BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

lap timer-data logger

Looking at the AIM SOLO right now just curious to hear from those running some form of data logger. What features are a must? Which will help the most? Which product is easiest to use? Will I miss out if I don't have video intigration?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

The AIM products definitely look slick, but I decided to go with the RaceKeeper system based on the fact that it's used by a lot of organizations, it seamlessly and automatically integrates data with video (with capacity for multiple simultaneous cameras), it pulls data from the OBD II port, and I have local support from a trackside vendor. So far very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Interested in this thread. I want to get a data logger for next year as well.
      09-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

My review of the AiM SOLO here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=36

I think it's a great self-contained unit.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Is not having video integration an issue. It seems that looking at the data and graphs without video would be illuminating in itself and provide tons of areas to work on. I'm not looking to spend a ton. Are there other units like this in the same price and feature range?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
imrans
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Is not having video integration an issue. It seems that looking at the data and graphs without video would be illuminating in itself and provide tons of areas to work on. I'm not looking to spend a ton. Are there other units like this in the same price and feature range?
After some research I settled on the Video Vbox Lite: http://www.videovbox.co.uk/. It's a bit pricey but it integrates video, GPS data, as well as CAN bus data from the car itself so you can get a fairly complete picture of your sessions. Critically, the accompanying software is easy to use and makes the data analysis a breeze. I don't have any experience with other systems so can't compare but I'm happy with the Video VBox Lite. Video is great because it helps to put the data into context - for example, it helps you understand the influence of traffic on your line, braking points, etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

What does the vbox lite cost? Think its gonna be out of my price range probably. Do you use the predictive lap time feature?

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

AiM solo or vbox.... cant go wrong with either one. basically comes down to which one you can get for a better price.

however, the solo has an internal battery so if you dont want to plug it into the car while you are running it, you have the option to run on the internal battery.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

I just ordered the AiM Solo from Richard @ M-world!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
imrans
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
What does the vbox lite cost? Think its gonna be out of my price range probably. Do you use the predictive lap time feature?
The basic system with two cameras is ~$1800 with tax. I maxed out the CAN channels, added the OLED display, the hardcase, & the mini preview monitor which bumped it up to $2800 including tax and shipping. I debated whether I should get it because of the cost but I must say I'm very happy with it. Given how much I've learned as a result of it this summer it was definitely worth the cost to me. In part to Vbox-based analysis (and a fair bit of practice) I've shaved about 4 seconds off my times at Pacific Raceways. For reference, with stock everything my best time is 1:43:06. It's accurate enough for me to see differences in lines on the track between laps. FWIW, I had the dealership do the work to tap into the car's CAN bus so everything was nice and clean. I'll be at Pacific Raceways on 9/26 in case you want to see/try it out.

The predictive lapping feature is useful and very tempting. I've used it on occassion but I find it distracts me a bit and instead of focusing on driving cleanly I find myself trying to beat the clock (since it's right in front of me) and things can get sloppy at times :-). On the rare occassion when I'm exclusively focused on bringing my times down it's been indespensible though.

My suggestion is to play with the software of the solutions you're considering since to some degree that will largely dictate its usefulness to you as a learning tool. Each system has it's pros/cons...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Okay sounds good. I just can't really justify the expense. That's why the solo is tempting because for relatively cheap I can have some data and begin to improve based on the things you mentioned without blowing my budget for the year on one piece of gear.

Appreciate 0