BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

06-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Canadian Ownership Group Buys Mosport International Raceway

Canadian Motorsport Ventures Ltd., established by famed Canadian racer Ron Fellows, transportation industry leader, Alan Boughton, and real-estate developer Carlo Fidani, today announced the company’s purchase of Mosport International Raceway. Taking over from the Panoz Motor Sports Group, the new owners will build on Mosport’s storied history and respected reputation to create new and exciting opportunities for race fans, corporate partners and drivers on an international scale.

Recognized as Canada’s Home of Motorsports, Mosport is the country’s largest automotive performance and racing facility, and has hosted almost every class of road racing on its famed 3.96 km circuit, including Formula 1, IndyCar, sports cars, stock cars, endurance racing, motorcycles, motocross, showroom stock, historic vintage racers, “Big Rig” trucks and karts. Under the new leadership, Myles Brandt will continue to serve in his role as President and General Manager at the facility.

“We want to thank the Panoz Motor Sports Group for making Mosport what it is today – a world class racing venue that hosts some of North America’s best road racing series and a place of inspiration for generations of racers in Canada,” said Alan Boughton, Managing Partner, Canadian Motorsport Ventures, Ltd. “We are excited to pour our racing passion and business expertise into Mosport and look forward to working together with local government and tourism authorities to take this historic race facility to the next level in delivering the best excitement and entertainment motor racing has to offer.”

The new leadership team brings a renewed focus, fresh thinking, and a strong vision on how to maximize the potential of Mosport. Over the next 18 months, they will look at all aspects of improving the facility to deliver the high calibre racing experience that fans, sponsors, teams and drivers want, including the construction of a new events and meeting facility. The new owners will utilize their unique areas of strength and knowledge to guide Mosport into the future:

■Ron Fellows – Canadian racing legend with a distinguished racing record and a deep relationship with Mosport, which started at the age of eleven where he attended his first race. Mosport is also where Ron won his first Drivers Championship, first Trans AM Series victory, first prototype sports cars win, three straight class victories in the American Le Mans Series, and most recently in 2010, a series victory in SCCA World Challenge in Mosport’s 50th anniversary year.
■Alan Boughton – President and Managing Partner of Trailcon Leasing and a long-time classic car enthusiast and restorer with a passion for racing.
■Carlo Fidani – Chairman and CEO of Orlando Corporation and an accomplished businessman who brings a wealth of development insight and experience to Mosport.

“Myles and his staff have done an extraordinary job with Mosport,” said Don Panoz, founder of the Panoz Motor Sports Group. “There is no deeper racing tradition or racing history in Canada than what exists here. I am personally very gratified that we have been able to help this crown jewel grow and improve for both racers and fans and I am very happy to now turn it over to a group that loves this place as much as I do. And I want to say a special thank you to Ron Fellows, who has always been a true gentleman, champion and the greatest representative of Canadian racing that I have known. The fact that he is now one of the owners of Mosport is a dream come true for both of us.”

Panoz also owns the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón, which returns to Mosport for their only north-of-the-border stop, July 21-24, as part of the Mobil 1 presents The Grand Prix of Mosport – Canada’s biggest sports car race of the year.

“We could not be more pleased to be returning Mosport back to Canadian ownership and stewardship,” said Scott Atherton, president and CEO of Panoz Motor Sports Group. “The new owners represent the best possible combination of top quality business professionals, enthusiasts and resources. Canadian race fans have a lot of very positive things to look forward to at Mosport. And we will look forward to bringing the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrόn back to Mosport for many years to come.”

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep
Drives: 540 RWHP

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Hopefully they will actually put some money in to it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep

I wonder if we will see anything with RON and DEI...Ron did run the Glen last year for them....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Hopefully they will actually put some money in to it
I think this is a very good thing for the future of Mosport.I know 2 of these guys and they will bring Mosport into the modern era of trackside amenities.

Quote:
He is known as the Mayor of Mosport, partially because of his mastery of one of the World’s most difficult race tracks and partially for his deep affection for the place. It is fitting then that he is part of a Canadian group which has just purchased the famed property from American owner, Don Panoz.

Canadian Motorsport Ventures Ltd. is made up of Fellows, Allan Broughton of Trailcon Leasing and Carlo Fidani of the Orlando Corporation.

From the press release:
The new leadership team brings a renewed focus, fresh thinking, and a strong vision on how to maximize the potential of Mosport. Over the next 18 months, they will look at all aspects of improving the facility to deliver the high calibre racing experience that fans, sponsors, teams and drivers want, including the construction of a new events and meeting facility. The new owners will utilize their unique areas of strength and knowledge to guide Mosport into the future

That is not to say that the place has languished during Panoz’s tenure. To the contrary, the track itself has undergone a complete transformation to modern standards. The track was widened and larger run off areas were created along with the addition of more fan safety measures. The popular Driver Development Track and kart track were developed and have thrived. The infrastructure however has fallen behind what is expected at a modern sports facility. CMV promises to address those issues.

“Myles and his staff have done an extraordinary job with Mosport,” said Don Panoz, founder of the Panoz Motor Sports Group. “There is no deeper racing tradition or racing history in Canada than what exists here. I am personally very gratified that we have been able to help this crown jewel grow and improve for both racers and fans and I am very happy to now turn it over to a group that loves this place as much as I do. And I want to say a special thank you to Ron Fellows, who has always been a true gentleman, champion and the greatest representative of Canadian racing that I have known. The fact that he is now one of the owners of Mosport is a dream come true for both of us.”

While he has never left, the Mayor of Mosport has returned!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWEAPON View Post
I wonder if we will see anything with RON and DEI...Ron did run the Glen last year for them....
Nope he ran with Tommy Baldwins team car #36 I believe.They did have a DEI development engine though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep

We might see the Ron Fellows...Corvette Driving School...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWEAPON View Post
We might see the Ron Fellows...Corvette Driving School...
Hmmm!I must not say anything!I must not say anything!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Hmmm!I must not say anything!I must not say anything!
Really....U just did
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Don Panoz on the sale of the track & future plans.

http://americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15817
Appreciate 0