BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Angry wheel spacers kicking up road grime!

I've had my MS spacers (12/15) for about a month now. Got my M detailed today after seemingly weeks of monsoon rains here, and I was royally pissed to see the amount of road tar and debris that has been kicked up and plastered onto my rear fender and front sideskirt!! I got home and spent an hour picking that crap off with my thumbnail and a diaper, and still didn't get it all off. I never had this problem before over the last year. I had heard that the wider offset would kick up more tire junk, but this is riduculous. Is this just what you have to put up with with the spacers? I was thinking about doing clear-bra wrap over those areas but I wonder if it's too late--already "contaminated". How do others deal with this?

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
the///Mthree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
I've had my MS spacers (12/15) for about a month now. Got my M detailed today after seemingly weeks of monsoon rains here, and I was royally pissed to see the amount of road tar and debris that has been kicked up and plastered onto my rear fender and front sideskirt!! I got home and spent an hour picking that crap off with my thumbnail and a diaper, and still didn't get it all off. I never had this problem before over the last year. I had heard that the wider offset would kick up more tire junk, but this is riduculous. Is this just what you have to put up with with the spacers? I was thinking about doing clear-bra wrap over those areas but I wonder if it's too late--already "contaminated". How do others deal with this?
This was after you had the car detailed? Sounds like u need a new detailer.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

How did you manage to come to the conclusion that it's the spacers? Would this not be the same for cars with a flushed offset? I agree that you should look into how your car was detailed or what was used. Doesn't seem like it's the spacers problem.
      12-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

With spacers, it's inevitable. I had the same problem. But regular sealant and wax makes it very easy to clean off dirt and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I don't have spacers yet, but if in deed spacers are going to get more crap on the lower area's of the rear bumper and side skirts then clear bra or x-pel plastic will for sure protect the paint and make it easier to keep clean. I've got X-pel on about 50% of my front end, doors, CF roof and it's super easy to keep clean and the paint job looking new.

If I go with spacers, I'm probably going to get those area's covered as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm going to throw a wrench in this one. I hate spacers. I put them on my car and the stance looks awesome but it ruins the dynamic of the car, creates vibration and kicks up dirt as you have noticed. Mine are coming off after 2 weeks. The answer is wheels with a better offset and wider. Spacers suck. Any purist will tell you that spacers are strictly for looks not function.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamie92m3 View Post
I'm going to throw a wrench in this one. I hate spacers. I put them on my car and the stance looks awesome but it ruins the dynamic of the car, creates vibration and kicks up dirt as you have noticed. Mine are coming off after 2 weeks. The answer is wheels with a better offset and wider. Spacers suck. Any purist will tell you that spacers are strictly for looks not function.
Spacers are strictly for looks, and pushing the wheels out does cause more debris to be kicked up on the side of your car. However there shouldn't be any kind of vibration associated with them.
      12-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Stock is already bad enough, especially without any kind of 'mud guards'. I can imagine how bad is with spacers, plus all the other minuses. Put it back to stock man. Function over form; it's an M3 .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Put it back to stock man. Function over form; it's an M3 .
Say it louder please.
      01-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

you guys are right-

here is my car with 20mm front spacers- They fling lots of stuff up onto the front doors see behind my drivers front wheel
Attached Images

01-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamie92m3 View Post
lol. Vibration could be caused from a few things:

-Dirty/rusty hubs that weren't cleaned properly before installing the spacer

-Dirty/rusty rotor face. This will create an un-even surface for the spacer to press up against

-non- hub centric spacers being used

-alignment

-wheel balancing

I have been using high quality hub centric spacers on my cars for the last 10 years, with ZERO vibration, ever. I have used 5mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm, 30mm and 30mm adapters- all with no issues whatsoever.

As for spacers being strictly for looks, that is not entirely true. Many people use them to clear big brake upgrades, different tire sizes, or to correct wheel offset.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
As for spacers being strictly for looks, that is not entirely true. Many people use them to clear big brake upgrades, different tire sizes, or to correct wheel offset.
or to put a cool 'stanceworks' picture for your signature lol