BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
what would be the point of the CEL deleter then? all it will do is turn the dash light off, it won't fix the issue.
Well I'm misunderstood on how the system works then. I want to remove the primary cats, but not going to drop 1k+ for a tune on a car that is going back. So what options do I have? Thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #24
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I agree, but if HC & NOx are above passing levels in the first place, a light isn't going to help at all.

It's going about it a bit backwards since the visual is performed first - but I'm trying to look at the entire situation rather than focusing on one specific portion.
Well most states... Like in NY they just hook your car up to a computer to read check for any codes. They don't put it on a sniffer or really care about visual. If your 6 emissions related monitors all pass a readiness test then you pass inspection. Therefore the CEL deleter mentioned in this thread doesn't help you in NY or CA at least so there's really no point to it other than turning off the light. The light has absolutely no effect other than annoying the driver so why bother with the deleter?

Last edited by J08M3; 05-04-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Well I'm misunderstood on how the system works then. I want to remove the primary cats, but not going to drop 1k+ for a tune on a car that is going back. So what options do I have? Thanks.....
Not many if you need to worry about emissions for state inspection. You can do what I did which was pair the Akra with a xpipe that has HFC's that won't throw a CEL. Although I had a little mishap with that as well, since on my drive to get inspection the Fabspeed HFC"s I'm using (promised by Fabspeed not to throw a CEL) threw a CEL. So I failed the emissions part, had to clear the code, then drive for awhile including a cold start and re-took the emissions part at another shop and passed. I hear AA now offers an HFC that's supposed to not throw a CEL, not sure how that's working out for people. I guess that's the game you play when messing with emissions control systems
      05-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Well most states... Like in NY they just hook your car up to a computer to read check for any codes. They don't put it on a sniffer or really care about visual. If your 6 emissions related monitors all pass a readiness test then you pass inspection. Therefore the CEL deleter mentioned in this thread doesn't help you in NY or CA at least so there's really no point to it other than turning off the light. The light has absolutely no effect other than annoying the driver so why bother with the deleter?
I agree, CA is the same way - but remains connected via OBDII while sampling/dyno.

It depends on the primary intentions of the deleter - is it targeted as mainly a convenience option (firewalling the code) or truly simulating O2 operation?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #27
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
We don't have annual emission tests in Western Australia at least and I am not sure about the other states in the country. For me what's important is to find out how it does the job and not to compromise the integrity of the DME keeping in mind the warranty implications.

What I read from Check Captain's post is that it clears the code everytime it pops up. So if you do a 300km road trip, and if the CEL pops up every 30 odd km, then there alone 10 resets. Now at what detriment to the DME, and how much is this kept in the archive data so when there is a major issue with the engine, and as and when BMW read the data, is this info accessible.

I don't think I want a band aid solution to the CEL. I want something bulletproof and understand how it works to have a total peace of mind.

If I can do an engine tune as Andrew has so gentlemaly offered me without compromising the factory warranty I think that will be the best option.

But then the other question is, how is the software in the DME designed? Is the engine capable of functioning at its optimum with constantly redused reading below the accepted parameters.

I will be speaking with my technical manager today and get some answers. Will keep you posted.
      05-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #28
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Not many if you need to worry about emissions for state inspection. You can do what I did which was pair the Akra with a xpipe that has HFC's that won't throw a CEL. Although I had a little mishap with that as well, since on my drive to get inspection the Fabspeed HFC"s I'm using (promised by Fabspeed not to throw a CEL) threw a CEL. So I failed the emissions part, had to clear the code, then drive for awhile including a cold start and re-took the emissions part at another shop and passed. I hear AA now offers an HFC that's supposed to not throw a CEL, not sure how that's working out for people. I guess that's the game you play when messing with emissions control systems
I don't care about emissions, the car goes back before the sticker expires.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #29
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't care about emissions, the car goes back before the sticker expires.
Then you don't need to worry about anything. You can just put the system on and drive around with the CEL, it won't affect performance at all.
      05-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #30
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
What Service.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #31
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Then you don't need to worry about anything. You can just put the system on and drive around with the CEL, it won't affect performance at all.
Does the CEL cause limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Does the CEL cause limp mode?
Not in this case.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #33
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Like I explained already, I intentionally installed the Akra Evo without deleter to provoke CEL, which came up (like expected) at about 500km. Then I installed the deleter and the CEL was gone after about 5km. After now further 800km no more CEL. I also had the car checked at my BMW service today: NO visible codes!!!
I do not know about the exact readyness procedure, but if no code mean you pass the test, then you should have no problem

