BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Mporium BMW

03-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Fabspeed X-pipe?

Does anyone have a Fabspeed X-Pipe 2ndary Catbypass Pipe with Resonators mounted on their M3 with the OEM Exhaust? Any suggestions, comments? experiences?

I'm looking at installing one on my car, my OEM exhaust is modded, but I'm looking for better air flow, sound and hp.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I would check out mastermind street. 1500ish new with twin resonators. I've heard fab speed have figment quirks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I didnt have the fabspeed x-pipe but I had an exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats and replace with straight pipes (essentially the same as the fabspeed pipe).

Paired with my oem modded exhaust it produced a noticeable increase in volume but got very raspy. Had it like that for 6 months or so then got sick of the sound and recently welded in a pair of resonators to rid the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I didnt have the fabspeed x-pipe but I had an exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats and replace with straight pipes (essentially the same as the fabspeed pipe).

Paired with my oem modded exhaust it produced a noticeable increase in volume but got very raspy. Had it like that for 6 months or so then got sick of the sound and recently welded in a pair of resonators to rid the rasp.
That's very interesting, I was thinking of doing the same, but I don't like rasp.... when exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats, did they also cut the resonators?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I would check out mastermind street. 1500ish new with twin resonators. I've heard fab speed have figment quirks.
what do you mean by figment quirks?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogeM3 View Post
That's very interesting, I was thinking of doing the same, but I don't like rasp.... when exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats, did they also cut the resonators?
No, resonators were still in. Sounds like you have the itch (that we all get) to change things up a little. This, however, is one thing I would not do unless of course you like rasp (some people do).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

yeah, I don't like the rasp. I'm going to try to find a video with an oem exhaust and fabspeed x-pipe w/ resonators if it sounds any different. That's pretty much all I can do in NC when it comes to exhaust mods, since we do have strict inspections!

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what do you mean by figment quirks?

thanks
Fitment iPhone typo

I heard the OEM mod does not sound very good w/o resonators.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Fitment iPhone typo

I heard the OEM mod does not sound very good w/o resonators.
Got it, I need to watch some videos. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

One thing you could consider for more volume while still complying with emissions is to re-do your oem mod the ACM way.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

what's the ACM way?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what's the ACM way?
They open the Helmholtz chambers and replace the pipe with a strait pipe out the tips. It's pretty much just removing your muffler all together except its still hanging there so it looks stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

I already had that done, it sounds amazing. But I was looking for better exhaust flow, maybe deeper sound and xtra 15 hp, that's where the x-pipe comes in. thanks for the suggestion though
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already had that done, it sounds amazing. But I was looking for better exhaust flow, maybe deeper sound and xtra 15 hp, that's where the x-pipe comes in. thanks for the suggestion though
Oh when you said OEM mod I just assumed it was the 2 perforated pipe method (thats what I have). I believe the ACM mod is a little deeper in sound than the traditional method so removing the secondary cats may not sound that bad. It will however be very loud!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep

oh....yes, I've only done the 2 perforated pipe method, I'll have to do some research. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
mikeditka
Rep
Drives: looking for e92 M3

I wanted to start a thread on this...but I guess I'm too new...sorry if slight hijack...

but, has anyone just gone to a really reputable exhaust shop (with a mandrel bend) and had them make an x-pipe or straight pipe? You could give them the specs (as far as diameter)...anyone?

Basically, I have owned two Cobras and am now looking to buy an e92 instead of a '11 GT500...

But, I seriously just can not fathom $2,300 for an x-pipe (I think it was AA...could be wrong)....over 2 GRAND?! for some metal piping? Then, I checked out the Turner test pipes...still, $400 for essentially two small sections of straight pipe?!

I fully expect a "well it's not a Mustang" type response. I fully realize what I'm dealing with here. But, this isn't suspension or even a tune. I don't care how much money I make this year...How can anyone live with themselves after paying $2,300 for a simple x-pipe?

CLIFFS:
What am I missing here?
What's the big down-side to just getting a custom straight pipe and/or x-pipe?
Do people really pay $2k+ for an x-pipe?

Thanks for any help, I want to get into M3's...but if this is standard I may just stay away
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
kasimmmmm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M

i had this on my M3. It sounds great... sounds very similar to the OEM mod that everyone does, but cleaner sound. The OEM xpipe weight a lot so it is a simple way to reduce some weight off the car.
It is not annoyingly loud, loud when you want it to be - at higher revs.
The only issue I had was with the check engine light. After really hard driving, the light would come on and I would have to reset it.
      04-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeditka View Post
I wanted to start a thread on this...but I guess I'm too new...sorry if slight hijack...

but, has anyone just gone to a really reputable exhaust shop (with a mandrel bend) and had them make an x-pipe or straight pipe? You could give them the specs (as far as diameter)...anyone?

Basically, I have owned two Cobras and am now looking to buy an e92 instead of a '11 GT500...

But, I seriously just can not fathom $2,300 for an x-pipe (I think it was AA...could be wrong)....over 2 GRAND?! for some metal piping? Then, I checked out the Turner test pipes...still, $400 for essentially two small sections of straight pipe?!

