BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: Have you previously owned MT cars, and now drive DCT?
Chose DCT, and have previously owned and driven an MT vehicle 224 88.54%
Chose DCT, and have not previously owned and driven an MT vehicle 29 11.46%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

03-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #45
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooMMM View Post
I have a 5 year old and 7 year old boys. I hope to teach em how to drive MT someday. Don't want it to be a lost art.

Mine are 6 and 1 (month). Will teach my 4-year-old daughter one day, too!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #46
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
auto-manual, same principle as no third pedal is what I was trying to convey.
Sorry, but What does that have to do with the statement you made that I quoted? Not trying to be a dick or antagonistic, but it seems as though you're under the impression that these mfgs design and build their own DCTs.

You said you enjoy the technology BMW put forth (in regards to the DCT). They didn't design or build the transmission, Getrag did.

Then you said that the DCT in a Ferrari would pale in comparison to the DCT in the M3 because "Italians don't build cars to last". Again, however, the DCT used by Ferrari was designed and built by Getrag, the same company behind the M3's DCT.

The transmissions are so similar in design, architecture, shift speed, etc., that I can assure you neither would "pale in comparison" to the other!

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #47
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

I have owned two sticks before my DCT. I was actually looking for a 6MT, but I found a deal that was too good to pass up. I am so glad I ended up with a DCT now.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #48
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
Sorry, but What does that have to do with the statement you made that I quoted? Not trying to be a dick or antagonistic, but it seems as though you're under the impression that these mfgs design and build their own DCTs.

You said you enjoy the technology BMW put forth (in regards to the DCT). They didn't design or build the transmission, Getrag did.

Then you said that the DCT in a Ferrari would pale in comparison to the DCT in the M3 because "Italians don't build cars to last". Again, however, the DCT used by Ferrari was designed and built by Getrag, the same company behind the M3's DCT.

The transmissions are so similar in design, architecture, shift speed, etc., that I can assure you neither would "pale in comparison" to the other!

Regardless of who builds the transmission, it's the implementation that can affect the life of the unit. BMW's software and engine are seemingly working well together for some cars reaching 100k miles, that is impressive for a daily driver. With the Ferrari not being a daily driver, the transmission may be stellar, but who knows .. how many are driven like these M3s?
      03-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Jelly M3 View Post
You are missing out, for sure.
I think not. Simplicity is my thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #50
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
I drove manuals for 22 years.. got the DCT.. It's a nice transmission but it's very boring to drive.. every shift is perfect without drama or fanfare.. I had major hesitation issues with it as well in the beginning that required 3 reflashes before it was OK.

I bought another M3 recently.. a 6-mt this time.. Now with that 3rd pedal I feel like I'm really driving... like i'm at home.. old habits die hard i guess..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #51
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
I think not. Simplicity is my thing.
Yes I totally understand the love of a 6MT but to me, it's like comparing a feature phone (old flip phone etc) to a smart phone (iPhone/Android).
Yes some people do still prefer the concept of simplicity over complexity.

But once you know what technology can do for you, you will think twice about going back.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Chose DCT, and have owned and driven an MT vehicle

All my Ms except my 08 were sticks and I love the DCT.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #53
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
I drove manuals for 22 years.. got the DCT.. It's a nice transmission but it's very boring to drive.. every shift is perfect without drama or fanfare.. I had major hesitation issues with it as well in the beginning that required 3 reflashes before it was OK.

I bought another M3 recently.. a 6-mt this time.. Now with that 3rd pedal I feel like I'm really driving... like i'm at home.. old habits die hard i guess..

--mike
This goes directly to my point about simplicity..all these software glitches people have and the transmission "learning" things on its own..totally a non-issue with MTs and ofcourse they are more fun to drive

I secretely think they are phasing out MTs to give dealers more things to fix on these car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #54
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
I secretely think they are phasing out MTs to give dealers more things to fix on these car
Think what you'd like, as more things to fix must've been the driving force behind all the automotive technological innovations.

Quote:
This goes directly to my point about simplicity..all these software glitches people have and the transmission "learning" things on its own..totally a non-issue with MTs and ofcourse they are more fun to drive

Not sure what that's all about. That's never been an issue with my car, nor on many DCT M3's of people I know. In any case, surprised that technologies aren't perfect?

These MT-vs-DCT threads will never cease, but it'd be nice to see fact-based discussions rather than sophomoric interjections and I row my own gears & use 3 pedals so I must be superior driver than thou type of childish diarrhea.

The fact is, DCT is a fantastic transmission (regardless of whether one tracks or not) mated to a fantastic engine; whereas, arguably, E9x's MT is a decent-at-best transmission mated to a fantastic engine.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #55
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Not sure what that's all about. That's never been an issue with my car, nor on many DCT M3's of people I know. In any case, surprised that technologies aren't perfect?
Really?..go look at how many "What's wrong with my DCT" threads there are on here? Then go look at how many for MT..you think because you have had no issues that means issues don't exsit? Sounds logical..

FACT - DCT is prone to more problems than MT. Period.

