BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #45
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
I don't know, i think both buyer and seller is at fault. If i was actually buying a car i would definitely look up the vin to see what it has before i buy it. Dealers always list wrong information. I drove 60 miles to look at a car that they advertised as manual only to find that it was DCT. When i got there they said DCT is manual. Then i said why are some of your cars listed as dct and some manual? I noticed they changed the description the next day.
Ha. I always assume it's a misprint unless I see the photo of the actual stick shift.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #46
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Dealer agreed to the $1,500, no questions asked. Really impressed by their willingness to own up and make me happy without fighting anything, on top of a very smooth out of state transaction! Dealer is Newbold BMW in O'Fallon, IL. Despite the error, the way they've handled everything makes me not hesitate at all in recommending them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
Ha. I always assume it's a misprint unless I see the photo of the actual stick shift.
Me too. I wonder how many of them are dealers claiming "it is a manual" vs. mere lack of caring enough to check for a 3rd pedal. I know from looking at CTS-Vs that often, they just don't particularly care to check.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
      08-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #47
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Dealer agreed to the $1,500, no questions asked. Really impressed by their willingness to own up and make me happy without fighting anything, on top of a very smooth out of state transaction! Dealer is Newbold BMW in O'Fallon, IL. Despite the error, the way they've handled everything makes me not hesitate at all in recommending them.

Me too. I wonder how many of them are dealers claiming "it is a manual" vs. mere lack of caring enough to check for a 3rd pedal. I know from looking at CTS-Vs that often, they just don't particularly care to check.
Always look at interior photos. There are a fair number of telltale signs, like the lever itself, the LED gear indicator in the dash, the number of pedals...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #48
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
Always look at interior photos. There are a fair number of telltale signs, like the lever itself, the LED gear indicator in the dash, the number of pedals...
Yep, I usually do this. But sometimes for a hot model that may go fast (like a manual CTS-V, which is pretty rare), I would try to jump on it right away, and the dealer usually takes a couple of days to upload pictures. In that case I've learned to call first and confirm before going out to see a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #49
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Happy to know this got resolved. Congrats on the new car!

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #50
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Now I get to just enjoy it, which I very much am. Got everything set up and took it out last night. Absolutely incredible car in every way.

To top it off, I'm going to Monterey Car Week for the very first time next weekend! Will be a fun way to enjoy the new car. This one's a keeper for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #51
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
It does appear they stopped pre-wiring for alarms in 02/09. The salesman confirmed that the kit ($308) would not work with my car.
Technically, it would....with the additional parts needed for the retrofit. Read over the attached PDF in the link I post, it should cover everything you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #52
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Technically, it would....with the additional parts needed for the retrofit. Read over the attached PDF in the link I post, it should cover everything you need.
I don't think it's worth the trouble in order to get an alarm (dubious impact on actually protecting the car anyway). If I do get an alarm, I may try aftermarket. I appreciate the help though!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #53
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
he bought a car from an out of state dealer that advertised the car had comfort access. car showed up without comfort access.
I was lucky, mine showed up with the options as advertised-but with a tire that had been temporarily patched with the "mobility kit". Not only did the car not have the tire goo when the tire went flat, when I tried to put air into the tire the hardened goop ended up spitting all over me and still stains the floor of my garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #54
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Thanks! Now I get to just enjoy it, which I very much am. Got everything set up and took it out last night. Absolutely incredible car in every way.

To top it off, I'm going to Monterey Car Week for the very first time next weekend! Will be a fun way to enjoy the new car. This one's a keeper for a long time.
Don't miss the Legends of the Autobahn event! That would be the highlight of my week there if I was able to get away this year.

The S65 is an amazing engine as you're now exploring. Keeping it on the boil between 6000-8400 is a wonderful experience, sort of the inverse of the E39 M5 where the party is over at 7k; of course the M5's party between 4500-7k is amazing too with it's big fat torque curve. The M3 is faster than the M5 by a good bit when you compare each not to mention it weighs 400+ lbs less, has a very nice quick ratio rack and pinon instead of rb steering, etc, etc.

In total, there were about 1/2 the number of E90 M3s imported to the USA versus the E39 M5: 5867 vs 9992. It is going to be a highly sought after car as the years go by...both of them actually.

It you're not inclined to take on the CA retrofit yourself, it wouldn't surprise me that in California there are some shops who have done this multiple times on E9x cars -- just need to find the right shop!

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #55
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Don't miss the Legends of the Autobahn event! That would be the highlight of my week there if I was able to get away this year.

The S65 is an amazing engine as you're now exploring. Keeping it on the boil between 6000-8400 is a wonderful experience, sort of the inverse of the E39 M5 where the party is over at 7k; of course the M5's party between 4500-7k is amazing too with it's big fat torque curve. The M3 is faster than the M5 by a good bit when you compare each not to mention it weighs 400+ lbs less, has a very nice quick ratio rack and pinon instead of rb steering, etc, etc.

