BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
boilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@ESS View Post
Fixed..
Great, so this is a direct tune and no need to send in your ECU?

Lator
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Great - So if I want a tune with stock exhaust & one with test pipes what are we talking $$$ wise?
995 + 100 for the catless option. This gives you both files.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #25
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilator View Post
Great, so this is a direct tune and no need to send in your ECU?

Lator
Correct, the DirectFlash can tune all E9x M3 software incl. the latest tuner locked revisions without the need to backdate the ECU to a older non-locked version like 140E. This way we preserve all functionality of the later generations of BMW software like the start-stop feature and there is no software mismatch bugs like missing speed signal to ECU etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
i really need to catch-up. hahaha.

so glad you guys are finally releasing this... i've seen other DF's but all of the other ones revert back to an older form of the software.

so glad to see ESS can tune even the LATEST "tuner protected" software from BMW.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Just mostly curious here...but why is there such a huge leap in price for the akrapovic 'tune'?
We put a lot of time and effort into our Akra tune, and due to the low amount of sales it makes every license more expensive than high-volume software.

You can also run the Akra Evo exhaust system with the normal ESS catless software, but it is not as refined as the Akra specific tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #28
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
995 + 100 for the catless option. This gives you both files.
So when I'm loading the tune am I prompted for these?
-Removal of cold start cat heat cycle for caltless / high flow exhaust.
-Removed top speed governor.
-Raised RPM limit

Last edited by Moxie; 07-20-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So when I'm loading the tune am I prompted for the following-
-Raised RPM limit
Yes, you can request desired RPM limit (normal is 8400 or 8600 which is max we recommend), top speed governor, catless option etc. You can also get the normal DirectFlash and upgrade to the Akra/custom tune later. The unit is updated through emailed files.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
So when I'm loading the tune am I prompted for these?
-Raised RPM limit
Quote:
Yes, you can request desired RPM limit (normal is 8400 or 8600 which is max we recommend), top speed governor, catless option etc. You can also get the normal DirectFlash and upgrade to the Akra/custom tune later. The unit is updated through emailed files.
I think Moxie was asking if you are prompted for these options when you plug the loader into the car, not whether or not you can request the options. The answer sounds like no, you have to use a different map but ESS can send you the map and the loader can store up to 10 anyways.

I personally have ESS Akrapovic tune, and while I'm very dissapointed that this option wasn't available to me earlier (I have tunerlocked ECU, I would have gotten the loader and tuned it at home and it would have saved me a lot of inconvenience and I could have gotten a loader to boot, while keeping stock file for dealership trips like my most recent one), I have to say that I'm very happy with the tune itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #31
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Fixed..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

How much is the direct flash only if I already have a tune with ESS?

My dealer reflashed me during my warranty visit and I have been waiting for the DF to come out instead of sending my ecu in per Roman's recommendation.

Best Regards.

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #33
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
There is no need to send the ECU in. We can tune any version of software including locked versions with Direct Flash now. You can store different files such as a high octane fuel map etc.. And switch anytime.
Thats great to hear,thanks for making this point clear !
Quote:
Nope, not with the newest version of DirectFlash software. All E9x M3's can be tuned directly with the flashloader regardless of software version. For anyone with the previous version of DirectFlash OS, this new update will apply to those as well and make their DirectFlash units compatible with the latest BMW software if they ever get flashed back to stock at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I think Moxie was asking if you are prompted for these options when you plug the loader into the car, not whether or not you can request the options. The answer sounds like no, you have to use a different map but ESS can send you the map and the loader can store up to 10 anyways.

I personally have ESS Akrapovic tune, and while I'm very dissapointed that this option wasn't available to me earlier (I have tunerlocked ECU, I would have gotten the loader and tuned it at home and it would have saved me a lot of inconvenience and I could have gotten a loader to boot, while keeping stock file for dealership trips like my most recent one), I have to say that I'm very happy with the tune itself.
The DirectFlash works by reading the stock ECU software first, then emailing these to ESS. Then new files are generated based on what version is in the car. These are received on email from us and stored permanently in the DirectFlash unit for later map switching. When you request your ESS files, you can simply state the option you want and we will generate the file accordingly.

You can contact Roman at esstuning.com for info on upgrading to the DF platform. It makes sense to do this next time the dealer resets your car instead of sending in the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #35
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

No need to send ecu in anymore either they can tune locked software with direct flash !
pretty neat !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #36
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
We put a lot of time and effort into our Akra tune, and due to the low amount of sales it makes every license more expensive than high-volume software.

You can also run the Akra Evo exhaust system with the normal ESS catless software, but it is not as refined as the Akra specific tune.
The Akrapovic tune is well worth the money! I ran this with my evo before I supercharged and I'd recommend it to anyone with an evolution.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #37
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice, im torn with what to chose as well
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #38
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats on the release of another great option for convenient tuning! It's great to see how technology progresses in our car community. Although 'self-ecu flashing' has been around for awhile, it's great to see it implement into the BMW culture as well now.

With so many people upgrading their supercharger kits too, this is a very convenient way to make transitions!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Quote:

AJ,

Suppose i have Turner test pipes combined with the stock X pipe, so No primaries but stock secondaries, X pipe and resonators are there!!<< this setup is 99% like Akra i belive so, do i need to run the Akra tune or the normal catless yune? and do u have a different map if any aftermarket rear mufflers were added??

one more question i asked already but not yet answered by you guys:
if i order ESS supercharger, would i be able to use this DF to remap my ecu??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #40
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

It's great to see the competition picking up - everyone benefits! This looks like a really simple, elegant device.

Can you tell me what features/functionality are available in the latest software, aside from start/stop, that are not available in older versions?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #41
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Does the tune still retain the anti-knock feature from BMW?

Like the 93 tune, what happens if you have to use 91 or even 87. Will the engine still delay timing?

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #42
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sexMT View Post
AJ,

Suppose i have Turner test pipes combined with the stock X pipe, so No primaries but stock secondaries, X pipe and resonators are there!!<< this setup is 99% like Akra i belive so, do i need to run the Akra tune or the normal catless yune? and do u have a different map if any aftermarket rear mufflers were added??

one more question i asked already but not yet answered by you guys:
if i order ESS supercharger, would i be able to use this DF to remap my ecu??

Thanks
This setup would run well with the normal tune with cat detection removed. The Akra software is made especially to compensate for the bottom range flow characteristics of the Akrapovic Evo system.

And yes, the same DirectFlash can be used to load our supercharger software also. We will simply mail you the file when you order the kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #43
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Does the tune still retain the anti-knock feature from BMW?

Like the 93 tune, what happens if you have to use 91 or even 87. Will the engine still delay timing?
Yes, ESS never removes the anti-knock systems or margins. We never force timing or modify allowed cylinder noise levels. If you fill lower grade fuel by accident, the ECU will adapt and run perfectly safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #44
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 //M3 6speed

How these you guys or any tuner for that matter can't figure out how to flash the ECU back and forth from performance tune to factory tune and cover up all traces of the ECU ever being messed with? In therory it doesn't seem too difficult. Just save an image of the ECU at the time it is flashed with the performance tune and when you need to bring the car in to BMW for any service just flash the ECU with the image that was taken before the flash. It has to be possible.
Appreciate 0