BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #89
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
If the M3 V8 is so useless why do you 335i guys love slumming around at M3 post all the time?. Something to prove maybe!? There is more to a car than straight-line speed you know. How long is your HPFP going to last on a modded engine when it can't even stand up on a stock car!?

Anyway guys, stop feeding the troll!
love how these modded 335's guys wanna compare to our STOCK m3's and still not be as well rounded of a car... stock for stock m3 will mop the floors with the 335... and guess what modded 335 to modded m3 the m3 will also mop the floor with you 335 guys...

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #90
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Did I read incorrectly or do people buy M3s cause of the M badge and are badge whores? Or did I understand incorrectly?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #91
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCM3ryder View Post
love how these modded 335's guys wanna compare to our STOCK m3's and still not be as well rounded of a car... stock for stock m3 will mop the floors with the 335... and guess what modded 335 to modded m3 the m3 will also mop the floor with you 335 guys...
Straight line doesnt mean anything at all. Some 335i guys always claim that their cars are faster then m3, see what happens on the track. Limp mode after some laps. Im not hater of 335i, i also own one but just dont compare 335i and m3 all the time. If some of the 335i owner always think that your car is faster and nicer then m3, why are you staring at m3 every time you see on the street. Why are you comparing a modded turbo car to a NA car? Just a chip 335i can gain 30% or more HP but not on an M3. How can you compare a FI car to NA car
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #92
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Did I read incorrectly or do people buy M3s cause of the M badge and are badge whores? Or did I understand incorrectly?
Most do, not all. All people talk about is, "oh around the track my m3 is faster than your 335..." yet they themselves have never been on a track lol. You can have a baller car but if you can't drive it to its limits then it really doesn't matter...

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people get passed by miata's with a pro drivers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Straight line doesnt mean anything at all. Some 335i guys always claim that their cars are faster then m3, see what happens on the track. Limp mode after some laps. Im not hater of 335i, i also own one but just dont compare 335i and m3 all the time. If some of the 335i owner always think that your car is faster and nicer then m3, why are you staring at m3 every time you see on the street. Why are you comparing a modded turbo car to a NA car? Just a chip 335i can gain 30% or more HP but not on an M3. How can you compare a FI car to NA car
Where do most races occur? Go on youtube, when you see 335vsm3 or any other car for that matter, what comes up? Straight line races down open highways or drag strips. I don't see people pulling up to one another on the highway saying "lets race" then driving around looking for a road course....

Last edited by shockin330i; 07-05-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #93
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

A miata with a pro driver on a tight course is prettry quick. Just the 1000 lb plus weight break is huge.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #94
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Most do, not all. All people talk about is, "oh around the track my m3 is faster than your 335..." yet they themselves have never been on a track lol. You can have a baller car but if you can't drive it to its limits then it really doesn't matter...

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people get passed by miata's with a pro drivers...
Oh, You WILL be surprised then. It doesn't take much driving skills in an M3 to smoke a pro in a Miata. You'd know that with some M3 seat time.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #95
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
A miata with a pro driver on a tight course is prettry quick. Just the 1000 lb plus weight break is huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Oh, You WILL be surprised then. It doesn't take much driving skills in an M3 to smoke a pro in a Miata. You'd know that with some M3 seat time.
Maybe on a course with lots of straights, and your post reconfirms my point. Most m3 drivers on this board aren't track pros. So while you may blow by a miata with a pro driver, you probably wouldn't do the same if he was driving a 335i.

Like I said, if YOU can't drive your car to its limits, then it doesn't really matter if car and driver says you're faster...
      07-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #96
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It really depends on the course

I see a lot of Miatas tearing it up at Streets of Willow and Horse Thief Mile
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #97
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
+1. Miata on a track with not too much straight line is a beast
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #98
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomma View Post
There has been so much comparison between the current generation 335i vs M3, with some publications recommending the cheaper 335i due to the turbo engine's everyday flexibility.

I wonder how will the new F30 335i fare in comparison with the current generation M3. Its not uncommon for the BMW to up the performance of the regular models in the new series.

Its like comparing the E46 M3 versus the E9x 335i.

