BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Airline ticket loophole?

Ok, here is my situation.

I bought a non-refundable ticket ($850) back in 6/4/10 but had no choice but to cancel it due to personal reasons. They gave me a credit for a future ticket - good for a year. Here's the catch:

1. If I don't use up all $850 of credit on the future ticket, I will lose the rest of the credit. So if I buy a ticket that is only $450, I'll end up losing $400.

2. I will have to pay $150 of change fee when I book my future ticket with this credit. Plus, I can't use the left over credit to pay for it.

3. Ticket is non-transferable. Future ticket can only be booked for myself.

I never really flew US airways that much before so I wasn't too familiar with their policies. I flew United for years and they are completely different in this regard.

So here's my question, can I buy a new "refundable" ticket with my credit and pay the $150 change fee, then later return the refundable ticket?

I'm going to call USAirways later (it's an Indian call center btw, fun fun fun) but wanted to see if anyone here did something similar before.

P.S. - What I'm the most afraid of is that I pay $150 and buy this refundable ticket and then have them later tell me that I can't return it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Like most basic stores, they return the money to you via the way you paid. So the most beneficial thing you can do with that is make the 1 yr credit an infinite credit if you keep doing the same thing annually until you're ready to use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Like most basic stores, they return the money to you via the way you paid. So the most beneficial thing you can do with that is make the 1 yr credit an infinite credit if you keep doing the same thing annually until you're ready to use it.
How do I make it an infinite credit?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Maybe he means to book, cancel, book, cancel, etc. But it doesn't make sense since you pay $150 change fee each time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Maybe he means to book, cancel, book, cancel, etc. But it doesn't make sense since you pay $150 change fee each time.

this, if you cancel/return the refundable ticket, you're just going to get another credit towards another flight, effectively losing the $150

this is exactly why I don't do refundables with anyone but southwest. Having a 'fully refundable fare' but having to pay a fee is silly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
If you have a status with US, I don't believe you need to pay a change fee. Actually, if you have a status with UA, you shouldn't have to pay either. US, UA and CO are all the same big happy family. Being Star Alliance Gold should take care of that as well.

The airlines will almost always budge if they think there's a way to get you on as a continuing customer. I flew about 300k airmiles in 2010, so my perspectives might be different on their customer service. But, if you do have a status, always call your mileage club (US = Dividend Miles; UA = Mileage Plus) number for help - never just general customer service.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
If you have a status with US, I don't believe you need to pay a change fee. Actually, if you have a status with UA, you shouldn't have to pay either. US, UA and CO are all the same big happy family. Being Star Alliance Gold should take care of that as well.

The airlines will almost always budge if they think there's a way to get you on as a continuing customer. I flew about 300k airmiles in 2010, so my perspectives might be different on their customer service. But, if you do have a status, always call your mileage club (US = Dividend Miles; UA = Mileage Plus) number for help - never just general customer service.

Good luck.
good point, if you have status, it'll go a long way.

if you don't though, they really don't give a rats ass about you
Appreciate 0