BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

11-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Iverson traded! ZOMG

to the PISTONS for chauncey billups and antonio mcdyess

wow this is pretty shocking imo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3679931

story for you

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

he not good as he used to be...dun matter to me

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

He's not an icon like he once was (was he?). His shoes are on the same level as Shaq's, so he should retire now before his name is diminished even more.
      11-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
LeBron James in 2010? That's what they say on Yahoo. That'd be sweeeet!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
SpecC
Rep

meh, we'll see how it pans out probably a few weeks later
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Chancey Billups is a good point guard, clutch performer, and won a ring (2004 Finals MVP). Iverson is a has been and has no rings. Advantage Denver.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

they can have him
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
      11-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Chancey Billups is a good point guard, clutch performer, and won a ring (2004 Finals MVP). Iverson is a has been and has no rings. Advantage Denver.
Allen Iverson has the third-highest scoring average in NBA history. (true story) He's a scoring machine. . .not the typical point guard. . .but he adds a whole new dimension to the Pistons lineup. Advantage Detroit.
      11-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

AI needs to retire soon...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
Allen Iverson has the third-highest scoring average in NBA history. (true story) He's a scoring machine. . .not the typical point guard. . .but he adds a whole new dimension to the Pistons lineup. Advantage Detroit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #12
SDTopless
I just wanna do my car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 350z RevUp =)

Denver is getting a lot more w/ Chauncey & Mcdeyess vs. Detroit and a not so great Iverson
      11-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Iverson is in the last year of his contract that pays him $22 million. I'm sure he's going to play his ass off and at the end of this season, Detroits going to let him walk and have a lot of cap room. Detroit wins this trade because they'll have a ton of cap room to get free agents. It's not like either one is going to win a championship this year anyway.
      11-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Iverson is in the last year of his contract that pays him $22 million. I'm sure he's going to play his ass off and at the end of this season, Detroits going to let him walk and have a lot of cap room. Detroit wins this trade because they'll have a ton of cap room to get free agents. It's not like either one is going to win a championship this year anyway.
I reckon Detroit has a decent chance this year. They have started off pretty well, they look really fired up. The addition of AI i think will make there offence a guarantee when Rasheed or Prince have a down game. Usually when there offence was down they went to defence mode and the games would average around 70-80 point mark for both teams playing.

GO THE LAKERS!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
SpecC
Rep

maybe by the end of the season, AI would want to say by taking a hefty pay cut
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Yeah this trade makes sense, lets trade two guys who have been with a cohesive team for years for a player who no one can seem to play with.
      11-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
How many rings does he have? He's the new Karl Malone. Sports is about winning, not about scoring. There is a fundamental flaw in a point guard that is third all-time in scoring average.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yeah this trade makes sense, lets trade two guys who have been with a cohesive team for years for a player who no one can seem to play with.
seriously, AI =
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

You guys are ridiculous. AI took a team with Matt Geiger, Eric Snow, George Lynch, and Theo Ratliff to the NBA finals. He's not a scrub. He's been stuck in Denver with lame duck George Karl and a wannabe superstar that doesn't understand defense. Denver's had no chance.

Chauncey Billups was on the verge of being a bust until Larry Brown brought that team together. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, and Rasheed? It doesn't get any more well rounded than that. The success of Billups and McDyess were a result of the sum of their parts and good coaches.

Im not saying this was a dumb trade if Detroit's trying to win it this year, i'm just trying to say that the Pistons already have Maxiel, who isn't that much worse than the deteriorating McDyess and they have Stuckey, who's already proven he's ready to play. They had to do SOMETHING different to have a chance at one last Finals run and we'll see if AI's scoring ability is enough to push them over the top.

And AI isn't thumbs down. We're from the same hometown, and I've never seen a guy more dedicated to where he came from and using his wealth and celebrity to better the community from which he came. None of his teammates have ever had a problem with him and that's evident in the way Eric Snow and Camby and even Larry Brown all rant about the way.

Seriously, the negative stereotypes about AI should be left in the late 90s where they belong.

And it's not like AI is a real point guard. He played the 2 his entire career in Philly. And when they did switch him to 1, he consistently put up 8+ assists per game and was top 5 in that category every year. You can't sit there and say its one man's fault he doesnt have a ring. Malone had to go against Jordan and that's just not fair. Ewing doesn't have a ring. Marino doesn't have a ring. Kobe doesn't have a ring without Shaq. I could go on for days about great players in their respective sports that never won a championship. Unless its Tennis or Golf, it's really not just up to you. Nash hasn't even been to the NBA finals. Kidd and Stockton don't have rings either.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #20
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
You guys are ridiculous. AI took a team with Matt Geiger, Eric Snow, George Lynch, and Theo Ratliff to the NBA finals. He's not a scrub. He's been stuck in Denver with lame duck George Karl and a wannabe superstar that doesn't understand defense. Denver's had no chance.

