BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

What Phone is This?

No, it's the new Xiaomi Mi 8. Yes, this is their official marketing for it. Remind you of anything?

I mean, I'm all for competition, but can we get a bigger ripoff the iPhone X?

Love how people rag on Apple for "not innovating" yet Android follows Apple with notches, facial recognition, removal of headphone jack, bezeless design, and gesture based software.

I guess Apple is ahead in hardware too because this thing still has a bottom bezel. Guess they couldn't figure out how to put the display controller under a folded screen like Apple did almost a year ago.

I hope Xiaomi gets sued if Apple even thinks it's worth their time.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 05-31-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

link for img is not working.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
link for img is not working.
Because he posted it with his iPhone lol
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13154.00
Alfisti6502.50
9krpmrx8808.00
Ghosn463.50
EALm43346.50
      05-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

These companies have been stealing from each other since the beginning of time... a lot of the features Apple used and made well known were previously made by Samsung (just never adapted nor accepted well). The same goes for Samsung, they stole Apple's well adapted features w just about every phone they release... This is a copy... no less a Chinese copy... the patent infringement kings. For as massive as their production capability is and the amount of resources they have, they sure as hell like to steal shit.
Appreciate 1
9krpmrx8808.00
      05-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
These companies have been stealing from each other since the beginning of time... a lot of the features Apple used and made well known were previously made by Samsung (just never adapted nor accepted well). The same goes for Samsung, they stole Apple's well adapted features w just about every phone they release... This is a copy... no less a Chinese copy... the patent infringement kings. For as massive as their production capability is and the amount of resources they have, they sure as hell like to steal shit.
Forget all that. We can have a 5 hour conversation about the tech side, but this shit is a blatant copy in every visual way. A company doesn't own touchscreen technology or display tech, but they DO own design. Look at the freaking design an marketing materials.

Apple was also just awarded $539M by Samsung over another copy of original the iPhone.

You can't start saying XXX company made the first touchscreen phone, so everyone else copied. The iPhone was clearly the first one which was implemented so well, so kudos to Apple. If you can implement the tech better than someone else, by all means. But don't just EXACTLY copy the camera module placement and look, the notched screen, the color, the marketing material, and every other obvious design choice (other than the fact they suck at hardware design so they needed a bottom bezel).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
1. Sue? the chinese? LOL.
2. Apple don't give a fuck. A lawsuit will not go anywhere in China.
3. China is a HUGE market for Apple. Dont forget, their products are assembled there too. The company wont do anything to jeopardize that.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Love how people rag on Apple for "not innovating" yet Android follows Apple with notches, facial recognition, removal of headphone jack, bezeless design, and gesture based software.
This really isn't a case of Android copying Apple. Android is just an OS. This is a Chinese hardware manufacturer blatantly imitating Apple hardware. I'm really not surprised though, as this has happened with many products across different industries in China. Their culture has no regard for intellectual property, and there doesn't ever seem to be any repercussions, so why would they even care?
      05-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Apple couldn't figure out how to cleanly integrate a finger print reader so they ditched it for an inferior security setup. Oh so innovative.

Finger print reader under the glass, your move Apple.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
This really isn't a case of Android copying Apple. Android is just an OS. This is a Chinese hardware manufacturer blatantly imitating Apple hardware. I'm really not surprised though, as this has happened with many products across different industries in China. Their culture has no regard for intellectual property, and there doesn't ever seem to be any repercussions, so why would they even care?
I worked for an unnamed cellular provider when the original iPhone was released and the amount of foreign knock-offs that were on the street before the release date were ridiculous! Some were just laughable. It was either engadget or gizmodo that started a collection of photos of knock-offs that was quite extensive. Sadly some people are just as happy with these.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Wow can't believe people care about this? It's a knock off just like anything else out there. This like saying a real Rolex is better than a fake one, and that the fake one is a design violation. It will be handled in court if this thing ever makes it to the US.

Really who cares.

As for Android phones, it means competition and competition is good. Apple hasn't been the first at everything and neither has Android. There are choices out there and thats good. No one needs to defend or justify their choice if they are happy with what they have.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

The OP seems to be upset that Samsung, Google, Alcatel (BlackBerry), and OnePlus make better and more innovative products than Apple so he hauls out an example of a knock-off phone to prove his point. Except, it doesn't prove anything. That Xiaomi didn't innovate really doesn't mean that Apple does or did.

You like your Apple. I'm happy for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I realize Android is the software, but other Android running phones have copied the notch, FaceID, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
The OP seems to be upset that Samsung, Google, Alcatel (BlackBerry), and OnePlus make better and more innovative products than Apple so he hauls out an example of a knock-off phone to prove his point. Except, it doesn't prove anything. That Xiaomi didn't innovate really doesn't mean that Apple does or did.

You like your Apple. I'm happy for you.
Apple has once again led the industry to move toward facial recognition, no bezel design, gesture based control, and advanced 3D camera modules.

If you don't think Apple is innovating, you aren't paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Apple couldn't figure out how to cleanly integrate a finger print reader so they ditched it for an inferior security setup. Oh so innovative.

Finger print reader under the glass, your move Apple.
According to what source? Their chief hardware exec said they spent no time trying to integrate TouchID into the screen and were fully focused on FaceID, something that took years to develop. They didn't "Fall back" on FaceID as it's not a tech they could have just thrown together quickly.

