BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Mporium BMW

04-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

More racing + more manufactures + more countries = more excitement! I'm in! Bring it to the US!

That said; I do wish more racing was "closer to stock" and car specs were limited to things like safety, tires, overall engine size (for both petrol and hybrids) and weight (min & max). Beyond that, let each manufacturer and team innovate their way to the podium. IMHO, that will create real exciting competition that benefits the fans as well as consumers when the winning technology ends up in our everyday car. Then manufactures can claim they are better on any given race day because they really are better. Spending millions sponsoring a team driving cars that have nearly nothing in common with a production car (not even the silhouette) is not a manufacture's championship. It's a driver and team championship. This is what has happened to NASCAR and NHRA in the US. For me, neither of those series are as interesting to watch anymore. However, being at those races with a pit pass and a camera with a lens as long as my forearm is still exciting!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Use to be, long time ago.

Now it is just glorified spec racing.
This. DTM is basically the German version of NASCAR, at least in terms of how the cars are put together. Still, I'd much rather watch this than NASCAR. I'd rather watch a goldfish bowl than NASCAR.
Isn't DTM where they all have the same engine/chassis/tires and the only difference is how each team tunes their cars? The shells reflect the manufacturers but the cars are the same...
      04-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
This. DTM is basically the German version of NASCAR, at least in terms of how the cars are put together. Still, I'd much rather watch this than NASCAR. I'd rather watch a goldfish bowl than NASCAR.
True dat.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 f80 M3 '13 f25 x3 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I would love to see this come to USA. Bring it to circuit of America Austin.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
mcjeremiah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
[QUOTE=Kyle B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Use to be, long time ago.

Now it is just glorified spec racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Who do you think is orchestrating this whole thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

They raced DTM here last year. Not a full series. This is good news.
IU'll be at the ALMS in a few weeks at laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I'm really disappointed they're cutting the ties with European LeMans. But since costs of development and variety of the cars in ALMS is the problem, more spec racing (less classes, less variety in classes) such as Super GT and DTM will have to do.

I will be attend 2 ALMS races this year, and will really miss this series and it's ties to LeMans. Go RLL.

If you're not aware, DTM and Super GT cars are more similar to NASCAR and Australian V8 SuperCars (cars with lots of similar mechanics, but different sillohette) than the LeMans cars. Which is a shame.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
What a shame, I'll really miss the LeMans LMP cars, and the variety ALMS offers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #31
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I'm really disappointed they're cutting the ties with European LeMans. But since costs of development and variety of the cars in ALMS is the problem, more spec racing (less classes, less variety in classes) such as Super GT and DTM will have to do.

I will be attend 2 ALMS races this year, and will really miss this series and it's ties to LeMans. Go RLL.

If you're not aware, DTM and Super GT cars are more similar to NASCAR and Australian V8 SuperCars (cars with lots of similar mechanics, but different sillohette) than the LeMans cars. Which is a shame.
Luckily I will be be able to see ALMS and WEC at Circuit of Americas this year.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
The Falcodore's would be eaten alive. Recall what happened when Godzilla featured back in 91?
Not really there is a huge difference between what's being raced now and what was raced then. The R32 GTR also killed the E30 M3, RS500 and 190 Evo II, Nissan took the rules to the limit and won.

What I'd like to see is a return to production based touring cars, and I don't mean those daft little 1.6 turbos raced in the WTCC, what I'd like to see is manufacturers having to build a series of car homologated for racing, we got some awesome cars built for racing in the 80's.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #33
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
Isn't DTM where they all have the same engine/chassis/tires and the only difference is how each team tunes their cars? The shells reflect the manufacturers but the cars are the same...
I think the engines are still made by each manufacturer, otherwise what would be the point?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Costs a lot of money to ship the ALMS cars/team over for LeMans and since BMWNA has to foot the bill (not BMW AG), it won't happen.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Costs a lot of money to ship the ALMS cars/team over for LeMans and since BMWNA has to foot the bill (not BMW AG), it won't happen.
yeah, $2 million per team was the last time I read something regarding cost of running that single 24 hour race.
Appreciate 0