BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

11-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Kind of off topic but... Technic, any word on when BMW might start offering the BMW apps upgrade for us 2011.5 builds with the combox? Always heard this fall and my dealer is clueless.
I do not think that it will happen any time soon unless there is also the 6NF baseplate installed in your car as well. They have not done the 6NR FSC yet so even then it looks like a pretty long wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #24
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Ok, thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Any idea how I can do this? my car was produced Aug 2010 2011 model year car.
      11-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
Any idea how I can do this? my car was produced Aug 2010 2011 model year car.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548623
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #27
Fast H
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 MDCT '11 -Individual-

Hi guys,

hope i'm in the right place for this question but the following occurs:

I wanted to use the Internet connection (option I paid for) in my E93 M3 '11 (delivery august) found out that tetthering had to be enabled did that on my Iphone 4 and internet worked just fine.

Now after the update to OS 5 it seems that the media cradle can not connect with my Iphone since I don't get the message on the screen of my Iphone that a personal hotspot is active.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and how can I solve it?

I have done the test with my PC and Iphone (tetthering enabled) to be sure it's nothing else.

Hope u guys have some answers :-)

Grtz,

Hendrick
      11-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #28
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Which iPhone version is this?

Try the iPhone connected directly to the USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast H View Post
Hi guys,

hope i'm in the right place for this question but the following occurs:

I wanted to use the Internet connection (option I paid for) in my E93 M3 '11 (delivery august) found out that tetthering had to be enabled did that on my Iphone 4 and internet worked just fine.

Now after the update to OS 5 it seems that the media cradle can not connect with my Iphone since I don't get the message on the screen of my Iphone that a personal hotspot is active.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and how can I solve it?

I have done the test with my PC and Iphone (tetthering enabled) to be sure it's nothing else.

Hope u guys have some answers :-)

Grtz,

Hendrick
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #29
Fast H
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which iPhone version is this?

Try the iPhone connected directly to the USB port.
Iphone 4 with software version 5.0.1 (9A405)

Will try both USB ports tonight.

Thx,

Hendrick
      11-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #30
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

To be clear, using a personal hotspot with the car has no bearing on using the cradle or the USB connection. The connection is established through bluetooth. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

One thing I've noticed with the iPhone internet tethering with the BMW is .... for whatever reason, you need to be on the Personal Hotspot screen on the iPhone for the car to open up a connection with the phone. Otherwise it won't work.

On my Mac, it doesn't matter ... but with the BMW, the iPhone has to be on the hotspot screen. Once the connection is established, you can do whatever you want on the phone then ... start BMW connected app, pandora, etc.

Not sure if this is a bug in the iPhone software, or BMW bug. I did log the bug with Apple ... so maybe it gets addressed in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #31
Fast H
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
To be clear, using a personal hotspot with the car has no bearing on using the cradle or the USB connection. The connection is established through bluetooth. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

One thing I've noticed with the iPhone internet tethering with the BMW is .... for whatever reason, you need to be on the Personal Hotspot screen on the iPhone for the car to open up a connection with the phone. Otherwise it won't work.

On my Mac, it doesn't matter ... but with the BMW, the iPhone has to be on the hotspot screen. Once the connection is established, you can do whatever you want on the phone then ... start BMW connected app, pandora, etc.

Not sure if this is a bug in the iPhone software, or BMW bug. I did log the bug with Apple ... so maybe it gets addressed in the future.
Thx for the reply!

Didn't know that the connection is made thru bluetooth.

This changes everything since I always hooked my phone up 2 the cradle thinking it's thru USB the connection.

So as I understand the above it seems I have to activate bluetooth on the phone and activate tetthering and wait for a connection before I plug it in.

Grtz,

Hendrick
      11-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #32
Fast H
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

U where right connection is made thru Bluetooth, when starting up internet on i-drive it makes connection. Afterwards u can startup apps and plug it into the cradle. Thx again for the explenation!

Grtz,
Hendrick
      11-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #33
ins1dez
iN dA cLuB
Romania
Rep
Drives: E90

Does this replace the bluetooth module?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #34
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Once your iDrive/Combox are set for BMW Online/BMW Live then:

- pair your phone to the Combox thru Bluetooth.
- set your phone tethering for Bluetooth data transfer

Once that is done the Combox takes over and routes all iDrive Internet requests thru your phone. The iDrive software interfaces with the requests so you have control over what is shown and what can be selected on the screen, full OEM GUI.

The BMW Live gives you a subset of Google Maps features, business business search, local weather and RSS feeds access. This is a comparable service (but free) to the USA BMW Search feature ($199 a year), which provides Google business search, gas prices, local weather, Bloomberg stock ticker, CNN news and the capability of sending your location by email to anybody.

BMW Online is actually a browser so you can go to any website.
Sorry to dredge this up, but I'm a bit foggy on this (still).

Can you recap the steps, once again? Assume I want to use BMW Live, which is free, right? As well as Google A-Z and full browser.