I fully expect a "well it's not a Mustang" type response. I fully realize what I'm dealing with here. But, this isn't suspension or even a tune. I don't care how much money I make this year...How can anyone live with themselves after paying $2,300 for a simple x-pipe?

CLIFFS:
What am I missing here?
What's the big down-side to just getting a custom straight pipe and/or x-pipe?
Do people really pay $2k+ for an x-pipe?

Thanks for any help, I want to get into M3's...but if this is standard I may just stay away
FYI there are some inexpensive alternatives out there, such as the so called ebay brands. Search online for Speed Daddy or TopSpeed, they both have full x-pipe upgrades for under $600. Also in the Mid-Range, borla has a quad resonated x-pipe for around $1200. Many have gone the custom route also, which should produce similar gains but of course depends on the quality of the fabrication. The OEM xpipe is said to be built pretty well, so if you don't mind hacking it up, you could have a shop replace the cats with straight pipe or resonators and achieve good results.

I'm in the same boat at the moment looking for a simple inexpensive x-pipe solution...I'm leaning toward test pipes to replace the primaries only, since a full catless x-pipe may be a little loud for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
mikeditka
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
FYI there are some inexpensive alternatives out there, such as the so called ebay brands. Search online for Speed Daddy or TopSpeed, they both have full x-pipe upgrades for under $600. Also in the Mid-Range, borla has a quad resonated x-pipe for around $1200. Many have gone the custom route also, which should produce similar gains but of course depends on the quality of the fabrication. The OEM xpipe is said to be built pretty well, so if you don't mind hacking it up, you could have a shop replace the cats with straight pipe or resonators and achieve good results.

I'm in the same boat at the moment looking for a simple inexpensive x-pipe solution...I'm leaning toward test pipes to replace the primaries only, since a full catless x-pipe may be a little loud for my taste.
I'm basically wondering the PRO/CON (mostly as for as performance and power) between...
1) test pipes removing the primary cat...all else stock
2) straight pipes through the muffler...all else stock
3) cheap x-pipe...all else stock
4) test pipes and x-pipe

***test pipes and Remus Race*** (still expensive, but I had a Remus on e and loved it so much)

Exhaust is normally such a simple thing, but the way they have the cats on these and the exorbitant cost of some of these brands is just unreal

I get frustrated b/c there is a million vids of "e92 straight pipes" but the EXACT setup remains a mystery. Some are truly header out the back straight pipe, some aren't...I want to believe that a truly great performance/sound combo can be had under $1,000
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Quote:
I'm basically wondering the PRO/CON (mostly as for as performance and power) between...
1) test pipes removing the primary cat...all else stock
2) straight pipes through the muffler...all else stock
3) cheap x-pipe...all else stock
4) test pipes and x-pipe

***test pipes and Remus Race*** (still expensive, but I had a Remus on e and loved it so much)

Exhaust is normally such a simple thing, but the way they have the cats on these and the exorbitant cost of some of these brands is just unreal

I get frustrated b/c there is a million vids of "e92 straight pipes" but the EXACT setup remains a mystery. Some are truly header out the back straight pipe, some aren't...I want to believe that a truly great performance/sound combo can be had under $1,000
I'm no expert, but from what I gather on the forums, the main performance gain is from the removal of the primary cats, approx 15-20hp. The removal of the secondary cats I believe is somewhere between 5-10hp but the added increase in rasp and exhaust odor may outweigh the performance benefits for some people. HFCs may be a good option if this is a concern. As far as I know, the stock axle back exhaust is pretty efficient, so there are minimal gains to be had here, although some vendors claim a few hp here and there.

So generally speaking your choice of test pipe or xpipe configuration will determine your (exhaust related) power increase over stock, and any addition of resonators or axleback system will just vary the sound you end up with which can vary from a high pitched scream to a deep growl depending on which configuration you end up with. You can find numerous videos of many different configurations on youtube and throughout the forums. The cheapest route, just replacing the 4 cats with custom straight pipes and keeping the stock rear section will net most of the performance that there is to be gained and would only cost you a few hundred bucks at a local exhaust shop. You will end up with a somewhat raspy sound though which some love, some hate. From there, you could step up to prefabricated test pipes for a simpler installation, a full xpipe in various resonated/HFC configurations, or a even a $6k titanium akra evo setup, whatever your budget and taste may allow for. Keep doing your research, theres plenty of options out there for every budget.

My current setup is a $400 OEM mod (perforated pipe method which sounds nice and deep) and I likely will add pre-fab test pipes for another $400. If I didnt have a E93, I probably would have went with a Megan Racing Axleback (~$500) and Test Pipes which sounds pretty good from the videos I've seen.

BTW you won't be sorry for buying an M3, even in stock form its a hell of a car!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
mikeditka
Rep

Thanks for help.

Quick Q: What does "cell" mean?

I constantly see comments like,"when you deleted the primary cat did you get any "cell?"
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for help.

Quick Q: What does "cell" mean?

I constantly see comments like,"when you deleted the primary cat did you get any "cell?"
I think you mean "cel" which is check engine light.
Appreciate 0