BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

12-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Help W/ Mechanical Watch...

my bro just got a omega automatic watch (don't know exact model). at first we winded it like 10 times until the needle started moving.

now he has been wearing it all day and yet it keeps stopping throughout the day. when he swings it side to side the needle starts moving again and he would put it back on his wrist to see if it would still work throughout the day and it keeps stopping after x amount of hours.

it seems the watch isn't winding or holding charge when it is on his wrist. maybe we are doing something wrong or maybe the watch is busted?

watch gurus needed
      12-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

it can take quite a bit to wind a watch up from a dead stop...

Some of my automatics will die on me while I sit at my desk if I'm not very active. This is of course if I don't wind them up enough before I put them on in the morning.

Just tell him to purposefully rotate his wrist back and forth several times when he is on his way to work, etc and it'll be just fine.

You can overwind a watch manually (actually turning the crown), but you definitely know when you have reached a full wind because it becomes VERY hard to turn after that point. You cannot however overwind it while its on your wrist. Modern movements have a "clutch" on them to keep this from happening.

Not sure what Omega you have and what movement is in it, but here are a couple examples of winding... my Tag Monaco (Chrono) I manually wind 40 times before I put it on my wrist.. and then I still shake it a few times.

My manual wind Unitas based Panerai takes about 90 turns to fully wind from a dead stop.

All I'm saying is that 10 manual winds, is nothing, so what it sounds like your friend is experiencing is perfectly normal....

Just shake it like a Polaroid picture.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

buy a watch box with an automatic winder
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

When you wind from a dead stop you have to keep winding until you start to get some resistance. You can't just stop when the second-hand begins to move.

Edit: My advice does not pertain to your situation. My bad.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
my bro just got a omega automatic watch (don't know exact model). at first we winded it like 10 times until the needle started moving.

now he has been wearing it all day and yet it keeps stopping throughout the day. when he swings it side to side the needle starts moving again and he would put it back on his wrist to see if it would still work throughout the day and it keeps stopping after x amount of hours.

it seems the watch isn't winding or holding charge when it is on his wrist. maybe we are doing something wrong or maybe the watch is busted?

watch gurus needed

may need to wind it up to about 50 - 70 times to get the maximum running time on this automatic. you can manually wind it or wear it all the time. once the watch is fully wound it will usually run for a good 48-56 hrs before it needs to be wound again.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
When you wind from a dead stop you have to keep winding until you start to get some resistance. You can't just stop when the second-hand begins to move.

it's an auto, only manuals will get resistance while winding. on autos you will hear a clcking sound after it has maxed out while winding it. that's the mechanism preventing the overwinding of the mainspring. so in other words, you can't overwind an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
it's an auto, only manuals will get resistance while winding. on autos you will hear a clcking sound after it has maxed out while winding it. that's the mechanism preventing the overwinding of the mainspring. so in other words, you can't overwind an automatic.
You're right. I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post

watch gurus needed
I had to take my Omega in for service last month (wouldn't hold the "charge" from winding nor wearing it). The tech said my Omega needed to be wound about 40x from a dead stop (I was doing about 10 or so like you).
      12-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.

I had the same problem with my Omega (Seamaster Chrono auto), I only noticed this after 6 years. I did take the watch in for a service and cleaning. They did replace a couple of parts for me and I no longer have my watch stop while on my wrist.

So my question is this: is the watch brand new or pre-loved?

In either case, bring it in to get serviced.

Prior to this, I would notice that the watch would stop (while on wrist) only if I haven't worn it in a while. After service, I can go without wearing for 36 hours without stalling.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Is it an automatic or a manual? If its manual like you say, it needs to be wound with the crown, and shaking around in your hand will do little or most likley nothing. If its an automatic and you shake it, and once it starts put it on your wrist, and it still stops, it needs a service.

Post a picture of the watch.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamako View Post
I had the same problem with my Omega (Seamaster Chrono auto), I only noticed this after 6 years. I did take the watch in for a service and cleaning. They did replace a couple of parts for me and I no longer have my watch stop while on my wrist.

Prior to this, I would notice that the watch would stop (while on wrist) only if I haven't worn it in a while. After service, I can go without wearing for 36 hours without stalling.
Same as me, except mine is about 8 years old.
      12-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Does that mean all automatics can be manually winded?

My other question is what's better for the watch if it's not going to be worn every day: to let it completely unwind (stop) and rewind it next time you use it, or buy one of those boxes that keep it moving? Is it any wear and tear on the mechanism if it's running all the time, the same, or actually better? Looking for an auto watch (Tag Carrera chrono or Oris TT3 chrono), so the timing of this thread was perfect . Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

you can buy an automatic watch winder which runs on ac or battery. there's really not much wear and tear when the watch is running all the time. just make sure you take it in for maintenance every 5 yrs or so. if you don't wear the watch and you don't have a winder, you can always pull the crown all the way on the watch. this will stop the watch but keep the mainspring wound. when you wear the watch again next time, just push the crown back in and set the time. Your watch should run without issues. this is usually true for all automatics.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
you can always pull the crown all the way on the watch. this will stop the watch but keep the mainspring wound.
That sounds like the easiest fix. Leaving the main spring wound is not going to hurt it in the long run, correct? And doing that also lenghtens the service interval as well, I assume. What's done when 'servicing' an automatic watch? If you don't use it underwater, and don't use it daily, what's a good interval? Is it oiled? One reason I want an automatic is because I assumed they never had to be opened. Or at least longer than 5 years. Will make sure watch has a screw-down back then. Many thanks.

