BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #1761
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
I don't see the point in carrying on the same conversation in two different threads by pulling quotes from another thread and bringing it here. If clarification is so important, then you can ask and wait for an answer or send a PM. It's usually impolite to pull comments from one thread and bring them over to another. Most people might consider that an aggressive move; but it doesn't bother me to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
If the other thread is relevant, there should be no issue linking it as it pertains to the same issue, and contains comments you made in reference to the subject at hand. I'm sorry if others may take this as an aggressive move, although I don't understand that to be the case. This is common practice and is a discussion forum. The reference was for informational purposes and not an act of aggression.
C'mon Mike and RG. Let's call it quits. It's all about a matter of opinion and how we individually interpret it. We're grown ups and what's the point in fighting over couple of words here and there.

RG, I don't think Mike was trying to discredit you. Probably he's looking for answers and clarification just like me or any other respected member on this board. Keep in mind he's a tuner and not an engine builder, and you're vica versa.

We need to respect each other which I think is very important has been lacking lately.

I am sure we'll call it quits here please Mike and RG. Thank you very much.
      01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #1762
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

What he said...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #1763
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Some tight clearance in this thread !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #1764
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUDVL
I see what you did there... Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #1765
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanto///M
Quote:
I see what you did there... Lol
Lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #1766
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Slick!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #1767
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
C'mon Mike and RG. Let's call it quits. It's all about a matter of opinion and how we individually interpret it. We're grown ups and what's the point in fighting over couple of words here and there.

RG, I don't think Mike was trying to discredit you. Probably he's looking for answers and clarification just like me or any other respected member on this board. Keep in mind he's a tuner and not an engine builder, and you're vica versa.

We need to respect each other which I think is very important has been lacking lately.

I am sure we'll call it quits here please Mike and RG. Thank you very much.
If Mike wants answers, he can start by asking a question.

This thread has had its problems with a small handful of people trying to put words into my (and other's) mouths. Some are accidental, others are intentional. I'm not going to judge Mike's as intentional. However, it's one thing to have an interpretation, it's another thing to make something up that wasn't there in the first place and try to put it in somebody's mouth. Mike presents himself to this forum as an expert and perfectionist -- always correcting people with little gotcha comments -- comments that are often wrong themselves...like this one from earlier today. To the man who demands perfection from others, perfection should be expected of him.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #1768
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:
Slick!
Every time a good thread is going good, some members decide to go at it which is funny to me.
Every single person that started drama on the forum that I met in person was nothing but a gentleman. So I don't really get it !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #1769
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
RG,

You can consider it a "gotcha" comment, but it was simply accurately stating what is in the owners manual (which you suggested that he reference).

Accuracy is important, especially when measuring bearings. My comment was not incorrect, it was a cut and paste from the BMW manual.

Edit: it appears BMW added 0w-40 in later manuals. The fact that they have continuously added new oils that are suitable every year supports the conclusion that they are not doing that as a "fix" because they messed something up.

I'm pretty sure most people that read your comment about "BMW messing it up twice" took it the same exact way that I did.

Please let it rest. It would be nice to see a concise general summary of what you've learned so far in your research on this matter.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #1770
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUDVL View Post
Every time a good thread is going good, some members decide to go at it which is funny to me.
Every single person that started drama on the forum that I met in person was nothing but a gentleman. So I don't really get it !
Absolutely. Just because you're "face-less" doesn't give the right to tarnish and ridicule one another.

This is where active moderation is required. Not sitting behind the scene and banning people for petty comments.
      01-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #1771
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
RG,

You can consider it a "gotcha" comment, but it was simply accurately stating what is in the owners manual (which you suggested that he reference).

Accuracy is important, especially when measuring bearings. My comment was not incorrect, it was a cut and paste from the BMW manual.

I'm pretty sure most people that read your comment about "BMW messing it up twice" took it the same exact way that I did.

Please let it rest. It would be nice to see a concise general summary of what you've learned so far in your research on this matter.
There is really no reasonable interpretation of my rather broad comments on oil that lead to your very narrow interpretation and gotha correction. But just in case you haven't seen it...your correction was only partially correct, and has now been corrected itself. Remember what I said about your corrections often being wrong themselves. (Comments on CAN bus discussion as well.)
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #1772
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The older bearings are just outside of the Clevite spec (about 10% "tighter") but the newer ones are well inside it. Furthermore (not because you are claiming so but just as a preemptive point) any such specification is inherently based on a nominal value thus it is not appropriate to cherry pick the very tightest old (088/089) case at 0.00059 in/in and claim that to be radically outside of the 0.0075 in/in specification.
I don't believe in doing that, and I hope I've been careful not to do that. I agree, nominal should be what we're talking about.

