Penske. They used it as a DE car and they only used PS2's, so obviously they can work on the track.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

PS2 tires were used on my 135i not my m3. 135I is a great track car if suspension is modified but when i took it to the track it was completly stock without camber plates. These cars understeer heavily in stock form and combined with my agressive driving lead to delamination of PS2 front sidewalls. Of course stock m3 doesnt understeer nearly as much but still based on my experience PS2 tires are weak for track driving. My friend(good driver) with same stock car but with dunlop direzas didnt damage them as much. OP you should be ok if its your first event because e9X M3 has more neutral handling and novice drivers usually dont push hard during their first few events.
Appreciate 0