They flat out said they didn't look into fingerprint tech under screen and logic confirms FaceID was always the plan. There is still no facial recognition as advanced as FaceID, despite the copies.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

zcp vs civic....6mt vs dct...now apple vs pc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
3rd shift. That's why it's highly unlikely that I ever manufacture there. Next.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #17
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Apple has once again led the industry to move toward facial recognition, no bezel design, gesture based control, and advanced 3D camera modules.

If you don't think Apple is innovating, you aren't paying attention.
No. First phone with minimal bezel design language was actually the Sharp Aquos Crystal followed by the prototype Vela from Microsoft. First facial recognition was the Galaxy S8. Try the 2nd gen Moto X for gesture control.

Apple does not, and has never, innovated. What Apple excels at is taking the innovations of others and making them highly accessible in a very user friendly way. Do not confuse the two.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 05-31-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
9krpmrx8808.00
stooker2752.50
      05-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
No. First phone with minimal bezel design language was actually the Sharp Aquos Crystal followed by the prototype Vela from Microsoft. First facial recognition was the Galaxy S8. Try the 2nd gen Moto X for gesture control.

Apple does not, and have never, innovated. What Apple excels at is taking the innovations of others and making them highly accessible in a very user friendly way. Do not confuse the two.
The winner is usually the guy that can best package items in a presentable manner and later market them correctly... acceptance is key here.

Myspace vs Facebook perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
According to what source? Their chief hardware exec said they spent no time trying to integrate TouchID into the screen and were fully focused on FaceID, something that took years to develop. They didn't "Fall back" on FaceID as it's not a tech they could have just thrown together quickly.

They flat out said they didn't look into fingerprint tech under screen and logic confirms FaceID was always the plan. There is still no facial recognition as advanced as FaceID, despite the copies.
If their goal was Face ID the entire time, why are they bringing Touch ID back in the 2019 model?

Also this::

https://www.fastcompany.com/40508767...-have-a-future

Quote:
How Touch ID Died

Apple planned for the 10th Anniversary iPhone for a long time. The Phone of the Future had to be pretty much all display on its front, so Apple was hell-bent on putting an “edge-to-edge” OLED screen on the iPhone X. With no more “chin” space at the bottom of the phone, the Touch ID button was out. But a source with knowledge of the iPhone X development process told me Apple still worked for months to integrate a fingerprint sensor directly into the device’s display.

By last spring, however, it become clear that the in-display fingerprint sensor wasn’t going to work. The sensors in the prototype iPhone X’s were generating too many false negatives; that is, keeping legitimate users out of their phones.

That’s when Apple decided to rely solely on a front-facing laser system for biometric authentication, my source said. When it came time to manufacture the iPhone X, though, the Face ID system presented Apple with the same false-negatives problem it saw months earlier with the fingerprint sensor. That was the reason for the dearth of iPhone Xs around the device’s launch November 3: Apple had trouble getting enough working Face ID subsystems from its suppliers to meet demand.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
1. Sue? the chinese? LOL.
2. Apple don't give a fuck. A lawsuit will not go anywhere in China.
3. China is a HUGE market for Apple. Dont forget, their products are assembled there too. The company wont do anything to jeopardize that.
This is all true and what most people fail to understand this about Apple and China.

Apple walks a very fine line in China, they do not bring lawsuits against large Chinese companies, but if small stores set up selling knock off Apple product Apple quietly complains and the government shuts them down and kills all who is involved. They only do this in area where Apple has it own stores or is selling through actual phone stores.

However, the reason China does step in and takes out these knock offs since Apple products employ so many people in China. This is more of China worry than a Apple Worry. China does not want to see this business going elsewhere, China has more to loose than Apple does, Apple can always find grass huts somewhere else to make phones.

This is where it all starts and ends. If any of these knockoff product show up in the US or the EU Apple will sue them out of existence. These companies are limited to only selling in China because they can not sell outside the China or India because they copied Apple on everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
If their goal was Face ID the entire time, why are they bringing Touch ID back in the 2019 model?

Also this::

https://www.fastcompany.com/40508767...-have-a-future
Your proof for them bringing it back is a speculative article from fastcompany.com? Where does Apple say what they are doing for 2019?

I'm just going by the facts; from reality and what's we've been told...you're speculating. It's also obvious FaceID wasn't "thrown together" as a backup for a failed TouchID under the screen. You know how early the production has to start on components for iPhones? They sold 216M iPhones last year.

Your boy Mark Sullivan knows nothing and is speculating. He has no "source" about iPhone X development.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 05-31-2018 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #22
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Apple does not, and has never, innovated. What Apple excels at is taking the innovations of others and making them highly accessible in a very user friendly way. Do not confuse the two.
The previous and current other facial recognition techs (besides FaceID) are garbage and aren't even secure enough to authenticate payment. You think the S8 was innovative by implementing something that couldn't even authenticate their own Samsung Pay? They threw out a half-baked "feature" and got passed by Apple.

Apple's implementation of no bezels with the notch for the 3D sensing camera, IR blaster and dot projector was brand new. Still, no one else has eliminated the bottom bezel with the display controller under a folded screen, including this iPhone X copy.

Never innovated? Their software for the original iPhone was the best innovation for mobile tech ever and has made them the most valuable and most profitable company in the world.
Appreciate 0