Quote:
Also (as suggested prior) since Clevite is not the manufacturer for these bearings we really should not even be holding them to the exact same standard. Either way the notion that the S65 (rod bearing) clearances are radically tighter than this "norm" should now be pretty well laid to rest as false.
I'm confused. Clevite did manufacture the 088/089's...and they are the tighter of the two designs.

I know I've mentioned this before, but the "Clevite spec" really isn't the Clevite spec. That same "spec" can be found in multiple engine design books, some I believe going back many decades. I think I've found three different books that mention it long before Clevite put it in a PDF file.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the flip side to this is that BWM did either design in (most likely in my opinion or perhaps accepted as a consequence of manufacturing) a 20% increase (dead between my prior 15-25% estimate based on bearing thicknesses alone) in bearing clearance along with the update from the old (088/089) to new (702/703) bearings. Unfortunately, we'll most likely never know if this was some preemptive effort against premature bearing/engine failures. It seems reasonable that the material itself may simply have required a different actual clearance that is some way is more like the same initial clearance.
In my industry, when a fab designs a new transistor fab process, they do give us design guidelines for designing chips. So I can see how this may be possible. But I'm wondering how the same thing applies to bearings when the journals aren't ever supposed to touch the bearings. I've asked this before to YS or SFP and didn't get an answer. It's a legit question IMO and I'd still like to know. But let's say for argument sake that it's true that some bearing surfaces require more clearance. Why? Maybe the surface that is more porous would create more friction and require more clearance? If that's the case, I would assume that to be the 088/089 bearing with lead surface that's intended to embed and catch small debris and not the 702/703 bearing with tin surface that is much harder and isn't intended to embed or catch small debris. So just from thinking about it the way I think of it...088/089's would be the ones requiring the extra clearance, not the 702/703's.

Quote:
-"Official" really should not be used as a term. This is not a number off of a print, it is an observed sample population mean.
I know what you're saying. Not sure I'll change it...but I know what you're saying. I want this thread to be used in the future by engine builders who can measure his/her clearance then very quickly find how it compares. The word "official clearance" is that type of eye grabbing phrase to do that. I just haven't thought of any other eye grabbing phrase that would have the same effect.

Quote:
-"Nominal Bearing Clearance" also is not a nominal value, a nominal value is a print/design value simply without a tolerance". This should simply be called a Measured Clearance.
Hmmm. Let me think about that when I'm not under a time deadline. I may need to come back to that.

Quote:
-What are Min and Max Stack Up Clearances? Are they just to account for the additional variation of +/- 0.0005 on the crank?
Yes...exactly.

Quote:
-Lastly it is a bit odd to also include the Van Dyne measurements here most notably because in the final white/grey tables some include those efforts and some don't.
I'm not sure how to incorporate that here. After I finish the eccentricity article...let me come back to that and see if I can find something that works.

Quote:
Observations:

There is no overlap in the clearances (total range with min/max values) in the tables for the old/new bearings. Also there is a similar and very large ratio of the difference in the mean clearances for the old/new compared to the standard deviation thus leaving no doubt that the consistency of the measurement is not an issue and is fully capturing a real difference in the assembled parts.
If you could post two charts with those values, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
Again,

the notion that the S65 (rod bearing) clearances are radically tighter than the Clevite recommendation should now be pretty well laid to rest as false.
I said "cuts in half" not "radically tighter." And I think we all know that I was referring to the 0.001 inch/inch metric. Let's keep it real here. I will likely reword that slightly (only slightly) based on these new measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although you have not been the strongest proponent of the theory that BMW completely screwed the pooch big time on clearances, you've clearly been in that camp. See below, which you have posted in one form or another a good half dozen times or more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy
There are three things we seem to know for a fact:
1.There is a long standing clearance-to-journal ratio best practice rule that factory and racing engine builders alike have followed for 50+ years. This best practice clearance ratio is well documented in many of web sites, and recommended by Clevite, the maker of the S65 engine bearings. The S65 engine cuts that clearance ratio in half. (1, 2)
Here's what I've been waiting for...and still am waiting for. I'm waiting for somebody (you, SFP, YS, or anybody) to find a reference in an engine design book, online web site, etc. that shows this is NOT a best practice ratio. I think that's a pretty big hill to climb because I've found this best practice spec mentioned on literally page after page of google search results and haven't found any that dispute it. So to disprove it, show me something that...disputes it and has as many practitioners who disagree with it. I know it may be unpopular, but until I see that...the comment in its basic form has not been proven false in any way shape or form.