BTW -if Andrew will install a Akra for you, just ask him for the deleter. It is just plug and play and if you are not satisfied with it you still can go for a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
We don't have annual emission tests in Western Australia at least and I am not sure about the other states in the country. For me what's important is to find out how it does the job and not to compromise the integrity of the DME keeping in mind the warranty implications.

What I read from Check Captain's post is that it clears the code everytime it pops up. So if you do a 300km road trip, and if the CEL pops up every 30 odd km, then there alone 10 resets. Now at what detriment to the DME, and how much is this kept in the archive data so when there is a major issue with the engine, and as and when BMW read the data, is this info accessible.

I don't think I want a band aid solution to the CEL. I want something bulletproof and understand how it works to have a total peace of mind.

If I can do an engine tune as Andrew has so gentlemaly offered me without compromising the factory warranty I think that will be the best option.

But then the other question is, how is the software in the DME designed? Is the engine capable of functioning at its optimum with constantly redused reading below the accepted parameters.

I will be speaking with my technical manager today and get some answers. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #34
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep

So $450 just to delete the "CEL" priceless.....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #35
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
I do not know about the exact readyness procedure, but if no code mean you pass the test, then you should have no problem
The sensors read as N/A if they aren't up for the readiness test.... In many states this reading is an automatic fail.
      05-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #36
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
The sensors read as N/A if they aren't up for the readiness test.... In many states this reading is an automatic fail.
If they would read N/A, OBD would throw a code, which is not the case.
So obviously your readiness is the same like German "AU". The deleter equipped Evo systems do pass "AU" since there are no codes. But the best thing to know it finally is, that someone with deleter goes to the readiness test in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #37
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
If they would read N/A, OBD would throw a code, which is not the case.
So obviously your readiness is the same like German "AU". The deleter equipped Evo systems do pass "AU" since there are no codes. But the best thing to know it finally is, that someone with deleter goes to the readiness test in the US.
The thing is they read N/A immediately after you clear a code. It takes awhile (I'm really not sure how long) for them to be ready for a readiness test. In my case I had to drive about 100 miles, and let the car sit overnight for a cold start.
      08-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #38
harry7937
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I have my 2011 E92 M3 installed the Akrapovic full exhaust and add a "delete -R" since Oct.2011. Everything is fine except I encountered many time of Check engine light on and the car reduced the power from yesterday. I have to pull over then restart the engine then it back to normal. I brought it to dealer, but they can not find any problem via computer. Is that because the delete-R broke? Can anyone give me some help? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
1M_@teewhybs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [8.34]
Quote:
So $450 just to delete the "CEL" priceless.....
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #40
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

So with the CEL light deleted or hidden. Will other engine error codes still show up normally? Cause that's the worry. Normally I don't mind the light being on but then its confusing when there are other errors hence I want to delete the CEL light. But I don't want the R-delete to suppress other warnings.
      09-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #41
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien
So with the CEL light deleted or hidden. Will other engine error codes still show up normally? Cause that's the worry. Normally I don't mind the light being on but then its confusing when there are other errors hence I want to delete the CEL light. But I don't want the R-delete to suppress other warnings.
It should only clear specific error. I don't have any experience. If it does clear all errors then it will become a problem. Then having said that, some serious issues that throw error codes cannot be reset until they are fixed through new parts or other means. Hope someone can enlighten us here.
      09-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

That's my worry.
I can get a very cheap decat x-pipe (removes primary, secondary cats + the resonators) for very very little money here.
I've listen to this pipe and it produces a very nice sound compared to my OEM modded x-pipe.

And I just want to do it for the sound, not the remap.
But I need to figure out the issue with the CEL in case there are other errors.

09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #43
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

What about the new CA readiness test. Will any tune or CEL delete allow us to pass? Since there will be no sniffer test anymore
Appreciate 0