Chauncey Billups was on the verge of being a bust until Larry Brown brought that team together. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, and Rasheed? It doesn't get any more well rounded than that. The success of Billups and McDyess were a result of the sum of their parts and good coaches.

Im not saying this was a dumb trade if Detroit's trying to win it this year, i'm just trying to say that the Pistons already have Maxiel, who isn't that much worse than the deteriorating McDyess and they have Stuckey, who's already proven he's ready to play. They had to do SOMETHING different to have a chance at one last Finals run and we'll see if AI's scoring ability is enough to push them over the top.

And AI isn't thumbs down. We're from the same hometown, and I've never seen a guy more dedicated to where he came from and using his wealth and celebrity to better the community from which he came. None of his teammates have ever had a problem with him and that's evident in the way Eric Snow and Camby and even Larry Brown all rant about the way.

Seriously, the negative stereotypes about AI should be left in the late 90s where they belong.
Larry brown also took AI to the finals where he dumped one of the biggest upsets on the threepeat Lakers! I don't doubt both teams got what they needed, and I'm not saying AI has to play at his prime. But I mean... if you were as good as AI was, being a little off isn't that bad... I'm just worried because he does like to pound the ball a lot. I hope he gets forced to play the 2-guard instead of a point.

Now the question for the Pistons is how to play Rip?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post

And it's not like AI is a real point guard. He played the 2 his entire career in Philly. And when they did switch him to 1, he consistently put up 8+ assists per game and was top 5 in that category every year. You can't sit there and say its one man's fault he doesnt have a ring. Malone had to go against Jordan and that's just not fair. Ewing doesn't have a ring. Marino doesn't have a ring. Kobe doesn't have a ring without Shaq. I could go on for days about great players in their respective sports that never won a championship. Unless its Tennis or Golf, it's really not just up to you. Nash hasn't even been to the NBA finals. Kidd and Stockton don't have rings either.
There are a few problems.

- Iverson obviously takes time to mold to his teammates and this is time he doesn't have near the end of his career.

- He is a great individual player and no one questions his heart but being a great individual player does not mean he makes the team better. He dishes out assists but assists aren't everything. Think of Kobe, he was selfish back in the day but he had a monster cast around him, now he's still a great player but he's more of a team guy and even though his supporting cast isn't as great he makes them all better as a group.

- I still don't think the Pistons were broke. They are making this trade expecting instant results and I just don't think it will happen. I guess time will tell if the chemistry is there. Boston was able to take Allen and Garnett, who had never won a championship, and put them together to win it for the first time ever in a reversal like that. Can AI drop his superstar status and become just another component like KG or RA? If he can then perhaps he has some hope.

- No one ever says anything bad about someone else in public that is an unwritten rule. You never call a guy out, you keep it in the locker room. I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys don't get along with him on the court. After all, "We're talking about practice"
      11-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

My logic is this.

Dumars knows his time is extremely limited. He knows Rasheed's time is extremely limited. Unfortunately, Boston isn't going anywhere. To make matters worse, they can't even beat Cleveland in the playoffs anymore. Detroit fans, unlike the Knicks fandom of which I am a part of, don't want anything less than a championship.

When you try the same formula 2 years in a row and don't get into the finals, and YOUR players are aging when your CONFERENCE is getting better, there is NOTHING you can do except take one last swing and prepare to rebuild. Chauncey's contract is a long one. Looking at Rasheed's contract as well, they should be within reach of being under the cap in as little as 2 years. (Which is the year that Wade, Bosh, Lebron are all free agents).

In addition, they have the answer (pun intended) to fix the problem they've had in their last 2 playoffs series losses... the inability to score. We've always known these guys can defend. But Rasheed just isn't the reliable 20 pt guy he used to be, and unfortunately, neither was mr. big shot. AI still has it. When you need a bucket, you can still count on him to give it to you. Dumars KNEW that the lineup they've had wouldnt work. Because he tried it twice in the last two years and it didnt work.

The only thing left to do is make one move that wont jeopardize the future. Not only does bringing in AI serve as making that one move, but it actually makes the future a lot more accomodable for future talent.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0