What do you guys think?
M cars are not just about pure speed. Speed is one element, but they are about a completely balanced and sublime performance package both objectively and subjectively. You can turbo a Civic DX and blow the doors off an M3, but if that makes you want the civic, you have completely missed the point here.
      07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #99
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Quote:
Dude!! What's wrong with you. So you don't have an M3. I didn't know that. But it explains alot. And no I'm not better than you just because I have an M3. There might be many other reasons but that's not one of them. My comment that you made fun of was correct. Other drivers compare their cars to M3 but we don't go on 335 website and say (M3 kills a335) (a miata would kill a335 on a track) and all the none sense you're posting. Relax dude and enjoy your car whatever it id. And to answer your question how I like my M3. Look up my thread titled "Signs you are in love with your S65" and you'll understand.
Well thats the problem with text style writing, the reader may not read the text the way the writer intended it to be. So I apologize if I misread your post, from this side it seemed like sarcasm...

On a side note m3post and e90post are all the same forum just divided. One can search all of them together. If you are registered here you can access all other sub forums, 1addicts,m3post, e90post,z4post etc.

And I'm not saying that a 335i is better than this nor that an m3 is better than that. The OP is the one who opened this topic and it appears he is an "m3" owner.

My problem is that lost of , m3 owners, 335i, owners, bmw, owners, claim how well their machine does around the track, how mighty and powerful it is on the track, but most have never even been on a track and most wouldn't know the first thing about it. I, myself am one of them. Never tracked so I don't claim that my car is better than "x" around any track.
Whether an M3 driver tracks his car or not isn't the only measure of how much they enjoy their M3. I redline mine 3-4 times on daily bases (26K miles in 14 months). I drift my entry to on-ramp twice daily (when I get there alone which happens quite often). I enjoy the rev-matching sound every time I downshift. I am in love with the linear power of the S65. Throttle response in this car is orgasmic. The Precise handling of my E92 is telepathic. The S65 sound in the morning is more awakening than my first cup of coffee. After all that, going to the track would be icing on the cake but not the whole cake. Long story short, there are way too many reasons to love this car than it's capabilities on the track, however, knowing what it can do makes every day drive feels like taming a wild beast.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #100
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Whether an M3 driver tracks his car or not isn't the only measure of how much they enjoy their M3. I redline mine 3-4 times on daily bases (26K miles in 14 months). I drift my entry to on-ramp twice daily (when I get there alone which happens quite often). I enjoy the rev-matching sound every time I downshift. I am in love with the linear power of the S65. Throttle response in this car is orgasmic. The Precise handling of my E92 is telepathic. The S65 sound in the morning is more awakening than my first cup of coffee. After all that, going to the track would be icing on the cake but not the whole cake. Long story short, there are way too many reasons to love this car than it's capabilities on the track, however, knowing what it can do makes every day drive feels like taming a wild beast.
I'm not disagreeing with you on enjoyment. Everyone loves their car or they wouldn't be driving it. And if they didn't like it they would be trading it in for something else.
      07-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #101
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

+1 the last 2 statements!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #102
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
I have extensive seat time in M3s and Miatas on tracks and have ridden in both with pros at the wheel.

I would venture to say that there are few if any in this forum who have the driving skills to smoke a pro in a Miata in their M3.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #103
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

[QUOTE=-=Hot|Ice=-;9953545]Fanboi detected. I've stated that I love the M3 already, but unlike you I'm not afraid to embrace another brand and I'm also not afraid to voice that BMW's gone cheap...because they have. I bash what deserves bashing. I'm not taking anything away from how well rounded the car is, but BMW had the resources and could of done better but knew all they had to do was slap a M badge on it and it would sell like hotcakes. Why waste money on making something 'perfect' when 'good' will suffice?

