BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-05-2024, 12:18 PM   #1
0BLNKR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Conv. Silver II Metallic

E93 M3 Rough Start and Idle, Drives and runs well

Hey fellow German car addicted financial miscreants!

My 08 M3 with 66k miles is starting to fall apart! Yay!

After 6 months of owning this lovely 5 OWNER, SMG CONVERTIBLE M3 (lol), it is finally starting to burn a hole in my pocket. I expected it to when I bought it, however I was laid off from my job recently.

Rod Bearings have NOT been done yet (I know, I know). About 2 weaks ago I had a cylinder 3 misfire, replaced the plug and coil. There is also a little valve cover leak. Service was from the dealer up until 55k, I serviced myself from 60-66k. Only abnormal repair done to the car before I had it was a rear main seal. Besides the ownership history, and 1 minor accident, It is a beautiful example!

So the plan is Rod Bearings ASAP, then upper engine components (Valve Covers, rest of coils and plugs, and swap out shotty plastic Vanoss covers).

Only code I have thrown is a cylinder 3 misfire. However, recently, my car is starting up really rough. Went from almost immediate start (like any newer car) to 2-3 cranks before it finally starts over. Nothing major, not like a 45 second process. Just went from an immediate start to about a 10 second start. Every start until the car has been driven a little bit.

The car will start, idle to about 1200, settle at 5-600 with a few little jumps to 800 with slow drops back down to the 5-600 range. Once the 2-3 minutes I give it to circulate are complete, the car is calm and situated.

I read a lot about the ICV failing however I haven't really read anything about whether the car feels fine after it warms/circulates in for 2-3 minutes. This does not happen specifically after filling up. Obviously can be the coils and plugs too because they obviously should be replaced at 60k. I guess what I'm asking is, is it likely the ICV? Could it be something far worse brewing up related to my Rod Bearings? Once the Cylinder 3 misfired, I switched to only driving it when I don't have another car available until I do rod bearings.

P.S

I recently relocated to central NJ (near Monmouth County). I do not have a knowledgeable shop that I know of in the area besides ACM. However, they're like an hour away. Really just looking for someone closer to do the entire rod bearing kit w mounts and bolts. Someone consistent to work on the car when I don't have the knowledge or space, like dropping the sub frame. Also, anyone know what the rough out the door cost is for rod bearings in this area (preferably something in the last 3-4 months)?

Sorry for the super specific questions, obviously I should fix it all, bought it with the intention! My dream car in high school was a e93, not even an e92. 8300 RPM with no top is addicting. I'm just not going to drive it often until I'm employed again, but I still want to make sure it just wont nuke itself the few times I will need to drive it. If I can do just rod bearings and worry about the rest in about 2-5k miles, I can most likely keep it! She's all paid off! But it all depends on what the issue I'm asking about is, and how much a rod bearing job is in my area these days.

Thank you and I love you all,
0BLNKR
Appreciate 1
CTMike262.00
      05-05-2024, 01:52 PM   #2
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Cold start idle always sounds weird and almost metallic while the secondary air injection system is active. Takes about two minutes to settle. 60k on original plugs? Service. Did you put a BMW coil on cyl 3? If not, do it. aftermarket are shit. Change all of your fuel injectors with a set from fcpeuro and prepare for them to be wear items if you want this car around for a long time. While your spark plugs are out bore scope it to look for bore scoring, optional but good while you’re in there peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 01:54 PM   #3
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Also, this car does not have SMG.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 02:57 PM   #4
0BLNKR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Conv. Silver II Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
Also, this car does not have SMG.
Lol, DCT, Thank you.

I don't know about recently, most of the newer services on the car just say "Dealer service performed". I can see they were done at 20k. They had build up on the tip and lowest thread.

The idle has always kinda fluctuated like that, I was more worried with the fact that when I bought the car, I would press the start button, it would turn and instantly start, now its 2-3 turns before it starts. No chugging or rough starts, no stalling or anything, just was curious if it could be ICV or ignition related.

I will look into how I can test my injectors to see how they're holding up, I will replace them when I can regardless. Up until I lost my job, I babied it. Complete fluid change using either BMW or LiquiMoly fluids, entire origami top service, suspension refresh, etc. I just never got to the rod bearings as early as I intended. Do you know of any good almost "definitive" owners manual to an E9X? A revised and modernized service schedule type of thing?

Thank you for your reply and guidance!

Last edited by 0BLNKR; 05-05-2024 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Checked the carfax!
Appreciate 0