BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #67
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the continued info on the retrofit, aajami. I still wish we could gather more information on this:

Front: are the struts dimensionally identical, including the lower spring perch? Tom seemed to suggest that they are, but you seem to say that the lower perches are lower?

If they are dimensionally identical, then the lowering is completely due to the spring, most likely a shorter spring which results in less pre-compression = lower normal position. The springs could also be slightly stiffer but not by much; otherwise it would offset the the lowering effect of the shorter spring.

Rear: obviously it is a non-coil over, therefore all lowering is achieved by the spring. Question is: are the rear shocks dimensionally identical too? What about the bump stops and upper shock mount? Can you confirm?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

After giving all of this some thought...it does appear to me that the OP retrofitted mechanical parts for the USDM ZCP components to his non ZCP car. But there is still that last bit of EDC programing that is part of the ZCP package that is left out...Now whether one can really tell the difference between the different EDC settings (non-ZCP vs ZCP) on street driving remains to be confirmed.
I wonder why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP set up in the US like the one that was offered in Japan, that would have given them more of a margin, unless the ZCP EDC is really that much better for the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #69
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
After giving all of this some thought...it does appear to me that the OP retrofitted mechanical parts for the USDM ZCP components to his non ZCP car. But there is still that last bit of EDC programing that is part of the ZCP package that is left out...Now whether one can really tell the difference between the different EDC settings (non-ZCP vs ZCP) on street driving remains to be confirmed.
I wonder why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP set up in the US like the one that was offered in Japan, that would have given them more of a margin, unless the ZCP EDC is really that much better for the car.
There is a small article on BMW Mpower website re the ZCP / Competition EDC settings. I recall that standard EDC modes are fixed whereas for the Competition they are dynamic like in the Jaguar XFR model. I would assume therefore, that the difference would be noticeable on bumpy roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #70
///m325i
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

i would have bought aftermarket coils instead...just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #71
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
There is a small article on BMW Mpower website re the ZCP / Competition EDC settings. I recall that standard EDC modes are fixed whereas for the Competition they are dynamic like in the Jaguar XFR model. I would assume therefore, that the difference would be noticeable on bumpy roads.
I don't think that's what DCC is asking, Anthony. Firstly, only the Sport EDC setting is static on non-ZCP cars. Normal and Comfort are dynamic. On ZCP cars, however, the Sport EDC setting was changed so that it too was dynamic. Normal and Comfort remained unchanged.

As for why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP suspension outside of Japan, that's anyone's guess. Roads in Germany are as good as those in Japan, so concerns around the quality of the ride in other countries probably wasn't the only reason. Who knows...
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #72
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
It didn't even run me $2K, let alone $3K.
oo

Curious what it really did run

Would one be able to use the ZCP Springs?

I may do Dinan... but honestly I don't want to drop much... but would like increased handling and a subtle drop
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #73
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Sweet pics!

Looks like you got lucky to find that parking stop at 85C in Irvine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Sweet pics!

Looks like you got lucky to find that parking stop at 85C in Irvine.
You know, I have this weird knack of always landing that spot. Here are a few more instances:

Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #75
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

aajami

Thanks for the thread, you gave me most of the answers i was looking for.

Question. Are you going to upgrade your front and rear sway bars as well and which once are you going to get? If not, then why are you staying with stock sway bars?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #76
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
aajami

Thanks for the thread, you gave me most of the answers i was looking for.

Question. Are you going to upgrade your front and rear sway bars as well and which once are you going to get? If not, then why are you staying with stock sway bars?

Thanks again.
I have no plans on upgrading the sway bars. I drive exclusively on the street, and my current stock setup is overkill for 90% of the driving that I do (don't ask about the other 10% ).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #77
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
oo

Curious what it really did run

Would one be able to use the ZCP Springs?

I may do Dinan... but honestly I don't want to drop much... but would like increased handling and a subtle drop
Have trawled through the whole sub-section of suspension|brakes|chassis and cant find the spring rates for ZCP springs.. I guess ultimately how much of a 'mis-match' they would be for EDC dampers (in the context of E90 ZCP springs say for an E90 using non-ZCP EDC dampers)
      09-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #78
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
You know, I have this weird knack of always landing that spot. Here are a few more instances:

I saw you there that day... I remember checking out your M3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #79
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Not side-by-side, unfortunately (unless Tom @ EAS snapped some). The main difference that I noticed was the spring perches on the front struts were a bit lower on the assembly than the standard struts.
This is not true, the spring perch is at the same place. but the shaft is 12mm shorter on the ZCP front ones, for the rear the shaft is 6mm shorter
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #80
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