Quote:
These MT-vs-DCT threads will never cease, but it'd be nice to see fact-based discussions rather than sophomoric interjections and I row my own gears & use 3 pedals so I must be superior than thou type of childish diarrhea.
Well at least we can agree on that.

Quote:
The fact is, DCT is a fantastic transmission (regardless of whether one tracks or not) mated to a fantastic engine; whereas, arguably, E9x's MT is a decent-at-best transmission mated to a fantastic engine.
Spoken like a true fanboi.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
Megabeast
Manual Shift Supporter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Manual

Garage List
Chose DCT, and have owned and driven an MT vehicle

Well owned 4 manual cars and one Automatic (Second Car)
Chose DCT on the M3 since I had to order one for MT... and wait for weeks/months I just couldn't wait!

I am getting used to the DCT and it seems to grow on me... but I still have the craving for MT.

I might get a beater car with MT in the near future
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #57
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Jelly M3 View Post
Yes I totally understand the love of a 6MT but to me, it's like comparing a feature phone (old flip phone etc) to a smart phone (iPhone/Android).
Yes some people do still prefer the concept of simplicity over complexity.

But once you know what technology can do for you, you will think twice about going back.
Maybe that analogy works for you but not for 6mt enthusiasts. To me (and probably most on here who chose the 6mt) the dct is just another automatic. Auto transmissions have been around for decades, they are just a little more advanced now.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #58
peeti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e90

27 years of mt then medical issues forced me to stop using my left leg. I thought DCT would suck, but even if I was miraculously cured, I'm not going back. I have full manual control. I have TWO clutches, not an auto,attic torque converter. This thing rocks!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #59
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really?..go look at how many "What's wrong with my DCT" threads there are on here? Then go look at how many for MT..you think because you have had no issues that means issues don't exsit? Sounds logical..

FACT - DCT is prone to more problems than MT. Period.

Well at least we can agree on that.

Spoken like a true fanboi.
Re: DCT more problems, whatever. It's a newer technology. That's not going to dissuade people from opting for it.

Fanboi or not, I'm probably part of a small minority group who actually owned/leased both 6MT and DCT E9x M3's - for multiple years of each. I speak from personal experience and not based on some assumption or fantasy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

had 6sp M3 before, DCT is just better.
      03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #61
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Had DCT M3 for over a year and now have an 6-speed manual M3 for over a year...

DCT = more fun
6-Speed = more rewarding

I bought the 6-speed because of the deal however if both were in front of me for same price, then I would get DCT. In the end I still love my M3.
      03-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
These MT-vs-DCT threads will never cease, but it'd be nice to see fact-based discussions rather than sophomoric interjections and I row my own gears & use 3 pedals so I must be superior driver than thou type of childish diarrhea.

+1 lol

Really getting tired of people saying "rowing" gearz..,a 3rd pedal blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #63
thedge9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 MT

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
I’m a 35 year MT driver who just purchased a e92 M3 6MT. I thought that I would never consider a non-manual car but the DTC is the closest thing to having the best of both worlds. So my buddy, who happens to own a DTC, said use mine and then make a decision. I did. This tranny is an amazing piece of kit. Absolutely wonderful! Faster than me, better than me and certainly easier to drive. Additionally very practically mated to a high rev, high throttle response engine like the S65. And therefore very easy to get ever last bit of engine performance. And, did I mention, it would be absolutely fantastic if you had to face horrible traffic every day. So of course I choose to go with the 6MT. Not because of rowing or not having a third pedal or blah blah blah…

After reading all the posts I noticed one point not touched on. I like driving my 6MT because this car IMHO was made to rev match. The pleasure that I get from a perfect rev match, whether heel toeing or not, outshines all the other fantastic attributes of the DTC. For me it’s just more engaging. I get a more spiritual connection from the exercise. Tight gear ratio’s and instant throttle response make the difficulty a little higher but the tingles are just amplified even more. IMHO the throttle response of the S65 makes it a M for the ages. Even when I’m not on a track or even driving that aggressively blipping that throttle with the window down never disappoints. Even if I don’t get it as perfect as I would like. That is a joy I can count on every day no matter how I’m driving.

Flame on
      03-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #64
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #65
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedge9 View Post
After reading all the posts I noticed one point not touched on. I like driving my 6MT because this car IMHO was made to rev match. The pleasure that I get from a perfect rev match, whether heel toeing or not, outshines all the other fantastic attributes of the DTC. For me it’s just more engaging. I get a more spiritual connection from the exercise.
I've never driven DCT, but reading this thread had me really thinking I was missing out. I still wonder about it (It really does sound like an awesome trans) but this matching revs is SO true for me too. Especially since I can't do it worth beans yet in my M3. I've even resorted to looking at the tach when I downshift!

My last car was a Mazda3 with a stick and I had it for about six years. I could match revs wonderfully just by the sound, speed, and feel of it. Can't WAIT to get there in the M3. It's gonna be so much more fun to drive than it already is!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #66
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
When ordering the new car I had an internal struggle choosing between 6MT and DCT. This will be my first non-manual fun car and I feel I've made the right choice.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0