BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW CCA L.A. Chapter 1 Day HPDE @ Auto Club Speedway, Fontana. 05/04

$325.

Per BMW CCA operations rules, an instructor will be provided for EVERYONE. It's a great opportunity to experience a world-class track with an organization that has one of the best safety records anywhere, plus drivers of ALL skill levels can benefit from the in-car coaching available to all. Beginners, intermediate drivers, to advance track junkies can all learn something from our program.

BMW CCA Los Angeles Auto Club Speedway 1 Day DE, May 4th 2012

Price includes lunch. Garage is first come, first serve (there's about 20 garage spaces available to park 40 cars for participants). We will be running the Roval for the Friday event.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
The HACK
Rep

Hump day bump.

Early registration closes on Tax Day! Avoid paying an extra $24 by signing up early.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Why never a weekend event...?
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Why never a weekend event...?
We used to have weekend events all the time, up until last year actually. So long story short. We can't make Auto Club Speedway work for a 2 day, weekend event.

The long version. You can't just rent one weekend date from Auto Club Speedway. You have to rent both days. That means $33,000 up front just for the track rental. The simple math of it all, is that a single day rental cost the chapter ~$22,000, while a weekend rental cost about $55,000. That means to run a weekend, we'd have to charge participants about $650 per weekend to break even. At that price point, the participation goes way down and we end up losing money. The 2010 ACS weekend landed the chapter in the red to the tune of almost $10,000 due to various reasons.

We polled the membership base to see if there's anything we can do to make our events more attractive, and the majority responded about the price of the event. Last year is the first year where we split the 2 days up, and the only way to do that is to rent the track during the week where they allow single day rentals. The two one-day events at ACS last year was the first time in 5 years where we (the chapter) did not lose significant amount of money at ACS.

That's the long version of it anyway. What we've found is that the number(s) of participants we'd gain for the more reasonable pricing structure far outweighs the number(s) of participants we'd lose for not having it on the weekend. It's just the economics of things.

Our other track event this year, be it at Willow Springs or at another track, will be a weekend event.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

10-4

Re: the quote in your signature, lulz
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

I'm all signed up. Looking forward to it.

Chuckwalla with the CCA was fun and was run very well regardless of sandstorms and weather issues.

$325 isn't bad at all with all day instruction and lunch included. It's $200 for most events at AAA without instruction and with a more crowded track.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

HACK, have you guys looked at sharing a weekend with Audi or POC?
I try to make all the CCA event's, but it's sometimes tough on weekdays.

For anyone thinking about going, and never been out, it's a GREAT way to get started on the track. REALLY safe environment. Some of the faster guys may feel it's too safe, but that's how I prefer to run.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Uh oh, this is tempting.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
HACK, have you guys looked at sharing a weekend with Audi or POC?
I try to make all the CCA event's, but it's sometimes tough on weekdays.

For anyone thinking about going, and never been out, it's a GREAT way to get started on the track. REALLY safe environment. Some of the faster guys may feel it's too safe, but that's how I prefer to run.
We have approached both Audi club and POC multiple times. We may try again next year. For now there's too many hurdles to cross with CCA minimum rules regarding insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Uh oh, this is tempting.
If this will help tip you over...

Rumor has it, legendary NASCAR and BMW race car driver Boris Said will be in attendance at this event...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Uh oh, this is tempting.
You know you're in dude!!!
Got to work on my schedule now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
We have approached both Audi club and POC multiple times. We may try again next year. For now there's too many hurdles to cross with CCA minimum rules regarding insurance.
Thanks. I know Audi likes to run Spring Mountain, which would be cool to try.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
The HACK
Rep

Quote:

If we run Spring Mountain we wouldn't need to solicit other clubs to split the cost. Spring Mountain cost about 1/2 what Auto Club Speedway cost and the hotels are significantly cheaper too. We can charge $419 for the entire weekend and still break even with ~65 students.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

Spring Mountain looks awesome. They have a bunch of different layouts. I'll come if you have a weekend event there. Just as long as it isn't in the summer... it would be blistering.

Plus, I'd have an excuse to go to Vegas to "relax" for a few days after the weekend was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Spring Mountain looks awesome. They have a bunch of different layouts. I'll come if you have a weekend event there. Just as long as it isn't in the summer... it would be blistering.

Plus, I'd have an excuse to go to Vegas to "relax" for a few days after the weekend was done.
If we do Spring Mountain it'll likely be one of the later months, in either October or November in place of our usual WSIR school.

After the May school I'll probably ask Delight to send out an email to the general population and those on the email distro to gauge interest in Spring Mountain. If we get enough interested parties, like at least 40 respondents to the email, then I'll go ahead and start the inquiry. So, if you get an email from Constant Contact from BMW CCA LA events, make sure to vote YES on the survey re Spring Mountain.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do they have hotels around Spring Mountain, of do most drive out from Vegas, which I think is about an hour away?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
The HACK
Rep

Yes, or you can stay in the condos on site at the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

On-site condos? Ha ha... that just sounds ridiculous to me. Do they have a jacuzzi looking over the track too? I'm in for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep

I just looked and apparently they have a shooting range and a putting green as well... Autoclub Speedway needs an upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Maybe I can come out..

Question - How many run groups are there? How many people? (Just trying to see how much track time we get)
      04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Maybe I can come out..

Question - How many run groups are there? How many people? (Just trying to see how much track time we get)
Typically we run 4 run groups with 4 sessions each of 25 minutes. Each run-group consists of anywhere between 15-25 cars.

I'm playing with the numbers to see if I can squeeze in an additional session for the A and B groups by combining them at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

HACK, how did Big Willow go last year in terms of getting enough people? I know it was late in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Maybe I can come out..

It would be great to see your car.
Just keep in mind there's an instructor in each car, so you'll have to show the instructor your skills before they let you loose. Some people didn't like it who were used to running themselves on the track. Some people don't like that, but you will get excellent instruction.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
You know you're in dude!!!
Got to work on my schedule now.

Ha ha, you're right. I'm probably going to just sign up. My brother is going to be there after all. I guess the pressure is on you now.
Appreciate 0