BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Need help - lost wheel lock key!

Buddy of mine who drives a 335 coupe has the OEM BMW wheel locks, which he is using with a set of aftermarket wheels. He has lost the key.

The dealer says there is NO WAY to remove the wheel. I find this hard to believe.

Can anyone help? Looking at my set of locks, it seems like maybe an easy out might work? I dunno.

Need help, fast. We have a track day coming up this Thursday!!

(And NOoooo, it is NOT me that lost the lock.... it was my buddy... seriously. )(His name is Drew. Not me. Drew.)(I would never do that.... )

(REEally.)
      07-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Buddy of mine who drives a 335 coupe has the OEM BMW wheel locks, which he is using with a set of aftermarket wheels. He has lost the key.

The dealer says there is NO WAY to remove the wheel. I find this hard to believe.

Can anyone help? Looking at my set of locks, it seems like maybe an easy out might work? I dunno.

(And NOoooo, it is NOT me that lost the lock.... it was my buddy... seriously. )(His name is Drew. Not me. Drew.)(I would never do that.... )

(REEally.)
Does it look like this...

07-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Locking lug bolt extraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

(REEally.)
Yeah, yeah, whatever you say.

1) I don't suppose YOUR BUDDY was smart enough to write down the key number before he lost it? Okay, didn't think so.

2) Maybe something like this would work: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-15...il-80-401.aspx. There are several other types here: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/nsea...bolt+extractor.

3) Undoubtedly you have a local Snap-On dealer. Here are they're offerings: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catal...e=snapon-store.

Best of luck!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yeah, yeah, whatever you say.

1) I don't suppose YOUR BUDDY was smart enough to write down the key number before he lost it? Okay, didn't think so.

2) Maybe something like this would work: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-15...il-80-401.aspx. There are several other types here: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/nsea...bolt+extractor.

3) Undoubtedly you have a local Snap-On dealer. Here are they're offerings: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catal...e=snapon-store.

Best of luck!
OK, I'll bite. Where would that key number be? I have stickers in the bags that came with the two fobs, but the numbers don't indicate what they are for. Perhaps it is in the manual, but I'm being lazy right now.

I've used those bolt extractors with mixed success. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they just break, which makes the situation worse. You (I mean your buddy) will need an industrial strength drill to have a chance with that method.
      07-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Does it look like this...

LOL. Thanks for your help, guys. It is MUCH appreciated!!

Yep, the wheel lock/key looks just like this.

The lost key problem IS a buddy of mine's. I am so OCD, that when I took delivery of my own car, I ordered a spare key. I am just very much aware of my own potential for memory lapses....

(You guys are probably thinking.... "methinks he doth protest too much...", haha).

Any idea how we might be able to rip that thing out of there, before Thursday? Solutions thus far seem to entail the ordering of parts that we don't have time to obtain. If we can't get it done before Thursday, one of these routes will be the one we will have to take!

Thanks again - you guys haven't failed me yet!!!

cheers
      07-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Bolt extractors are available at places like Sears, or decent retail tool store. As I said above, it may or may not work, but it is worth a try, as Greg suggested. As I also said above, you will need a powerful drill with plenty of torque once you get it tapped and try to back it out.

Good luck!
      07-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
OK, I'll bite. Where would that key number be? I have stickers in the bags that came with the two fobs, but the numbers don't indicate what they are for. Perhaps it is in the manual, but I'm being lazy right now.

I've used those bolt extractors with mixed success. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they just break, which makes the situation worse. You (I mean your buddy) will need an industrial strength drill to have a chance with that method.
To the best of my knowledge, the key number is only on the wrench. My Mercedes McGard locks came with a card, but I never saw one for my BMW locks, though they were on the car when I picked it up. With the key number you can order a replacement.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the key number is only on the wrench. My Mercedes McGard locks came with a card, but I never saw one for my BMW locks, though they were on the car when I picked it up. With the key number you can order a replacement.
Yeah, I looked at mine tonight as a result of this thread, and there were no numbers of any kind. The key was in my tool kit as originally delivered. Seems silly to ask because it wouldn't provide much security, but is it possible there is only one key for all M3s, perhaps more models?

Now that I think about it, maybe it is not so silly. On my Lotus, all four lugs were originally keyed on every wheel. They supplied a factory tool which fit into a 17mm socket, but all tools fit all lugs.

Now I digress. When I attempted to swap wheels and tires the first time, I broke one on some seized lugs courtesy of the previous owner, had a Lotus forum member ship me his spare overnight, and it fit. Long story short, but I had to drill out the seized bolts, and use the new tool to back them out.

They were a general pain because I swapped tires all the time for autocross and track. I eventually dumped them in favor of std. BMW lugs which were an exact fit.

Last edited by foosh; 07-14-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I looked at mine tonight as a result of this thread, and there were no numbers of any kind. The key was in my tool kit as originally delivered. Seems silly to ask because it wouldn't provide much security, but is it possible there is only one key for all M3s, perhaps more?
No, there should be multiple keys. Wouldn't hurt to go by a dealer and see what they have in inventory and try them all.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, "should be" is the operative phrase here.