My other dilemma is where to buy. No local Oris authorized distributors, so would have to buy thru the web, but there're all kinds of warnings about warranty. Will have to instruct myself what to look for, other than the obvious, like visible serial numbers, warranty cards, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

either buy it online or take a drive to your nearest Tourneau in San Antonio or Scottsdale, AZ. i think you can find a good deal online, just ask for extra pics, pics of box, pics of warranty. if you get all of that, u should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Does that mean all automatics can be manually winded?

My other question is what's better for the watch if it's not going to be worn every day: to let it completely unwind (stop) and rewind it next time you use it, or buy one of those boxes that keep it moving? Is it any wear and tear on the mechanism if it's running all the time, the same, or actually better? Looking for an auto watch (Tag Carrera chrono or Oris TT3 chrono), so the timing of this thread was perfect . Thx.

No, not all auto's can be wound manually... Most of the time they can, but not all.

If you are going to buy a nice watch and intend to use a winder, you need to use a quality winder. Unfortunately a quality winder can end up costing more than the watch itself, but they are worth it because they are actually programmable for number/direction of rotations (important for some models). Brookstone, etc sell models that are less than $100, but I wouldn't recommend you use them on a watch that cost x,xxx.xx. They typically only turn on/off and are loud as hell and will most likely burn up if used as directed.

The debate about what is better/worse winding every day/letting them stop, etc. rages on... I've heard +/- of doing it both ways. I must say that after weeding out all of my quartz and digital watches it sometimes can be annoying winding and setting a watch when you want to wear one, but sometimes it can be fun as well..

Also, not all automatic movements are "hacking" movements. This means that when you pull the crown out the second hands stop. Most of the time the non-hacking swiss movements are found on older watches 1950s-1970s models. Some of the newer Japanese movements don't hack either. I've got a dive watch with a Mitoya automatic movement and it doesn't stop when you pull the crown out... its odd when you see it at first, but its a great movement (actually more accurate than a couple of my swiss ETA movements)

have fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That sounds like the easiest fix. Leaving the main spring wound is not going to hurt it in the long run, correct? And doing that also lenghtens the service interval as well, I assume. What's done when 'servicing' an automatic watch? If you don't use it underwater, and don't use it daily, what's a good interval? Is it oiled? One reason I want an automatic is because I assumed they never had to be opened. Or at least longer than 5 years. Will make sure watch has a screw-down back then. Many thanks.

My other dilemma is where to buy. No local Oris authorized distributors, so would have to buy thru the web, but there're all kinds of warnings about warranty. Will have to instruct myself what to look for, other than the obvious, like visible serial numbers, warranty cards, etc.
Leaving the watch wound by pulling out the crown is not suggested. The mainspring is better off without tension on it and with the crown pulled out you introduce the chance for dirt and dust to enter the movement. Just let the watch wind down and when you want to wear it wind it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

whats the difference between hand-winding mechanical movement and automatic? happy holidays guys
      12-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyslow View Post
Leaving the watch wound by pulling out the crown is not suggested. The mainspring is better off without tension on it and with the crown pulled out you introduce the chance for dirt and dust to enter the movement. Just let the watch wind down and when you want to wear it wind it up.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks man. Just going to make sure watch can be manually wound then.

H10M4N, hand-winding movement means exactly that; just by hand, like some Omegas and others. An automatic adds a 'rotor' at the bottom of the watch that winds the main spring with the movement of your hand. As it was said above, they can or cannot be manually wound by hand, but with the great point REALLYSLOW made, just make sure it can be manually wound so you can wear your watch right away without having to shake it like a maniac for minutes.

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. Now my dilemma is if I should pay hundreds of dollars more to buy from an authorized distributor or buy from an unauthorized one with their own warranty (but brand new watch). In the case of Oris, there's no local distributor anyway, and the chances of the watch being defective are quite slim. Suggestions welcome. And if you have bought from such distributors a testimonial from an unbiased source would be great. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

I've never heard of an auto that couldn't be wound by hand. That would suck to have to wave your wrist back and forth a million times every time you wanted to wear it. I think it's safe to say that in 99% of the instances out there, an automatic movement can be manually wound via the crown. And as others have noted, it takes about 40 winds to give enough power with a usually a 24-48 hour reserve after the watch has been taken off.

Normal arm movement should keep the watch from running while the watch is in use. If the watch normally stops while it is being worn and you're sure it's been wound sufficiently then it's time for a service.

Service intervals vary. Manufacturers tend to recommend a factory service every 5 years. Many people, however, won't bother until the watch stops working (e.g., won't hold a charge, no longer keeps accurate time, etc.). I'm in the latter camp. I've had a submariner for about 10 years that hasn't been serviced yet and it still runs like the day I got it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #21
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

And re: grey market vs an AD. I don't think I'd have any issues buying from a reputable grey market dealer (especially with a money back guarantee). Just make sure you get all warranty cards, instructions, packaging, etc just in case you ever want to resell. Many people look to the documentation as a way to help verify authenticity and it could be hard to resell without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

so hand wound mechanical does not recharge by movement of hand but must be manually wound every once in a while to keep it going right? thanks for info and help, happy holidays.