BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #1871
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
I bought my Sub C used from dealer last Jan and its already appreciated more than 10%. Not a bad ROI on something I enjoy everyday. I wish I can say the same for my M3 (which I also enjoy daily but going down in value).
it was a rhetorical question

i just dont believe a "financial planner" is advising car mods are better investments than watches...
      05-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #1872
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
Actually made another purchase over the weekend in Vegas. Stepped it up again hnoes
Oh really, do tell.
      05-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #1873
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Dark Knight edition watch from Diesel
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #1874
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Superocean 44 I picked up on my cruise in Alaska last week

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #1875
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson524 View Post
Superocean 44 I picked up on my cruise in Alaska last week

Nice. I like me some Breitlings. I have the Bentley and owned the Chronomat. I am still killing myself as my buddy got custom done Breitling B-2's. He is an F-16 pilot and they ordered 20 pieces and they were custom numbered with an F-16 on the dial. I just didn't have the cash then and I have been bummed since.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1876
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
Nice. I like me some Breitlings. I have the Bentley and owned the Chronomat. I am still killing myself as my buddy got custom done Breitling B-2's. He is an F-16 pilot and they ordered 20 pieces and they were custom numbered with an F-16 on the dial. I just didn't have the cash then and I have been bummed since.
Ahh that would have be awesome! I've been looking at a Breitling for a while and finally just pulled the trigger on my trip since sales tax was only $60 for anything over $1,000 and it was the first authorized dealer to actually give me a decent price. I'd love to get a Chronomat next.

After I purchased the Breitling I got it sized in the next port of call as I didn't have time where I got it and the President of Breitling USA was there and I got to have lunch with him and talk with him for an hour. It was definitely a cool experience and a good story to go with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #1877
Pandi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

I have a few more but too lazy to get them out!

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #1878
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steal View Post
Really? Watches....?

Honestly, I have been a financial advisor for 25 years and performance car junkie... ...as your financial planner I recommend you save your money and stop wasting it on 1 to 3k watches....

If your going to waste your money....at least waste it on mods... thats what I used to do....

Scratched up Ironman Triathlon Timex....
I know you are joking around, but oddly enough I just had this same conversation with a client the other day (I’m also an advisor).

If you’re going to buy a watch, either spend good money on it, or spend $50 on it.

A $50 watch can be broken or lost and in the worst case, it cost you $50.

A $5000 Rolex Submariner may cost a lot of money, but quality timepieces will likely continue to appreciate in value. If you keep that watch for 5 years and sell it for $8000, you made $3000 on the deal.

However, a $1000 Movado is still an overpriced Quartz watch. The day you buy it, it’s worth at most 70% of the value. In 5 years after it has seen some use, you’ll be lucky to retain 50% of your money. In short, that watch cost you more money than the $50 or $5000 watch.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #1879
Pandi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

I wish I could find a $5k submariner! I see what you mean though. My datejust was $1200 when we bought in 1987.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #1880
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Estoril MSport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335viaSTi View Post
Oh really, do tell.
Zenith Pilot. Should arrive at my house next week Tuesday.

And still loving my B&R. You should look at one :shifty
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #1881
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Quote:
Zenith Pilot. Should arrive at my house next week Tuesday.

And still loving my B&R. You should look at one :shifty
Nice pickup on the Zenith. I have be doing some research and I have checked out a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control, a Rolex Submariner Date, and of course B&R keeps pulling me back. I do wish they didn't just take someone elses movement and put it in their case though. We shall see. Now I have to check out the Zeniths, very nice indeed.
      05-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #1882
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep

Zenith does all their own stuff. Not just a 'pretty face' like my B&R.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #1883
martini
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Lum-Tec Bull 45- such a nice watch.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #1884
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

On the topic of financial advisors recommending a modified car over a nice watch, who wore a timex.

I would take my money elsewhere..... sorry dude, you need to step up your game big time.

do you wear a shirt and tie to work or tennis shoes and shorts when you're talking with a client? I hope I'm not offending you, but as someone who has dealt with financial advisors and investors regularly. I wouldn't be caught dead talking about my financial situation with someone with a scratched up watch that hasn't been taken care of. It shows lack of pride in appearance and that can reflect in the persons work.

You don't have to get a 10,000$ watch, but at least get a brand a higher end client will recognise (ie, tag, omega, rolex) and the client will see you as more successful. and potentially will be more likely to trust your judgement. I'm sorry to say that this is reality, but it is. Your car may be nice, and show good taste and judgement, but your client will likely never see what you drive, and as you don't park it in your office, they won't see your success as an advisor without that knowledge. This is where a mid to high end watch comes in. You can buy a 1000$ classy looking quartz Tag so that you aren't throwing away a lot of money, but it looks good, and has a more expensive name. Your clients will notice.

Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #1885
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Zenith does all their own stuff. Not just a 'pretty face' like my B&R.
I love my zenith, I would buy it again if i had to do things over.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #1886
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I love my zenith, I would buy it again if i had to do things over.
Good to hear. Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1887
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

One of the reasons I bought my Panerai PAM 0072 was that it had a Zenith movement in it. It has a clear back so the movement can be viewed. It's a handsome movement.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #1888
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
On the topic of financial advisors recommending a modified car over a nice watch, who wore a timex.

I would take my money elsewhere..... sorry dude, you need to step up your game big time.

do you wear a shirt and tie to work or tennis shoes and shorts when you're talking with a client? I hope I'm not offending you, but as someone who has dealt with financial advisors and investors regularly. I wouldn't be caught dead talking about my financial situation with someone with a scratched up watch that hasn't been taken care of. It shows lack of pride in appearance and that can reflect in the persons work.