In total, there were about 1/2 the number of E90 M3s imported to the USA versus the E39 M5: 5867 vs 9992. It is going to be a highly sought after car as the years go by...both of them actually.

It you're not inclined to take on the CA retrofit yourself, it wouldn't surprise me that in California there are some shops who have done this multiple times on E9x cars -- just need to find the right shop!

Regards,
Chuck
I owned the E39 M5 and a Honda S2000 (2002, so 9k rpm... Now for sale) at the same time for a couple of years, and loved them both, the M5 more so. However, sometimes I dreamed of combining the power, sound, and luxury/comfort of the M5 with the nimble, quick feeling and endless revviness of the S2000. I knew the M3 would fit that bill very well while being even faster and more modern than both. So far, very happy.

The M5 is much more of a muscle car - a subtle, gentlemanly sedan that goes and handles better than people would expect. The combination of torque at all times with leather everywhere and a buttery ride were incredibly satisfying. While the M3 doesn't have that muscle car brute force, it is definitely a lighter and more willing partner on a great road. The weight difference is really only about 300lbs I believe (I think the quoted 4,024lbs for the M5 includes a driver), but it feels like more. Maybe partially because mine is a somewhat light spec (slicktop and manual seats).

It's funny though, I'm finding myself wanting the same basic mods that I did to the M5 - a shorter shift throw and an exhaust that isn't so quiet. I'm hoping an F10 knob and OEM exhaust mod will suffice.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #56
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, I was quoting the weight difference for a slicktop 6MT which is over 100lbs lighter than a sunroof DCT car. BMWNA weight spec has to show what a car would weigh with the commonly sold options, hence it includes DCT and sunroof.

Agree on the exhaust, however the intake song on the M3 is vastly louder and incredible compared to the M5, especially up high in the rev range. I've been trying to decide on a different exhaust for years, and after hearing many different ones, I've settled on it either being the BMW Performance exhaust or Dinan since I want something that isn't too crazy loud, no drone, high quality, etc. Both of those are also highly sought after in used sales, so if you end up not liking it, it's easy to sell. I've had the Dinan system on my M5 for 8-9 years now, and have always thought it was perfect in terms of additional loudness while not being annoying at anytime.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #57
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Yeah, I was quoting the weight difference for a slicktop 6MT which is over 100lbs lighter than a sunroof DCT car. BMWNA weight spec has to show what a car would weigh with the commonly sold options, hence it includes DCT and sunroof.

Agree on the exhaust, however the intake song on the M3 is vastly louder and incredible compared to the M5, especially up high in the rev range. I've been trying to decide on a different exhaust for years, and after hearing many different ones, I've settled on it either being the BMW Performance exhaust or Dinan since I want something that isn't too crazy loud, no drone, high quality, etc. Both of those are also highly sought after in used sales, so if you end up not liking it, it's easy to sell. I've had the Dinan system on my M5 for 8-9 years now, and have always thought it was perfect in terms of additional loudness while not being annoying at anytime.
Good point about DCT weight. 3,726lbs quoted for E90 - 45lbs DCT - 40lbs sunroof - 22lbs manual seats gets me to around 3,620lbs.

Used Dinan and MPE are also on my list. A used MPE for E90 just popped up locally and I'm so tempted to get it, especially with the refund I'm getting. But we're buying a house soon and taxes and extended warranty are adding up, so it'll have to wait. The intake sounds awesome over 3k, I just want a little more attitude at lower revs, like in parking garages, hehe...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #58
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good point about DCT weight. 3,726lbs quoted for E90 - 45lbs DCT - 40lbs sunroof - 22lbs manual seats gets me to around 3,620lbs.

Used Dinan and MPE are also on my list. A used MPE for E90 just popped up locally and I'm so tempted to get it, especially with the refund I'm getting. But we're buying a house soon and taxes and extended warranty are adding up, so it'll have to wait. The intake sounds awesome over 3k, I just want a little more attitude at lower revs, like in parking garages, hehe...
Be careful shopping for a used MPE. BMW changed the design slightly for version 2, adding stress relief holes, since so many of the original design were cracking. There are threads here on the board all about the design change. The best deal I've found on the MPE is on eBay by Morristown BMW. Recently BMW did a 25% rebate that applied to Mperformance exhausts among many other things, so that would have been the ideal time to buy it -- I missed it by a few days.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #59
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Bummer - I'm very particular about packages/options so if a car showed up w/o something I was expecting, I'd be pissed.

With that said, you gotta use a BMW VIN decoder and know exactly what you're getting. These dealer ads are often times incorrect, even BMW dealers. The dealer ad for my X5 claimed to have Premium Sound but the decoder indicated otherwise.
Appreciate 0