So is there a final part list and cost for the zcp edc springs and struts and shocks? You alluded that the cost was under 2k where did you buy them? I went on Ticher and it comes out as more. Please PM to discuss further if you don't want to post. Thanks! I want to add and do the coding with ZCP for EDC and ESP.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #81
spr
Major
Rep

So looks like springs are only 10mm less so less than 1/2". I am debating just flashing the edc with ZCP software as well as euro mdm and call it a day...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #82
spr
Major
Rep

Anyone have specs on difference of the actual zcp v. non zcp edc shocks and struts, e.g. physical outside differences or valving?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #83
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
So looks like springs are only 10mm less so less than 1/2". I am debating just flashing the edc with ZCP software as well as euro mdm and call it a day...
I did the ZCP EDC flash and Euro MDM from Mike. I did not get to test the Euro MDM since there are threads covering that topic already.

For the ZCP EDC, right after flash the whole car feels firmer than before for all the settings. I think this might be done to offset the slightly lowered right height so that the car won't bounce too much and hit the bump stop too often (my theory). Even thought the whole suspension is stiffer, it is still compliant for small bumps, and now even the Sport EDC is smoother over small bumps unlike the non-ZCP EDC fixed value which is stiff all the time.

The ZCP EDC is different for E90 E92 and E93.

I actually got a full set of E90 ZCP suspension, thinking they might be same for E92 but since the part number and software is different, I think I am going to sell them and get the E92 set instead.

What I think, the ZCP EDC makes the non-ZCP EDC one stiffness grade higher for Comfort and Normal while adding compliance for Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #84
spr
Major
Rep

Nice. However, did you also flash the other systems other than mdm? Or is that all it needs? I plan on doing the same today. Also how much stiff is comfort? Is everything really one button click up now? The streets around downtown san diego are aweful and I don't drive it on anything but comfort! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #85
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Nice. However, did you also flash the other systems other than mdm? Or is that all it needs? I plan on doing the same today. Also how much stiff is comfort? Is everything really one button click up now? The streets around downtown san diego are aweful and I don't drive it on anything but comfort! Thanks.
The update took a few minutes so I don't think you need to update any other systems. MDM and ZCP-EDC is standalone updates.

I would say after the ZCP-EDC update, new comfort becomes the old normal, new normal becomes the old sport, and the new sport is slightly stiffer than the old sport with better road compliance.

If road condition is bad, you're going to get a bit more harsh ride for sure. Afterall, ZCP stands for Z Competition Package, not putting comfort as a requirement.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #86
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92M3C View Post
The update took a few minutes so I don't think you need to update any other systems. MDM and ZCP-EDC is standalone updates.

I would say after the ZCP-EDC update, new comfort becomes the old normal, new normal becomes the old sport, and the new sport is slightly stiffer than the old sport with better road compliance.

If road condition is bad, you're going to get a bit more harsh ride for sure. Afterall, ZCP stands for Z Competition Package, not putting comfort as a requirement.

I've been running mine with the Comp pack settings for awhile and it feels great. A bit more sporty however.

Nice seeing you again, hope you enjoy the new features.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #87
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

I've been running mine with the Comp pack settings for awhile and it feels great. A bit more sporty however.

Nice seeing you again, hope you enjoy the new features.

Thanks Mike to make the ZCP EDC update possible!

By the way, I was testing the mirror folding feature and I found out that if I (with Convenience Package) touch the door handle to lock for 2 seconds (like holding keyfob) the car would first lock and then the mirrors will fold! I don't have to even take out the key!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #88
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92M3C View Post
I did the ZCP EDC flash and Euro MDM from Mike. I did not get to test the Euro MDM since there are threads covering that topic already.

For the ZCP EDC, right after flash the whole car feels firmer than before for all the settings. I think this might be done to offset the slightly lowered right height so that the car won't bounce too much and hit the bump stop too often (my theory). Even thought the whole suspension is stiffer, it is still compliant for small bumps, and now even the Sport EDC is smoother over small bumps unlike the non-ZCP EDC fixed value which is stiff all the time.

The ZCP EDC is different for E90 E92 and E93.

I actually got a full set of E90 ZCP suspension, thinking they might be same for E92 but since the part number and software is different, I think I am going to sell them and get the E92 set instead.

What I think, the ZCP EDC makes the non-ZCP EDC one stiffness grade higher for Comfort and Normal while adding compliance for Sport mode.

Had the chance to test (by hand) the E90 E92 E93 EDC non ZCP shocks (front and rear) without any wire connected (i suppose the stiffest setting) .
From softer to stiffer: E92 E90 E93

Plus the E93 front strut piston is 10mm shorter as the E92 and E90. it has the same length as the ZCP non EDC E92 (1M) strut

No chance to get a ZCP E90 or E92 strut in my hands
Appreciate 0