At this point, I have an iPhone 4, paired with the car for BT (phone only), and also use the Media Cradle for Plugin. I'm still unclear on how to set the iPhone4 for Bluetooth data tethering.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Sorry to dredge this up, but I'm a bit foggy on this (still).

Can you recap the steps, once again? Assume I want to use BMW Live, which is free, right? As well as Google A-Z and full browser.

At this point, I have an iPhone 4, paired with the car for BT (phone only), and also use the Media Cradle for Plugin. I'm still unclear on how to set the iPhone4 for Bluetooth data tethering.
Hi Sam... assuming that you got BMW Live from forum vendor BimmerTech (it is not available from factory in the USA), and that you are paying for the Hotspot plan thru your cell provider, the steps are:

- pair iPhone to car
- enable Data Transfer via Bluetooth in your iDrive: iDrive > Telephone > Configure Phone > Data Transfer via Bluetooth > ON
- enable Hotspot in your iPhone: Settings > Personal Hotspot > ON (in my Verizon iPhone WiFi has to be enabled as well, although the phone itself does not state that it is required for Hotspot to work)
- go to iDrive > ConnectedDrive > BMW Online > OK

That should make your iPhone to tether Internet data to the Combox and you will be connected to BMW Live.

These steps are also explained in detail by BimmerTech with purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Hi Sam... assuming that you got BMW Live from forum vendor BimmerTech (it is not available from factory in the USA), and that you are paying for the Hotspot plan thru your cell provider, the steps are:

- pair iPhone to car
- enable Data Transfer via Bluetooth in your iDrive: iDrive > Telephone > Configure Phone > Data Transfer via Bluetooth > ON
- enable Hotspot in your iPhone: Settings > Personal Hotspot > ON (in my Verizon iPhone WiFi has to be enabled as well, although the phone itself does not state that it is required for Hotspot to work)
- go to iDrive > ConnectedDrive > BMW Online > OK

That should make your iPhone to tether Internet data to the Combox and you will be connected to BMW Live.

These steps are also explained in detail by BimmerTech with purchase.
Thank you.

I do not have the BMW Live feature via BimmerTech, but I will reach out to him/them.

I also incorrectly assumed via post #10 that the tethering could be accomplished via Bluetooth, with no additional AT&T/Verizon tethering plan required. Since I don't have the tethering service with AT&T (and likely won't get it now, since I would lose my Unlimited Data plan), this may not be a good road to go down.

EDIT: looks like you need an AT&T tethering plan, even to tether via Bluetooth.

Last edited by SamS; 12-29-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #37
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Technic: I noticed in the OP that what looks like the black antennae Fakra connector to the right side, with the purple connector to the left of it. Is that correct or am I being tricked by the fuzzy image.

I'm having trouble connecting my combox telematics and I'm not sure which way these 2 plugs should sit.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
Technic: I noticed in the OP that what looks like the black antennae Fakra connector to the right side, with the purple connector to the left of it. Is that correct or am I being tricked by the fuzzy image.

I'm having trouble connecting my combox telematics and I'm not sure which way these 2 plugs should sit.
There are two Fakra antenna connectors and 2 LVDS USB connectors in the Combox.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #39
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Technic,

Do you lose the ability to send location to the car via Google Maps by retrofitting to Combox (for those of us with a 2009 CIC)?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Technic,

Do you lose the ability to send location to the car via Google Maps by retrofitting to Combox (for those of us with a 2009 CIC)?
If you retrofit the Combox and transfer your Assist account to it then you will have all your current Assist features enabled in your CIC. You will not notice any difference in the GUI or functionality as long as your CIC is updated with the Combox software interface..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #41
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
There are two Fakra antenna connectors and 2 LVDS USB connectors in the Combox.
Thanks, but which way round do the connectors go when looking end on with the double black socket to the right?

Does the purple connector go to the left or right socket?

The BMW pdf seems to have an extra purple socket for the gps antennae. (item 2)

Last edited by alpina527; 01-18-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
If you retrofit the Combox and transfer your Assist account to it then you will have all your current Assist features enabled in your CIC. You will not notice any difference in the GUI or functionality as long as your CIC is updated with the Combox software interface..
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't that negate the need to upgrade to Combox, however? That is, don't people retrofit the Combox specifically to get the updates to the GUI that enable features like BMW Live, ConnectedDrive, and Office?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #43
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't that negate the need to upgrade to Combox, however? That is, don't people retrofit the Combox specifically to get the updates to the GUI that enable features like BMW Live, ConnectedDrive, and Office?
The main feature that you get with the Combox is BMW Apps.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
Thanks, but which way round do the connectors go when looking end on with the double black socket to the right?

Does the purple connector go to the left or right socket?

The BMW pdf seems to have an extra purple socket for the gps antennae. (item 2)
There are various combox variants. When combox is installed with nav, that gps input is either not present or not used. Combox gets gps from the CIC.
Appreciate 0