BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

What should I and should I not let my dealer do when taking delivery?

Just looking for any advice on what instructions I should give my dealer before I take delivery of my 2012 M3 in March/April. This will be my first "brand new" vehicle.

I've read some threads about how badly the dealer will f*ck up the paint with swirls and such. I certainly am not going to let them drill holes in the bumper for the license plate as I will use the tow hook method.

Any other dealer shenanigans I should watch out for with their pre-delivery prep? Thanks in advance!

-Travis
      12-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
viperssd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AW X7

Don't let them drill holes to mount the front license plate holder!
      12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Joy ride the car...
      12-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
bvernon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Convertible

Most dealers will deliver the car in good condition but if you're anal about your cars like most of us on the forum you'll want to "clean up" the car after delivery on your own. My dealer hand washed the car and removed 95% of the wax that's put on the car for shipping. I cleaned up what was left. One thing to make sure of is that they don't put any decals or badges on the car promoting the dealership, unless you like those things. Good luck and "enjoy" the wait........
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks for the input! Yeah, defs not letting them drill holes for the license plate. I'm thinking about making them leave the wrapping/paint protection shit on if I can lock down a reputable detailer in my area (Omaha blows). I don't have any detailing products, but then again this could be a great time to teach myself and get a starter kit. Hmm...
      12-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

dont buy all those extras the finance manager will try to sell you
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Don't let them drill holes in the front bumper, wash your car or sell you anything. Just get the car and leave. Come back only for required service/maintenance under warranty. Once the warranty is over..never go back ever again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
dont buy all those extras the finance manager will try to sell you

I understand that it is in their nature to be a bit pushy, but this was the most unpleasant part of my M3 acquisition process. Some people don't know how to take "No Thanks" for an answer. I have been very pleased with everyone at my dealership EXCEPT the finance manager - seriously I think this guy needs a crash course on client etiquette. The WORST was when he attempted to assume a condescending tone, when I declined his offers to "take advantage of competitive finance rates" and purchase XYZ Coverage Plan(s). He was like, "Hey I'm lookin' out for ya!"...ya right - he's lookin' out for his cut...I assured him that I am an extremely informed consumer and know perfectly well what I am doing and can manage without the "unique hassle-free benefits" provided by XYZ Coverage Plan(s).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

What about the blocks in the suspension? That's the only thing I'm considering having them do is take those out. Good advice on the finance part, btw. Thanks!
      12-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Don't let them drill holes in the front bumper, wash your car or sell you anything. Just get the car and leave. Come back only for required service/maintenance under warranty. Once the warranty is over..never go back ever again.

Many dealers will not let you take the car without being "prepped" with washing etc
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I just talked to a service rep at my dealer, and I will also call the manager on Monday to confirm this...but the rep said that they do a check on the car's computer and electronics, make sure all the fluids are good and then detail it. He said there's absolutely no problem with bypassing the detail process if desired. I will inquire further about the other checks when I talk to the manager. I think I'll just have them do the computer/electronic checks, then taking the car and dip out.
      12-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I gotta say BMW of Mount Laurel did a pretty good job prepping my car. I know a good detail when I see one and have been detailing my own cars for years. My car looked good. I think what helped tremendously is the fact my CA has a E93 M3. So he knew what to do inside and out. I had none of the usual delivery issues whatsoever. EXCEPT I was mildly bothered that my car had 11 miles on it at delivery. My 2008 only had 4 miles on it at delivery. I'm over it now. All the above posters advice is thoughtful and accurate.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I gotta say BMW of Mount Laurel did a pretty good job prepping my car. I know a good detail when I see one and have been detailing my own cars for years. My car looked good. I think what helped tremendously is the fact my CA has a E93 M3. So he knew what to do inside and out. I had none of the usual delivery issues whatsoever. EXCEPT I was mildly bothered that my car had 11 miles on it at delivery. My 2008 only had 4 miles on it at delivery. I'm over it now. All the above posters advice is thoughtful and accurate.
I don't doubt some dealers do good jobs. However, I remember asking a sales rep at my dealer in Omaha how many M's they see and he said maybe 1 per year. They never did a great job washing my car after service appointments either. And I just found out that the one person I have a great relationship with, this cute woman in service, no longer works there. She is very intelligent and professional too. Sad to see her go.
      12-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
I just talked to a service rep at my dealer, and I will also call the manager on Monday to confirm this...but the rep said that they do a check on the car's computer and electronics, make sure all the fluids are good and then detail it. He said there's absolutely no problem with bypassing the detail process if desired. I will inquire further about the other checks when I talk to the manager. I think I'll just have them do the computer/electronic checks, then taking the car and dip out.
I'm going to be anal about my delivery too, so this is a good thread. I think I'm going to do the same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso View Post
They never did a great job washing my car after service appointments either.
This is another sign. My CA may be great, etc., but I've had instances where I've had to clean the interior of the 335i after they've had it. Not a good sign...
      12-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I took a military purchase which negated many of the common sales pitches that are thrown. I would ask them about floor mats. Mine were not available at delivery and needed to be sent later- specify the M logos. I also had them place the clear bra and tinting 35% before my final pick up. BMW Highlands Ranch did a great job overall.