The OP did say a dealer already told his friend, there was "no way to get them off without the key." While I doubt the "no way" part, it does suggest that it won't be easy to find the right key, and that dealer is probably being lazy. People, no doubt, lose these things all the time. But, it did prompt me to start wondering where in the hell does one find a key number?

I'm running the same Rogue spacers you are right now with no keyed lugs, so it is not an issue, but if the new RACs are as perfect in offset as we expect them to be the spacers will go into hibernation, and I'll go back to the original lugs and lock lugs. The OEM 19s can be replaced, but the RACs will be a different animal.
      07-15-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Dealers should have a full set of unlocking key nuts in their service dept.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
People, no doubt, lose these things all the time. But, it did prompt me to start wondering where in the hell does one find a key number?
As I said in my earlier post, the key number is on the head of the key. Write it in your manual before you lose it!

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As I said in my earlier post, the key number is on the head of the key. Write it in your manual before you lose it!
[EDIT] Sorry Greg, I finally found it--never have reading glasses when I need them.
      07-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry Greg, but as I said, I don't see a key number anywhere on mine. Perhaps I need a microscope?
Hmmm. Mine says "ABC 37" in the center of the dished center part of the key, which I assumed was the code.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm. Mine says "ABC 37" in the center of the dished center part of the key, which I assumed was the code.
Yeah, I edited--mine is ABC 38, so there are clearly different keys. Thanks for the help and your persistence.
      07-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

Hello Folks,

That idiot of a friend is me!! The dealership here does have a master set, but none of the keys match!! Which is as retarded as me losing it in the 1st place.

I had been playing around with my suspension for a couple days and used it in the drive way. Then again at a track day to torque everything to spec, I remember putting everything that was in my trunk on the ground after that so I thought it might still be at the track. I was wrong no key found there either.

It really pisses me of that the dealership doesn't have a master, every master they have is too big for my keyhole.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
well there's no other way than going to another dealer.. or drill the freaking key until it's out.. not really, but maybe
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Well, mine is 'ABC 31', so at least for now there're only numbers in the 30s, which make the possible combinations just 10.

By the way, my locks came with a label I affixed inside the first page of the service booklet (and also wrote the info down in my service history file at home, along with key number), so my message to the OP is to look for that label in one of the manuals; you might get lucky . It's a white label with black numbers, with the following info:

11.06.2008 (I imagine manufacturing date)
51.21-7199857 - 01 (must be a part number or something, but comes up as 'not a valid p/n' everywhere I tried).

And yes, I'm sure locks can be removed, but probably not without f***ing up the wheels, especially the rears ones, where the lock is deep inside. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-15-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
Hello Folks,

That idiot of a friend is me!! The dealership here does have a master set, but none of the keys match!! Which is as retarded as me losing it in the 1st place.

I had been playing around with my suspension for a couple days and used it in the drive way. Then again at a track day to torque everything to spec, I remember putting everything that was in my trunk on the ground after that so I thought it might still be at the track. I was wrong no key found there either.

It really pisses me of that the dealership doesn't have a master, every master they have is too big for my keyhole.
Ask the dealer the codes he does have, and perhaps with the help of this forum you can find which ones they are missing. If it is the same type key on the M3, the code should begin with an ABC XX (two digit number). If ELP is correct, it will be ABC 3X.
      07-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
By the way, my locks came with a label I affixed inside the first page of the service booklet (and also wrote down on my service history in my computer), so my message to the OP is to look for that label in one of the manuals; you might get lucky . It's a white label with black numbers, with the following info:

11.06.2008 (I imagine manufacturing date)
51.21-7199857 - 01 (must be a part number or something, but comes up as 'not a valid p/n' everywhere I tried).

And yes, I'm sure locks can be removed, but probably not without f***ing up the wheels, especially the rears ones, where the lock is deep inside. Good luck.
Yes, I had those labels inside the bag with the extra key fob. I assumed the second number was a code for the key fobs.

On the second part, if you can find a bolt extractor with a long enough shank, it might be long enough to keep your drill from touching the wheel.
      07-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

dealer has a master key that will fit any lock nut for the wheels, if they are OEM wheels and original from BMW, this is without a doubt as I called a few weeks ago when I installed my 19's and I almost stripped one of the locks, trying to loosen it by hand (no torque gun). that is probably your easiest and quickest solution imo.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Yes, I had those labels inside the bag with the extra key fob. I assumed the second number was a code for the key fobs.
It's for the wheel locks buddy. Any appropriate keyfob (CA or regular) can be programmed by a dealer with your VIN; no need for specific p/n there. Plus the manufacturing date on the label is months after my car's build date AND I bought the locks after car purchase, so no confusion there.

What is strange is not coming up as a valid p/n. I tried the 11 first digits (without the '-01') and the middle 7 and no go. But maybe only dealers can special-order them, as the p/n for the locks is totally different, and always the same regardless of key code. If OP finds the label he's in business. Take care.
Appreciate 0