Call me what you want. I just find it ignorant to go and spend $70K on a car that i basically don't like If you feel this bad about an M3 AND are still buying one, what do you feel about the other cars in it's class?? Read GTHAL's posts, he hits it on the head.....ofcourse ALL cars could be "improved" in OUR eyes in SOME ways. But it's been proven time and time again, that the M3 is in the lead in it's class. Hence, it's always the "target" other manufacturers shoot for.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #104
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCM3ryder View Post
guess what modded 335 to modded m3 the m3 will also mop the floor with you 335 guys...
Assuming a 1/4 mile run (or on the "street" if you're into that type of thing), its highly doubtful unless there is a blower on the m.
On an actual track, advantage goes to the m for balance unless 335 has serious suspension modifications and is properly dialed in.
Anyways, you won't be mopping the floors with anybody given your "mod" list.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #105
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Quote:
I have extensive seat time in M3s and Miatas on tracks and have ridden in both with pros at the wheel.

I would venture to say that there are few if any in this forum who have the driving skills to smoke a pro in a Miata in their M3.

CA

Every Miata I have come across on the track is a BEAST! LSD, Forced Induction, stripped of weight...

I have NEVER seen a stock Miata on the track. These things are very fun track beasts.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #106
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post

Every Miata I have come across on the track is a BEAST! LSD, Forced Induction, stripped of weight...

I have NEVER seen a stock Miata on the track. These things are very fun track beasts.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #107
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
You're right...but I know a couple of M3 drivers on this forum who can hold their own against a miata on course.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #108
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

Where do most races occur? Go on youtube, when you see 335vsm3 or any other car for that matter, what comes up? Straight line races down open highways or drag strips. I don't see people pulling up to one another on the highway saying "lets race" then driving around looking for a road course....
Uh, that's because 335 owners with tunes and meth drive around looking for someone to show up (you will see this with supercharged M3s or other modded cars as well). Youtube videos really mean nothing. Unfortunately that's how most people with average intelligence or less decide what's better. In reality it's impractical to run around pushing 15-20lbs boost and meth all day, every day, just in case you run into an M3 or someone else looking to play.

I had a 335 before my M3. The ride, the sound, and the feel are worth the price difference alone. The fact that it starts out as fast as a well modded 335 on a good day is just icing on the cake.

Besides... I would hope anyone buying an M3 would be able to afford a $7-9k upgrade to get their M3 to 500-600hp or more if they wanted it. If cost is an issue in sticking to a non-M e9x, you'll likely feel the 2-3k in boost mods to get to the youtube 'M3 killer' more than the average M3 owner would a supercharger purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #109
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Gee, these threads really bring the intelligent posters out of the woodwork, eh?
It seems to bring out retards like you as well. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #110
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Because in the M3's market space, BMW's "good" is as good or better than any of the competition. If BMW released a car that set the benchmark in 2008 for performance in it's segment and even today is still widely considered to be the benchmark, why is that not enough? That is business... plain and simple. They set a goal of building a car that would keep the M3 as the segment leader and they succeeded in that. Does it lead every single performance category? No but it does not need to either to be the best overall car. If they built it to be "perfect" then they would either lose money on it or it would be priced out of the current market segment and competing with higher end and more expensive cars.

Again, I'm not debating that BMW couldn't have made the car even better (like by adding the GTS engine, etc) what I am trying to suggest to you is that you are dreaming if you don't think making money drives ALL of these decisions and as long as BMW continues to build cars that set segment standards (well, at least the M3) then that is what they should be measured against... Not some idealistic "perfect" car that would be either not profitable for them or priced out of this segment. I guess what I'm really saying is that your expectations are not realistic and that the M3 is every bit the car it should have been to compete against other cars in it's segment.
While I understand the fact that BMW is out to make money(who isn't?)I'm only stating that they've lost focus of what BMW was really about. The love for driving. Porsche doesn't make any huge returns on the GT2, GT2 RS, GT3 and GT3 RS but they sell them and they have kept them true Porches through and through. BMW just wants money to give it's investors instead of taking that money and putting it back into the company and reinvesting and trying to keep BMW a BMW. Like I said, I love BMW and my family has gone through at least 10 BMW's within the past 10 years but ever since the e9x, they've lost sight of who they are. BMW doesn't have an answer for ANY of the big boys out there. Audi and Mercedes are BMW's BIGGEST competitors and they can produce cars like the R8 V10 and the SLS AMG but BMW can't? BS.
Appreciate 0