I broke her in on a 1400 mi trip keeping below 100mph and 4500 rpm but still driven mildly hard. Manual states <105mph and <5500rpm. No problems other than the "service engine soon" light after 900 mi's which turned out to be an incompletely placed gas cap!! I love her and will post pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
I took a military purchase which negated many of the common sales pitches that are thrown. I would ask them about floor mats. Mine were not available at delivery and needed to be sent later- specify the M logos. I also had them place the clear bra and tinting 35% before my final pick up. BMW Highlands Ranch did a great job overall.

I broke her in on a 1400 mi trip keeping below 100mph and 4500 rpm but still driven mildly hard. Manual states <105mph and <5500rpm. No problems other than the "service engine soon" light after 900 mi's which turned out to be an incompletely placed gas cap!! I love her and will post pics soon.
Nice! Good to hear. I'm military and purchased mine through Pentagon in Germany, so I'm hoping that they don't throw all that extra sales stuff at me either. I'm gonna take a road trip up to IND as soon as I can to get my tint and some other stuff done. That should be close to 1200 miles.

They didn't charge you for the floor mats did they? What about the tint and clear bra? I don't think I'm gonna get clear bra though - just curious.

Thanks for the info and post those pics, yo!
      12-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #17
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Just talked to the Manager at my dealer a couple days ago. He's very cool about the whole process. He said basically they run QC on it, make sure fluids are good and gas it up and then wash it for me. He said no problem at all if I want to have them leave the paint protection stuff/plastic wraps on and not wash it.

He stressed that they do not do any paperwork with me at all, making it sound like they won't even talk to me about extras...so that is good news! And he also stressed that he cannot give me transit tags, so to make sure that I have the car registered with tags when I pick it up (which I was on top of anyways).

Forgot to ask him about floor mats, but I'll take care of it at delivery if they are missing.
      12-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #18
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Don't let them detail, get one afterwards. I agree with not letting them drill the bumper.

Also, make sure they took the shipping blocks out of the suspension. They forget sometimes. I wouldn't let them fill up myself, I've heard stories of dealers just putting in 87, but that's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Don't let them detail, get one afterwards. I agree with not letting them drill the bumper.

Also, make sure they took the shipping blocks out of the suspension. They forget sometimes. I wouldn't let them fill up myself, I've heard stories of dealers just putting in 87, but that's up to you.
Thanks! Yeah, passing on the detail and the manager is already aware of the others you mentioned (including the fuel). I think I'll be good to go.
      02-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

this may sound stupid, but where do you put the front license plate if you don't drill holes in it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpan08 View Post
this may sound stupid, but where do you put the front license plate if you don't drill holes in it. Thanks
Never a stupid question, man. Here you go!
http://www.gominigo.com/BMW.html
      02-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieso
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpan08 View Post
Never a stupid question, man. Here you go!
http://www.gominigo.com/BMW.html
Wow. Thanks a lot. Just recently put in an order for my M3. Thats great info that I should have them drill holes into my car
Appreciate 0