You don't have to get a 10,000$ watch, but at least get a brand a higher end client will recognise (ie, tag, omega, rolex) and the client will see you as more successful. and potentially will be more likely to trust your judgement. I'm sorry to say that this is reality, but it is. Your car may be nice, and show good taste and judgement, but your client will likely never see what you drive, and as you don't park it in your office, they won't see your success as an advisor without that knowledge. This is where a mid to high end watch comes in. You can buy a 1000$ classy looking quartz Tag so that you aren't throwing away a lot of money, but it looks good, and has a more expensive name. Your clients will notice.

Just food for thought.
I wrote a couple paragraphs but I came back and edited because who cares......Some quick points instead:

1.Thanks for the advice....but I dont need it. We do business with multi million dollar clients and we choose our clients. So your statement...."I wouldn't be caught dead talking about my financial situation with someone with a scratched up watch that hasn't been taken care of." Dont worry we wouldn't do business with you either.

2.I was joking around about the mods- obviously. I never said they were a good investment....however watches are not either. If you think they are, I could show you portfolio that would make you reconsider. If you want to waste your money on watches ....go for it ..you only live once.

3. I also think its funny to hear that I need to "step up my game" really? I can retire yesterday and I am 47 - so no ..I dont need to "step up my game". I have been doing this for 25 years and when you know what your doing, and can prove it through results, you dont need car salesman tricks like a show off watch to impress people...

4. I would suggest that if you are looking for an investment advisor you get your head out of the condesending cloud your in, and start grading your investment advisor and people in general, by what they do, not how they look or what they own.

Thats one of the problems with this world....too many materialistic drones, judging others based on looks, skin color, watches, aligator belts ....lol what a joke....

Last edited by Cool Steel; 05-31-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #1889
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep

allot makes me laugh... Congrats on your accomplishments in the business.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #1890
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Warren Buffet wears a Rolex Presidente, 18k gold at that. I guess to you millionaires that is not much of a watch.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/melros...web2254564.htm

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #1891
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Currently just my iPhizzle. But I want to get my first Breitling soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #1892
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:

Just food for thought.
Some of the biggest producers in my complex drive a Toyota Camry, Ford F150, or another reasonably priced car. My director came from our private banking group and exclusively dealt with $5million+ clients. He doesn't even wear a watch and he uses free pens that get handed out by wholesalers.

My point is: material things do not make a good advisor. I will say that many people like yourself do appreciate someone driving a brand new M5, wearing a $2000 suit, and sporting a Rolex Daytona. It's hard to afford those things when you're a smaller producer, but they don't make a good advisor. Obviously, a place like New York is going to be much different. That's a material place where those things are largely appreciated.

Here in Texas, the biggest producers don’t even wear suits. They’re wearing khakis and a button down (and sometimes even more casual than that).

Now people like me can’t get away with that just yet. I’m trying to build a Million Dollar Practice. I’m in my mid 20s and I get asked more than 50% of the time how old I am. As a result, I have to “advertise” myself with the material things you’re suggesting. I never wear a watch worth less than $2000, I carry around $1000 worth of pens in my $800 briefcase, and I’m wearing a suit probably 80 hours a week. I also happen to enjoy those things so I’m not doing it for the sole reason of impressing people. I have to “display” my success in order to gain someone’s initial respect to listen to me. However, ultimately, I earn their respect with the work I do for them.

With that said, even I’m not living above my means. The only debt I carry is in my car, and I financed it only because it’s costing me 2.9% a year (as an advisor I’d hope I could yield a better return than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steal View Post
I wrote a couple paragraphs but I came back and edited because who cares......Some quick points instead:

1.Thanks for the advice....but I dont need it. We do business with multi million dollar clients and we choose our clients. So your statement...."I wouldn't be caught dead talking about my financial situation with someone with a scratched up watch that hasn't been taken care of." Dont worry we wouldn't do business with you either.

2.I was joking around about the mods- obviously. I never said they were a good investment....however watches are not either. If you think they are, I could show you portfolio that would make you reconsider. If you want to waste your money on watches ....go for it ..you only live once.

3. I also think its funny to hear that I need to "step up my game" really? I can retire yesterday and I am 47 - so no ..I dont need to "step up my game". I have been doing this for 25 years and when you know what your doing, and can prove it through results, you dont need car salesman tricks like a show off watch to impress people...

4. I would suggest that if you are looking for an investment advisor you get your head out of the condesending cloud your in, and start grading your investment advisor and people in general, by what they do, not how they look or what they own.

Thats one of the problems with this world....too many materialistic drones, judging others based on looks, skin color, watches, aligator belts ....lol what a joke....
Read what I wrote above. I completely agree with you. I also managed to see the humor in your first post which was obviously meant as a joke.

As I said, someone who has been in the business for as long as you have doesn’t need to prove themselves. Most people with that much time in the business are growing their business primarily off referrals anyways. No one refers their advisor to their friend because they own expensive things. Referrals are generated by delivering a top tier level of service.

If you appreciate the finer things in life then more power to you. We’re all driving BMWs so to some extent all of us do. Some people may appreciate expensive watches, pens, and suits, but not everyone does. In the end, I would hope you would trust a professional with your life savings because they are good at their job rather than how expensive they look.

EDIT-Here is the best example of this point: If you haven't already Google Warren Buffet's house in Omaha Nebraska. I consider him pretty successful.
Appreciate 0