BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #1
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 CP Jerez Black

Suspension Upgrade..What else to do?

2011 e92 DCT
Just ordered my Ohlins R/T+Vorshlag camber plates
What else can i do to improve the handling of my car, as i will be doing the coil overs and camber plates might as well throw in what i can, any suggestions?
Also i have the Comp package wheels with 255/275 Yokohama Ado8R, Fresh!

I am hoping to get the best handling from my car, I'm hoping to go to some track events and spirited driving as you call it around the mountains, PLEASE don't start hating on what i already bought, as i like Ohlins and got a GREAT deal and am excited to have it on, NOW if anyone can suggest anything else that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Also i may be considering going to Apex ec-7 18' 9.5-10.5 with some Toyo R888..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I think when I upgrade my suspension I will do solid subframe bushings as well. From what I've read, it seems to help quite a big deal.

I also upgraded my front sway bar with the Dinan sway bar, and that seems to help a lot from what people say. I've heard bad things about the RD sway bar snapping from my shop, so I went with Dinan instead.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Camber plates is really all the car needs. Just make sure the rest of the bushings are in good shape.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Camber plates is really all the car needs.
i would respectfully disagree. i have been to a few track events with friends. one of the guys i go with is on coilovers, but oem brakes [race pads], and i'm on ap racing brakes with oem suspension. it is very easy to see the strengths of each car on the track when following each other.
he pulls away in the corners because of better cornering ability. i catch up to him approaching the corners because my braking zone is deeper. its a cycle of him pulling away in the corners and me being up his ass heading into a corner. coilovers make a big difference.

op, look into the essex parts ap racing kit for our cars. they have two front kits now, and one rear kit. i have the "lesser" of the two kits just in the front of my car and the difference is huge.
      12-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i would respectfully disagree. i have been to a few track events with friends. one of the guys i go with is on coilovers, but oem brakes [race pads], and i'm on ap racing brakes with oem suspension. it is very easy to see the strengths of each car on the track when following each other.
he pulls away in the corners because of better cornering ability. i catch up to him approaching the corners because my braking zone is deeper. its a cycle of him pulling away in the corners and me being up his ass heading into a corner. coilovers make a big difference.

op, look into the essex parts ap racing kit for our cars. they have two front kits now, and one rear kit. i have the "lesser" of the two kits just in the front of my car and the difference is huge.
I'd consider not braking deeper because you have a BBK and he doesn't. If anything...you need to do a better job of balancing the car on turn in so you can get on the gas sooner. Of course, a coil over will provide more grip especially compared to a worn out OEM suspension.

There's two ways "beat" your friend. Either spend money or further develop your skills. I'll say this...I've ran times in my E90 M3 with OEM non-EDC dampers and A Dinan Stage 3 suspension comparable to people in E9X's with coilovers and bolt on power adders. I'm off the brakes earlier, I turn in sooner, I get on the throttle sooner.

With the E9X M3...it all comes down to how well you can drive with the throttle.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

there are a lot of variables and dynamics coming into play, i was just giving an example of how different things magnify certain characteristics of this car.
i'm still new to tracking, but the front bbk drastically reduced how long i'm on the brakes before i let off and turn in.
      12-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
there are a lot of variables and dynamics coming into play, i was just giving an example of how different things magnify certain characteristics of this car.
i'm still new to tracking, but the front bbk drastically reduced how long i'm on the brakes before i let off and turn in.
I always thought bbk was really more for consistency and not stopping power (which you probably get). Tires also help a ton with how fast you slow down. I'm a lot less aggressive on the brakes than others and my mods are only coilovers and tires but I think I'm doing pretty well.
      12-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
I always thought bbk was really more for consistency and not stopping power (which you probably get). Tires also help a ton with how fast you slow down. I'm a lot less aggressive on the brakes than others and my mods are only coilovers and tires but I think I'm doing pretty well.
maybe i need to elaborate a bit more on what i meant to say earlier in the thread- when chasing a friend lap after lap, his brakes begin to fade so he is actually braking longer, and i'm braking the same (maybe even less as i get into the rhythm of things).
      12-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Easiest ways to save lbs and improve handling are wheels (4 lbs per wheel vs ZCP), they should be 18", tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s save 4-5 lbs per tire vs ADO8R), and Essex/AP racing BBK (between 4 and 6 lbs per corner depending on what kit you get). Basically you can save between 12-15 lbs per CORNER...this type of unsprung and mostly rotating mass reduction you will definitely feel..will feel like your car lost 200 lbs. Unsprung and rotating mass reduction can have 2x-5x the handling benefit of sprung mass reduction. Not to mention the tires will run cooler (will be less sticky after multiple laps) the suspension will ride better, you'll improve the responsiveness of the wheels/tires in surface/direction changes, and the brakes won't work as hard.

For benefit of others reading this thread, suspension weight can also be a consideration. The EDC shocks/springs are actually very light and lighter than most aftermarket suspension setups (using steel vs aluminum shocks). I have the TC Kline D/A coilover suspension, with the light alloy VVS springs, and per corner only weights 1-2 lbs less vs EDC.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Easiest ways to save lbs and improve handling are wheels (4 lbs per wheel vs ZCP), they should be 18", tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s save 4-5 lbs per tire vs ADO8R), and Essex/AP racing BBK (between 4 and 6 lbs per corner depending on what kit you get). Basically you can save between 12-15 lbs per CORNER...this type of unsprung and mostly rotating mass reduction you will definitely feel..will feel like your car lost 200 lbs. Unsprung and rotating mass reduction can have 2x-5x the handling benefit of sprung mass reduction. Not to mention the tires will run cooler (will be less sticky after multiple laps) the suspension will ride better, you'll improve the responsiveness of the wheels/tires in surface/direction changes, and the brakes won't work as hard.

For benefit of others reading this thread, suspension weight can also be a consideration. The EDC shocks/springs are actually very light and lighter than most aftermarket suspension setups (using steel vs aluminum shocks). I have the TC Kline D/A coilover suspension, with the light alloy VVS springs, and per corner only weights 1-2 lbs less vs EDC.
x2, i lose ~25lbs just in the wheels when i go from my oem 359 wheels to my 18x10.5 apex arc8's.
also got rid of 21lbs of weight with the essex ap kit up front. i got rid of 31lbs (total) of unsprung/rotating weight up front with the essex kit when running my arc8's. thats pretty significant!