Quote:
Either way I also don't know the answer to YS's original question.
That's because it's a fool's question and once again he tried to insert something into the conversation that never exited before while acting like it did.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #1773
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
You mentioned to PM. So I PMed you in an effort to put an end to this childish back and forth, and gain clarification on what you said was incorrect that I said about can bus. You replied not to PM you again that you would report me. Very classy.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #1774
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
You mentioned to PM. So I PMed you in an effort to put an end to this childish back and forth, and gain clarification on what you said was incorrect that I said about can bus. You replied not to PM you again that you would report me. Very classy.
Let's all of us try an experiment. Here's the experiment: If we can't think of anything productive to add to this bearing/clearance discussion, let's all try shutting up.

I'll go first. Zzzip.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #1775
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Edit: it appears BMW added 0w-40 in later manuals. The fact that they have continuously added new oils that are suitable every year supports the conclusion that they are not doing that as a "fix" because they messed something up.
Many people have looked at the BMW manual and made the same mistake. I believe I made the same mistake when I first read that part of the manual. That section of BMW manual is discussing "top-off oil." That's the oil you use when you're not near a BMW dealer and find yourself needing a quart of oil. That topic and section of the manual is not related to BMW's August-2013 change in policy to allow LL01 oils on the S65.

I think you got confused because you took two different posts of mine in the same thread and combined them into a single topic. The first was my comments about BMW "chasing something" and my second was with respect to "top-off" oils. They are two separate topics that are unrelated. It's an honest mistake IMO...no harm, no foul.

Quote:
By putting that comment in quotes, it sounds like I made comments like that or similar to that...but I didn't. I never said "BMW (messed) up twice." I said it seemed to me that BMW's multiple actions (2011 clearance changes, 2013 oil changes) look like they were chasing something -- as if they were trying to address and fix a problem. I still believe that and should present more evidence on that topic later tonight.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1776
CSL_E36
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96' S54 E36 ///M3 17' M2

Here is some good news for all the skeptics out there. Nearly 64k from an 08' and clean as a whistle!

For all those that are running 0W40, I think your madd! FYI DINAN recommends Total 10W60 for their stroker motors. If a company who is developing a 700bhp race version S65 for Tudor racing series, recommends running 10W60 on their "street" builds, I certainly would take that with more then a grain of salt...

Personally I think all the failures we hear about come from tolerance differences with mass production. There is nothing wrong with the design of the S65.
      01-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #1777
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post
Here is some good news for all the skeptics out there. Nearly 64k from an 08' and clean as a whistle!

For all those that are running 0W40, I think your madd! FYI DINAN recommends Total 10W60 for their stroker motors. If a company who is developing a 700bhp race version S65 for Tudor racing series, recommends running 10W60 on their "street" builds, I certainly would take that with more then a grain of salt...
Dinan also opens up the clearance to a very liberal value which makes perfect sense for using Total 10W60.

Quote:
Personally I think all the failures we hear about come from tolerance differences with mass production. There is nothing wrong with the design of the S65.
That's pretty much exactly what I've said in this thread as well. That's what I call "tolerance stack up" which leads to engine failures -- usually early in life. But the tight clearance isn't a free rid. I hope you've seen the bearing photos posted on the front page. Those photos seem to tell a story of engines that won't last for hundreds of thousands of miles -- which I believe is exactly what our S85 brothers are finding out now. We will find out ourselves in the next few years.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #1778
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Loosen up

Alright Alright....
Some peeps in this thread should relax and just take in all data and knowledge within 81 pages! I myself have learned more than I ever wanted to know about bearings and clearances! LOL!

Attached Images

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #1779
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
swamp2: Will not
SFP: Should Not.
Yellow Snow: Will not
Did.
Did.
Did.

Quote:
I think there maybe a difference in eccentricity though.
Yes there is. I'll post that next.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #1780
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Interestingly, when I brought my car into the Dinan center, I asked if they would change my oil using 0w-40. The SA checked back with corporate and under no uncertain terms, said to absolutely continue to use 10w-60 and that if I wanted to use 0W-40, I'd have to get it changed somewhere else, ie they would not do it. When I asked why, I got no answer and they said that someone from corporate would get back to me to explain why. Still have yet to hear from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LTWM3 View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #1781
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Alright Alright....
Some peeps in this thread should relax and just take in all data and knowledge within 81 pages! I myself have learned more than I ever wanted to know about bearings and clearances! LOL!

Larry how can I get anything productive done when I keep laughing my ass off at these?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #1782
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Interestingly, when I brought my car into the Dinan center, I asked if they would change my oil using 0w-40. The SA checked back with corporate and under no uncertain terms, said to absolutely continue to use 10w-60 and that if I wanted to use 0W-40, I'd have to get it changed somewhere else, ie they would not do it. When I asked why, I got no answer and they said that someone from corporate would get back to me to explain why. Still have yet to hear from them.
When was this? How recently? Dinan sold the company about six months ago. Steve Dinan is no longer the owner. They are big corporation owned now.
Appreciate 0